The Student Room Group

My dream is in trouble

Hi everyone, my name is Selsabil Dhaouadi and I've just fished high school so I'm ready for university!
First of all, I want to apologize if I'll do mistakes in grammar or something else! :wink:

My big dream, for too many reasons, is to do medicine at university in England, but unfortunately I live in Italy, and here one of the things that doesn't work is education.
I'll explain it better, when we are at high school and we need the final grade, is extremely hard to get a high grade, like 90/100 and so on, in fact just one in a school get it, and too many times he/she gets it not thank's to their work (special measures, if you understand...); so people like me that works hard for 5 years with no special families get lower grades.
But I still want to do medicine and I really want to get over it.
So I've filled and sent an application form to 5 universities in Englad through UCAS; 3 of medicine (this is the maximum of med school applications that you can have) and 2 (like and insurance) of Biomedical science.
The med schools needs 90/100 at least and biomedical faculty wants 70 (London met) and 85 (Brunel University); I had a lot of problems in my family (my dad now is paralyzed) and with my health (I get badly sick, but I'm recovering now) during the last three years of my life.
But I still want medicine so badly, maybe more than ever.
So in the Esame di Stato I get 78/100.
The only university that will accept me now is the London Metropolitan for Biomedical science, and happy for that even if that's not what I wanted; but I'm still trying to figure out if there is chance to get into a medical school, even if they ask for 90, what can I do?
I'm not familiar with the british educational system, so my question is: Can I do an year of Biomed and then change to med school? Will they look for the 90 even if I do all the exams with good grades in the first year of university? Is there a solution for this mess? And if yes which uni do you recommend for med school?

Thank's :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. In the UK some universities do allow first year transfer if you do well enough, but i'm not sure if london-met would.

However, other universities allow you to apply for graduate entry, which is competitive. If you do very well in your degree and get work experience and so on, you could look into that - but i recommend you to double check this.

I do sincerely wish the best for you.
Reply 2
[QUOTE=Tawheed;57638815]Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. In the UK some universities do allow first year transfer if you do well enough, but i'm not sure if london-met would.

However, other universities allow you to apply for graduate entry, which is competitive. If you do very well in your degree and get work experience and so on, you could look into that - but i recommend you to double check this.

I do sincerely wish the best for you.

Original post by Selsabil
Hi everyone, my name is Selsabil Dhaouadi and I've just fished high school so I'm ready for university!
First of all, I want to apologize if I'll do mistakes in grammar or something else! :wink:

My big dream, for too many reasons, is to do medicine at university in England, but unfortunately I live in Italy, and here one of the things that doesn't work is education.
I'll explain it better, when we are at high school and we need the final grade, is extremely hard to get a high grade, like 90/100 and so on, in fact just one in a school get it, and too many times he/she gets it not thank's to their work (special measures, if you understand...); so people like me that works hard for 5 years with no special families get lower grades.
But I still want to do medicine and I really want to get over it.
So I've filled and sent an application form to 5 universities in Englad through UCAS; 3 of medicine (this is the maximum of med school applications that you can have) and 2 (like and insurance) of Biomedical science.
The med schools needs 90/100 at least and biomedical faculty wants 70 (London met) and 85 (Brunel University); I had a lot of problems in my family (my dad now is paralyzed) and with my health (I get badly sick, but I'm recovering now) during the last three years of my life.
But I still want medicine so badly, maybe more than ever.
So in the Esame di Stato I get 78/100.
The only university that will accept me now is the London Metropolitan for Biomedical science, and happy for that even if that's not what I wanted; but I'm still trying to figure out if there is chance to get into a medical school, even if they ask for 90, what can I do?
I'm not familiar with the british educational system, so my question is: Can I do an year of Biomed and then change to med school? Will they look for the 90 even if I do all the exams with good grades in the first year of university? Is there a solution for this mess? And if yes which uni do you recommend for med school?

Hi,

Sorry for any issues you had, but they would fall under extenuating circumstances which allow universities to be lenient.
A few other things is, 4 is the maximum number of medicine schools you can apply to. Also do not go London Met, it is considered incredibly low with very little regard. You could try clearing and try to get into something better for biomed, SGUL would have been a better choice...but do also remember that Medicine is incredibly competitive in the UK.
Reply 4

London Met, i have nothing against, but i think there are better universities in London to be studying biomedical science. The issue i have is, when you try - if you wish- to apply for graduate entry medicine, that is after getting a degree and a first or 2.1 (i can't remember, but it's a high requirement) , i am not sure if universities will discriminate you based on where you obtained your qualification - so many you might want to call or email them up.

I'm also not too sure on internationa applications, or if its more competitive which i feel it is.

Medicine is competitive in the UK, but you just need luck and know how to play the game.
Reply 5
[QUOTE=Tawheed;57638975]London Met, i have nothing against, but i think there are better universities in London to be studying biomedical science. The issue i have is, when you try - if you wish- to apply for graduate entry medicine, that is after getting a degree and a first or 2.1 (i can't remember, but it's a high requirement) , i am not sure if universities will discriminate you based on where you obtained your qualification - so many you might want to call or email them up.

I'm also not too sure on internationa applications, or if its more competitive which i feel it is.

Medicine is competitive in the UK, but you just need luck and know how to play the game.

Do you think that I should call the UCAS team and ask for this information?
How much high is to get in there after biomed?
You know that wasn't my choice to get into london met, I just don't know what to do...:frown:
Reply 6
Do you think that I should call the UCAS team and ask for this information?
How much high is to get in there after biomed?
You know that wasn't my choice to get into london met, I just don't know what to do...:frown:

You can contact the individual universities.

Essentially, don't worry too much about the reputation of London Met. If , after contacting universities that do graduate entry , such as the ones on the list: http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/graduate-entry-programme/

If they say a 2:1 or a first grade in your degree is enough to apply to them, and it does not matter where you got it, so long as you did it with the degree (name it exactly) from London Met, if they say it's fine then a route into medicine could be this way.

If you then go to London Met, work very hard, get a 2:1 or first - not sure which- get hospital work experience(you may even want to work part time at a hospital while doing biomedicine), practise the entrance exams needed for each university, do a lot of things outside i.e extra curriculars, volunteering sport, and truly reflect on medicine as a career and then apply to an actual medical school through graduate entry , it's tough, it's competitive, but that's life - you have a chance!

The things you need to do are:

1. Call or email or contact each individual university, or a number you think you might want to apply via graduate entry, ask them if they'll accept the degree you are doing (name it exactly, biomedicine is it a bsc? i.e what is the exact degree qualification? Write them and email and maybe link to the page and also call them) and say it is from London Met and if it will matter. Maybe they want to see you get a 2:1 and don't care about where you got it.

2. I'm not too sure about universities that allow you to transfer from another university in the first year, they may exist but i don't know of them.

3. Have you looked into medical schools in europe? A lot of people who do not get in to UK medical schools and are from the UK apply to these ones - would you be interested in this so i can look it up for you?

In life there's hope. You just need to get smart with the process.
Reply 7
x

About your ilness, maybe let the universities know by contacting them and ask them if they would be lenient with regards to that, but i'm not sure too much about this.
Reply 8
[QUOTE=Tawheed;57639115]You can contact the individual universities.

Essentially, don't worry too much about the reputation of London Met. If , after contacting universities that do graduate entry , such as the ones on the list: http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/graduate-entry-programme/

If they say a 2:1 or a first grade in your degree is enough to apply to them, and it does not matter where you got it, so long as you did it with the degree (name it exactly) from London Met, if they say it's fine then a route into medicine could be this way.

If you then go to London Met, work very hard, get a 2:1 or first - not sure which- get hospital work experience(you may even want to work part time at a hospital while doing biomedicine), practise the entrance exams needed for each university, do a lot of things outside i.e extra curriculars, volunteering sport, and truly reflect on medicine as a career and then apply to an actual medical school through graduate entry , it's tough, it's competitive, but that's life - you have a chance!

The things you need to do are:

1. Call or email or contact each individual university, or a number you think you might want to apply via graduate entry, ask them if they'll accept the degree you are doing (name it exactly, biomedicine is it a bsc? i.e what is the exact degree qualification? Write them and email and maybe link to the page and also call them) and say it is from London Met and if it will matter. Maybe they want to see you get a 2:1 and don't care about where you got it.

2. I'm not too sure about universities that allow you to transfer from another university in the first year, they may exist but i don't know of them.

3. Have you looked into medical schools in europe? A lot of people who do not get in to UK medical schools and are from the UK apply to these ones - would you be interested in this so i can look it up for you?

In life there's hope. You just need to get smart with the process.

Oh my God I am so thankful right now on your help, really !!
Yes I am interested in all Europe I don't care, just want a good uni and that speaks english, so yes if you want to help I am hear to listen, please. :smile:
Reply 9
Oh my God I am so thankful right now on your help, really !!
Yes I am interested in all Europe I don't care, just want a good uni and that speaks english, so yes if you want to help I am hear to listen, please. :smile:

How much time can you give me to research for you?

No problem, i was once in your boat - though i am from the UK. I didn't get into medicine the first time, but did the second.

I will help you to the limits i have, because i don't want to begin to tell you things i am unsure on and therefore misguide you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
I don't know, depend on the deadlines, the biomedical course at london met starts in September; Wow maybe one day I'll do it too, I reallyyyy hope it!

That's my facebook (it's easier there to chat) Selsabil Izabella Dhaouadi
Reply 11
Original post by Tawheed
How much time can you give me to research for you?

No problem, i was once in your boat - though i am from the UK. I didn't get into medicine the first time, but did the second.

I will help you to the limits i have, because i don't want to begin to tell you things i am unsure on and therefore misguide you.

I don't know, depend on the deadlines, the biomedical course at london met starts in September; Wow maybe one day I'll do it too, I reallyyyy hope it!That's my facebook (it's easier there to chat) Selsabil Izabella Dhaouadi
You could do an access course, they're for mature students or people who don't get the required grades for whatever reason. It's also called a foundation year.
Reply 13
Original post by ValhallaCalling!
You could do an access course, they're for mature students or people who don't get the required grades for whatever reason. It's also called a foundation year.

Isn't too late? Cause I'm using UCAS website

Yes, there are universities which allow transfer from biomed to medicine after year 1, but unfortunately London Met is not one of them (you cannot transfer from any university, it has to be one that runs a biomed to med programme). The unis that do offer this include Bradford, Sheffield, SGUL (St George's, University of London), Newcastle, Sussex, Brighton and Leicester. Some may require for transfer the same high school grades as if you were entering their medical school, others ignore it completely and only look at your performance in the 1st year of university and the interview they do.
If you wanted to do this you would have to give up your place at London Met and either try to get into one of these through UCAS Clearing (where unis fill spare places) or reapply this October for 2016 entry.

Graduate entry is also a possibility, where you do a degree (such as biomed, although does not have to be) and then apply for one of the 4 year medicine programmes. You would need to get a 2.1 in your degree. It is highly competitive, but it is a route in if all else fails.

As someone else has pointed out, there are also access to medicine (one year) courses or medicine degrees with a foundation year. They are usually aimed at either mature students, those from deprived backgrounds or those who have not done science A-levels (or equivalent). I am not familiar with Italian school qualifications, so you would need to check if you are eligible for one of these by phoning them.

If you are willing to do it, you might be able to apply for a normal medicine degree by taking 3 A-levels (in chemistry, biology and one other subject); it is possible this could be used instead of your high school qualification. Again, it would be best for you to ask medical schools if they would accept this given your circumstances. As you have extenuating circumstances they are more likely to be lenient.
If you go on UCAS and put Medicine Foundation in the search tool for clearing 2015 and something comes up for Bradford Uni (re what theresheglows wrote)
Reply 16
If you go on UCAS and put Medicine Foundation in the search tool for clearing 2015 and something comes up for Bradford Uni (re what theresheglows wrote)

That's not 'Medicine with a foundation year' though. You seem to confuse Access courses and foundation years and Medicine with a foundation year (all different things) in your other post. Not all of these things give a real chance to get on a medical course (a standalone foundation year is the one which seems least likely to lead anywhere).

Original post by Ronove
That's not 'Medicine with a foundation year' though. You seem to confuse Access courses and foundation years and Medicine with a foundation year (all different things) in your other post. Not all of these things give a real chance to get on a medical course (a standalone foundation year is the one which seems least likely to lead anywhere).

I think they're talking about Bradford's Foundation in Clinical Sciences/Medicine BSc (4 years) which allows transfer to medicine at Leeds after the foundation year or the 1st year.
Another possibility is to apply after you've done the IB. Its far better internationally recognised and would give you fairer representation, if what you say about Italian qualifications is true.
Reply 19
Well, Thank's guys, you really helped me to figure out what to do.
Obviously I'm not giving up to london met, because it's my only chance to go to uni, but I'll call the universities one by one and I'll ask if the accept student transfer from biomedical science from a different uni to medicine in their university and if they will say no, the only chance to do medicine is to do biomed into their uni and if I met all the requirements well I'll use clearing; even I have to take a degree first, I'll do medicine with graduate entree.

What do you think about this plan?

Quick Reply

Latest