Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
tinkerbella~
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Does anyone have any useful tips on preparing for this? I've ordered the recommended book (by Butterworth, if I remember correctly) but I'm struggling on the problem solving aspect. I'm generally quite good at maths, I take both maths and FM and I'm predicted A*s in both next year but for some reason, I suck at simple problems. I've looked through the past TSA threads but can't find anything particularly useful. I'm planning on sitting the Cambridge TSA so I won't have to do the essay aspect luckily. Thank you!
Xphoenix
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would also recommend getting a book called think you can think it's a blue one. Don't have it on me so can't tell you the author but I find this particular book better than the butter worth as it mentions exam technique (which isn't important) but the butter worth and past papers are sufficient. If you run out of papers then do Oxford ones as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by C0pper)
Does anyone have any useful tips on preparing for this? I've ordered the recommended book (by Butterworth, if I remember correctly) but I'm struggling on the problem solving aspect. I'm generally quite good at maths, I take both maths and FM and I'm predicted A*s in both next year but for some reason, I suck at simple problems. I've looked through the past TSA threads but can't find anything particularly useful. I'm planning on sitting the Cambridge TSA so I won't have to do the essay aspect luckily. Thank you!
Which subject and Cambridge college are you looking at - not all colleges require the TSA and in fact some have been dropping it in recent years.

Edit to add: is it Economics (from one of your other posts...)?

If so only John's (of the standard colleges) asks for TSA.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...rses/economics
College Assessment of applicant for this subject
Christ's School/college essay
Churchill School/college essays; College-set study/reading at interview
Clare Interview only
Corpus Christi College test at interview
Downing College test at interview
Emmanuel College-set study/reading at interview
Fitzwilliam College-set study/reading at interview
Girton College test at interview
Gonville & Caius College test at interview
Homerton School/college essay; College test at interview
Hughes Hall College test at interview
Jesus College-set study/reading at interview
King's College-set study/reading at interview
Lucy Cavendish School/college essays; College test at interview
Magdalene School/college essay; College-set study/reading at interview
Murray Edwards College test at interview
Newnham School/college essays; College-set study/reading at interview; College test at interview
Pembroke College test at interview
Peterhouse School/college essay
Queens' School/college essays
Robinson College test at interview
St Catharine's College-set study/reading at interview
St Edmund's Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA)
St John's College-set study/reading before interview; Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA)
Selwyn Interview only
Sidney Sussex College test at interview
Trinity College-set study/reading at interview
Trinity Hall School/college essays; College test at interview
Wolfson Not available at this College
tinkerbella~
Rep:
?
(Original post by jneill)
Which subject and Cambridge college are you looking at - not all colleges require the TSA and in fact some have been dropping it in recent years.

Edit to add: is it Economics (from one of your other posts...)?

If so only John's (of the standard colleges) asks for TSA.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...rses/economics
College Assessment of applicant for this subject
Christ's School/college essay
Churchill School/college essays; College-set study/reading at interview
Clare Interview only
Corpus Christi College test at interview
Downing College test at interview
Emmanuel College-set study/reading at interview
Fitzwilliam College-set study/reading at interview
Girton College test at interview
Gonville & Caius College test at interview
Homerton School/college essay; College test at interview
Hughes Hall College test at interview
Jesus College-set study/reading at interview
King's College-set study/reading at interview
Lucy Cavendish School/college essays; College test at interview
Magdalene School/college essay; College-set study/reading at interview
Murray Edwards College test at interview
Newnham School/college essays; College-set study/reading at interview; College test at interview
Pembroke College test at interview
Peterhouse School/college essay
Queens' School/college essays
Robinson College test at interview
St Catharine's College-set study/reading at interview
St Edmund's Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA)
St John's College-set study/reading before interview; Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA)
Selwyn Interview only
Sidney Sussex College test at interview
Trinity College-set study/reading at interview
Trinity Hall School/college essays; College test at interview
Wolfson Not available at this College
Yeah it's John's for Econ. I've looked at all the different entry requirements and decided both from the colleges themselves and what they need, John's is a favourite. Plus if my UMS isn't as high as i'd like, I think I will have a go at Oxford E&M which requires TSA. Though if I am dreadful at it and can't improve, I'll start looking at other Cambridge colleges.
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tinkerbella~)
\ I'm generally quite good at maths
Oh, rly now?
tinkerbella~
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zacken)
Oh, rly now?
You know it
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah it's John's for Econ. I've looked at all the different entry requirements and decided both from the colleges themselves and what they need, John's is a favourite. Plus if my UMS isn't as high as i'd like, I think I will have a go at Oxford E&M which requires TSA. Though if I am dreadful at it and can't improve, I'll start looking at other Cambridge colleges.
Remember that Cambridge are introducing admissions assessments for 2017 entry. For Economics this is a pre-interview assessment taken at school in November. Colleges are still free to set their own assessments at interview, but unless you've heard from the St John's admissions office that they definitely are using the TSA this year, I wouldn't use the shape of the admissions requirements to choose a college - things might change between now and October.
tinkerbella~
Rep:
?
(Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
Remember that Cambridge are introducing admissions assessments for 2017 entry. For Economics this is a pre-interview assessment taken at school in November. Colleges are still free to set their own assessments at interview, but unless you've heard from the St John's admissions office that they definitely are using the TSA this year, I wouldn't use the shape of the admissions requirements to choose a college - things might change between now and October.
This was actually for 2016 entry, it just got brought up recently for some reason. Thank you though!
slow-loris
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does anyone have any idea of suggested word count for section 2?

I'm currently struggling to write 3 sides, both in terms of time and volume of content.

Please help!
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by slow-loris)
Does anyone have any idea of suggested word count for section 2?

I'm currently struggling to write 3 sides, both in terms of time and volume of content.

Please help!
http://www.admissionstestingservice....guidelines.pdf

..."You will have plenty of space if you want to use it, but a concise and well-structured one-page answer may be more effective than a longer essay."...
Belieber1234
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what is the name of the recommended book??
tinkerbella~
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Belieber1234)
what is the name of the recommended book??
Honestly it's been ages but I think this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/11076063...3DCMC69ZHYGC0J
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (216)
52.3%
No, they should still go ahead (58)
14.04%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (139)
33.66%

Watched Threads