Turn on thread page Beta

Classical Japanese Martial Arts watch

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever thought of taking up a martial art as a hobby?

Now, I'm not talking about Kung Fu movie style flipping around, or a standing in lines shouting and punching like you see in Karate movies

But the less well known traditional Japanese Martial Arts, or Koryu as they are known (Koryu are martial arts traditions that pre date the modernisation of Japan, or Meiji period)

With this we're talking about Samurai martial arts training, highly effective for defending yourself, but practiced in a safe way so you don't have to worry about training injuries - a Samurai army was no good if all the soldiers were injured :-)

But as well as the physical side, these traditions include formal ettiquette, cultural and historical understanding, time tested ways of controlling your midset, and much more..

I've been interested in this for a long time now, has anyone on here practiced a traditional art like this? would anyone like to? what kind of experiences have you had?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a black belt in Shotokan karate, which is different from what you're describing in some ways but in others very similar. There is an emphasis on discipline, self control, and respecting the 'culture' of karate i.e. completing a bowing sequence upon entering or leaving the gym. We were also required to learn proper japanese terms and some amount of history before we were able to get to black belt. Shotokan focuses mainly on defence too, with an emphasis on core strength, unlike other more 'violent' martial arts like kung fu and judo. Since the things you are describing are pretty niche, I think it would be difficult to find a club where you could learn them (unless you live in a big city, in which case I may be wrong), so I think Shotokan would be a really good alternative
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I'm a 1st dan in Shinto Ryu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MNem)
    I'm a black belt in Shotokan karate, which is different from what you're describing in some ways but in others very similar. There is an emphasis on discipline, self control, and respecting the 'culture' of karate i.e. completing a bowing sequence upon entering or leaving the gym. We were also required to learn proper japanese terms and some amount of history before we were able to get to black belt. Shotokan focuses mainly on defence too, with an emphasis on core strength, unlike other more 'violent' martial arts like kung fu and judo. Since the things you are describing are pretty niche, I think it would be difficult to find a club where you could learn them (unless you live in a big city, in which case I may be wrong), so I think Shotokan would be a really good alternative
    Yes you will find lots of the same in the training of Shotokan, some of the biggest differences are around what it was designed for and who practiced it historically - most Karate is Okinawan in origin so history takes you back that way, whereas Koryu goes back to Samurai in Japan, hence the different weapons, strategies, etc...

Yep, they are harder to find, that's for sure, but they are around if you look for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalail)
    I'm a 1st dan in Shinto Ryu
    Is that Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu? Iai / batto?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    I once punched a man with my foot

ReputationRep:
    Nice, where do you practice?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ****_Hunter)
    I once punched a man with my foot
    Swaggy. How?

ReputationRep:
    I love martial arts Because of me moving around quite a bit, I've been lucky enough to practise karate, taekwondo and aikido/aikiken. I've also been to south korea twice (3 weeks both times) and had the wonderful opportunity of training in temples with monks and experience martial arts closer to their roots. I haven't had any opportunity of doing martial arts this year, but hopefully I'll be able to do taekwondo this fall

I believe that doing martial arts can make you into a better person. I went from being a pretty insecure girl to somewhat confident, I know my limits and strenghts. It's wonderful. ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sinemetu3)
    I love martial arts Because of me moving around quite a bit, I've been lucky enough to practise karate, taekwondo and aikido/aikiken. I've also been to south korea twice (3 weeks both times) and had the wonderful opportunity of training in temples with monks and experience martial arts closer to their roots. I haven't had any opportunity of doing martial arts this year, but hopefully I'll be able to do taekwondo this fall

I believe that doing martial arts can make you into a better person. I went from being a pretty insecure girl to somewhat confident, I know my limits and strenghts. It's wonderful. ^^
    Great to hear an example of how it's helped your confidence, I think that is one of the main things you can get from it.

People think that martial artists are tough, or invincible, in truth most are neither in the way it is thought - really it's just confidence and understanding in your own limitations :-)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.