The Student Room Group

4th Option - Please Help!

Hello all,

I am going to do Biology, Physics and Chemistry for A-level but I am stuck for the fourth option. I realise Maths would be the perfect option but at GCSE level I'm achieving low A's and I think If I took for A-level, I may get a poor grade.

Please could you tell me which subjects are respected and which would go well with the three sciences. Also, if possible, could you tell me just how good you need to be to do A-level mathematics!.

Thank You Very Much

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hm i got an A* at GCSE maths, but struggle at AS maths. C1 - the first module is not much of a higher standard, but C2 - module 2 i found a lot harder. Most say that AS is not much harder and it's A2 that gets harder though so it may just be me.

Do you know what you want to study at university? also what GCSEs do you do at the moment. Something like geography, would go with the other 3 sciences.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, I would like to do something scientific. E.g, chemistry, dentistry, biomed, forensics, in fact anything scientifical which doesn't require maths A-level.

Sadly, I didn't take Geography (Stupid decision really) so I'm not too sure what to take. I want to make sure I don't take any 'mickey mouse' A-levels as well though, what would you reccomend?

And I currently take English, Maths, Sciences, R.E, ICT, Media Studies (Dear God), Business Studies and History
Reply 3
Maths is a good choice but if your a science person then psychology would go well with your other ones or PE.PE directly intertwines with biology so it would really help you out.Especially in the 2nd year as well (which im currently in)Psychology is meant to be not as challenging as all the other sciences but is still looked upon greatly
Good luck anyways and i hope u make a good decision
Reply 4
Oh by the way i do physics maths biology and chemistry...and physcs is worse than maths-all my friends who take maths and physics dropped physics after the first year instead of maths.So make sure you think long and hard
Reply 5
If you r planning to carry on all ur sciences to A2, then I would simply choose an AS which u enjoyed at GCSE. no point in doing maths if you don't enjoy it, if you do but worry bout not doing so well, if your getting as in GCSE you should be able to get a B or an A at AS, it only gets difficult in A2, and i imagine whatever subject u choose u r going to drop after a year.
Reply 6
Well I was thinking of taking all four up to A2 as I felt this would improve my entry for Uni :smile: . Will it?

Is Physics really that bad? you don't have to do vector calculus and all that do you?! I was told it's just a bit of Standard form thrown in
Reply 7
History may be a good subject to show you have some contrasting subjects i think...
Reply 8
That's one of the one's I'm thinking of, it's just the course analyses the exciting period of 1421-1431 or something. It's about witchcraft and stuff, anyone done that course? is it tedious?
Reply 9
I would say do History instead of Maths - is it really advisable to only have 4 science subjects?

But remember, an A grade is perfectly fine to do A Level Maths - lots of people can do Further Maths with that grade :smile:
Reply 10
Have you considered economics. its very respected, quite similar to business studies, just has more maths elements. But the maths elements are not as high as A level maths.
Dunno, maybe look into it??
Reply 11
Well if I'm going for a science degree, then I thought it would be good to do all three, especially as I'm getting A*'s in it.

But I don;t know which ones are well respected, and will taking 4 A2's improve my uni entry chance
Reply 12
The thing to remember with A-level maths is that it is completely different to GCSE maths. At GCSE you usually had to apply fairly simple principles to complex situations, which a lot of people find extremely difficult. At A-level you have to apply fairly complex principles (mostly calculus and trig) to very simple and obvious questions. Personally I'm finding A-level maths a hell of a lot easier than GCSE, but of course that's not the case for everyone. If you want to go into the sciences, even in biological sciences, it will help you a lot.

If you really don't want to do maths though I would recommend history for a contrast (me? Biased? Never :p:). It is a brilliant subject but again it is completely different from the GCSE course so I'll warn you now it's bloody difficult. If you find english and in particular writing essays difficult then don't bother, it's not simply fact learning like at GCSE.

Oh and physics A-level isn't that difficult anymore, the most difficult part of the AS course seems to be the nuclear/particle physics.
Reply 13
Thank you for that response.

I am incredibly intrigued by what you mean when you say A-level is easier! How will I know if this applies to me also? what were you like at GCSE level, please expand on this point!
Reply 14
READ THIS

Like you I took a couple of sciences (and economics) but stayed away from maths for AS because of my low A grade at GCSE and now I realise this was a mistake because all of my uni's prefer maths/physics (mainly maths) so I've got to do 5 AS levels now to catch up.

Gcse maths is all about natural ability but if you're willing to work hard you should get an A at maths AS. Maths is also MUCH easier when you don't have about 10 other subjects distracting you, and you will notice that the lack of (lengthy) coursework in Biology & Chemistry (I don't do physics but I dont think theres much coursework involved) will help no end in your work.

A lot of people in my school (B or less maths GCSE) are finding physics hard because of all the maths but they are often the lazy ones. Also it REALLY helps if biology and chemistry were your best subjects at GCSE and came easy to you because a few people drop out after a month or two, but if you're smart and confident enough to not skip the work you will do VERY well.

I was in the exact same situation as you and the best thing you can do is BELIEVE in yourself and you should be able to do maths AS like me, but if you really want to skip maths look for a (respectable) subject with minimal coursework and homework that will let you concentrate on the others.
Reply 15
4 a levels won't improve your entry to uni most people only take 3 subjects to A2, an AAA is better than an AAAB. I would only take the 3 subjects u find the most fun at as to a2. having said this i am planning to take all 4 of my subjects to A2 mainly cos I enjoy them all
Reply 16
barry1200
Thank you for that response.

I am incredibly intrigued by what you mean when you say A-level is easier! How will I know if this applies to me also? what were you like at GCSE level, please expand on this point!

Well the content is harder, but the questions they ask are much more straight forward compared to GCSE. So for example, a typical GCSE question:

'A cone has base radius 6 cm and height h cm.
A smaller cone of base radius 2 cm and height 3 cm is cut from the top.
The remaining frustum has dimensions as shown. Calculate the area of the frustrum.'

Now the maths involved there isn't really that complicated, it's just you have to apply a lot of simple things in a very complicated way. If you compare this to a typical A-level question:

'The volume, V m^3, of a water in a tank is at time t seconds is given by:

V = (t^6)/3 - 2t^4 + 3t^2

Find:

1) DV/Dt

2) D^2V/Dt^2'

Now the maths involved is a lot harder than the GCSE question, but it's one process which when you know what to do isn't that difficult at all. You might look at it now confused but when you understand it it's fine.

So yeah, if you find that you are understanding the mathematical principles in GCSE but struggle with the questions then by no means is A-level maths out of the question. And besides, an A is a brilliant grade!
When I was in Year 11 I got a B in my maths mocks, but an A for the real thing, and now in Year12 i'm doin Maths AS/A level

so i guess what i'm trying to say is, even if you're getting low a's now there's quite a bit of time to improve

also maths would definately compliment the science subjects u want to take for a level.

but if you're really stuck on maths, you could always think about taking an arts subject, things like eng lit, history or any laguages are well respected by unis....
Reply 18
READ THIS BACK!

Manc, are you saying that If I took all three sciences to A-level but Maths ONLY up to AS Level, that I would be in a better position?

I don't think I could manage up to A2 but AS is quite possible, would it be worth it.

THANK YOU

And thank you to others who have replied
Reply 19
barry1200
Well if I'm going for a science degree, then I thought it would be good to do all three, especially as I'm getting A*'s in it.

But I don;t know which ones are well respected, and will taking 4 A2's improve my uni entry chance

Choose a contrasting subject like History, Economics or the like. :p: OR you could do Maths AS - but it would just mean your whole timetable would consist of sciencey subjects, you might get a bit frustrated with it at some point. :dontknow:

Also, don't do 4 A2 Levels... it can dramatically affect your grades in the end - maybe sacrificing your place at a great university :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending