The Student Room Group

exams

Hello guys. It's a very serious situation I'm about to discuss with you. My friend Josh made a terrible blunder In his chemistry exam with OCR. Before I tell his story, I would like to say that he is much more academically brighter than me. And deserves more chances into med school than I do. But his mistake can potentially cost him his future.

He underperformed in his C1 and C2 maths exam. He also underperformed in his F322 chemistry OCR exam. But the problem is that he MISSED his F321 exam by confusing it with the after noon.

He is thinking not to apply this year at all as he won't be having a grade in chemistry. I have recommended Josh to apply next year when he is in A2. And told him to resit the whole AS chemistry (because he got U) and those modules
he will have the right grades next time. But will universities find out of he had U in chemistry and got C in maths exam when he was in AS. Or will the not because he will apply in A2 when he has all the grades (after resitting everything) ????
Reply 1
Original post by Mr Average.98
Hello guys. It's a very serious situation I'm about to discuss with you. My friend Josh made a terrible blunder In his chemistry exam with OCR. Before I tell his story, I would like to say that he is much more academically brighter than me. And deserves more chances into med school than I do. But his mistake can potentially cost him his future.

He underperformed in his C1 and C2 maths exam. He also underperformed in his F322 chemistry OCR exam. But the problem is that he MISSED his F321 exam by confusing it with the after noon.

He is thinking not to apply this year at all as he won't be having a grade in chemistry. I have recommended Josh to apply next year when he is in A2. And told him to resit the whole AS chemistry (because he got U) and those modules
he will have the right grades next time. But will universities find out of he had U in chemistry and got C in maths exam when he was in AS. Or will the not because he will apply in A2 when he has all the grades (after resitting everything) ????

If he retakes the AS exams relevant to the course he wants to do and applies in A2, not AS, the university will not consider the 'bad' grades as they'll be replaced by 'good' ones... However, depending on what uni he wants to go to, some may want to know as to why he is applying a year later... wishing him luck!!
One more thing... can he tell universities that the reason for taking gap year was to get more experience and I sight about this course ... so he is absolutely certain that medicine is the right career plan for him. Or anything else apart from the fact that he underperformed and didn't get the right grades ??

Thanks a million
Reply 3
Definitely, loads of people take gap years so he should be fine.. (just make sure that he tells his current college/6th form that he doesn't plan on applying this year so that they don't start the UCAS application)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending