Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What universities did you apply to? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Im sure I have no trouble picking up girls with the opening line...."Im a computer scientist, what's your name?" or something similar!!! Can someone remind me which courses are considered sexy again?!? :confused:
    Veterinary medicine must be considered sexy to some people surely!? I mean the white coats, saving little animals, being strong and able to deal with big animals and ....well thats why Im going to be studying the subject! LOL!! Plus the amazing male to female ratio on the course..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    Veterinary medicine must be considered sexy to some people surely!? I mean the white coats, saving little animals, being strong and able to deal with big animals and ....well thats why Im going to be studying the subject! LOL!! Plus the amazing male to female ratio on the course..
    While you are rejoicing in the 60% female ratio on your course, my friend is frantically plotting on how to hook the few guys there are at RVC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    While you are rejoicing in the 60% female ratio on your course, my friend is frantically plotting on how to hook the few guys there are at RVC
    Only 60% at RVC - I heard it was up to 70/75% in other unis! Good job I chose Liverpool over RVC then! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    Only 60% at RVC - I heard it was up to 70/75% in other unis! Good job I chose Liverpool over RVC then! :P
    Glad to see you've got your priorities right

ReputationRep:
    I think boys doing "female" subjects like English are the best off.. if I were my boyfriend, I'd be pretty pissed off at being attached, lol!

ReputationRep:
    here goes....

Canterbury Christ, History, CC grades: this was my "if my life goes downhill and I screw up my A levels option" got conditional offer, tiny place, not even a uni yet (lol) and well yeah, never actually wanted to go.

Keele, History and international relations, BC at A level (min of 260 points overall tho i think) got conditional offer. good course, especially the intl rela side. however campus in the middle of nowhere and it was cold and dark...manky accomadation too (breeze block walls!!:eek:)

Exeter, History, BBC, rejected. Toffs the lot of them! reject me you scum! (As you can see i am very bitter, having gone on their recruitment style summer school the year before...got the mug t-shirt etc....)

Leicester, History, BBB, conditional offer. campus a bit gritty, nasty 60's buildings. just had a bad feeling about the place, although the lecturers were really good. accomadation pretty far out and a bit nasty too.

Reading, History and international relations, BCC or CCC with B at as-level (which is me!) my insurance place. Lovely campus, large and greeny (lol) very good courses and the open day i went to was very well done. near london, not far from home. accomadation all with internet and all on/very near campus.

Leeds, History, BBB, my firm choice. fantastic place, 30,000 students in a large cosmopolitan city. up north, away from parents, very good course with a good reputation. i got lost very quickly in both the uni and the city centre, but i dont care lol. accomadation varied and numerous, have to make a choice on that now:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    Leeds, History, BBB, my firm choice. fantastic place, 30,000 students in a large cosmopolitan city. up north, away from parents, very good course with a good reputation. i got lost very quickly in both the uni and the city centre, but i dont care lol. accomadation varied and numerous, have to make a choice on that now:confused:
    my brother is at leeds (just finished 2nd year of chemistry) and he was in tetley halls last year and absalutely loved it. it wasn't his first choice (can't actually remember what was) and it's kinda out of town and in headingly, but he didn't find it a problem and the buses were really frequent. tetley has 6 victorain houses and there was 20 people in his, but it was a bit fo a rabbit warren so didn't seem too crowded, just slightly insane.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    my brother is at leeds (just finished 2nd year of chemistry) and he was in tetley halls last year and absalutely loved it. it wasn't his first choice (can't actually remember what was) and it's kinda out of town and in headingly, but he didn't find it a problem and the buses were really frequent. tetley has 6 victorain houses and there was 20 people in his, but it was a bit fo a rabbit warren so didn't seem too crowded, just slightly insane.

lou xxx
    cheers, did he have internet in his room do you know? one of my criteon... its a bit overwhelming, there are 18 different halls....eek. i had forgotten about applying as well and im worried that the later i leave it the elss choice i have, must sit down and decide (mental note to himself)

ReputationRep:
    LSE - Government - ABB (firm)
    York - Politics - ABB (declined)
    Nottingham - Politics ABB (declined)
    Sheffield - BBB (insurance)
    Birmingham - BBB (declined)
    Newcastle - BBB (declined)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    cheers, did he have internet in his room do you know? one of my criteon... its a bit overwhelming, there are 18 different halls....eek. i had forgotten about applying as well and im worried that the later i leave it the elss choice i have, must sit down and decide (mental note to himself)
    i think some rooms do and you can make sure you get it- i'm speaking to his roomate (who didn't move halls) right now on msn so it is possible. only ptoblem for some is that some rooms are shared, but they are a really good size.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Sussex - English - ABB - Declined
    KCL - English Lit & Lang - ABB - Firm
    QMUL - English - BBB - Insurance
    Reading - English - BBB - Declined
    RHUL - English - ABB - Declined
    Goldsmiths - English - ABC?? CANT REMEMBER!!! - Declined

ReputationRep:
    I applied for September 2001 entry to...

Nottingham - medicine - AAB with As in bio and chem (now in 3rd year here)
    Leeds - medicine - AAB = Insurance place
    Sheffield - Medicine - ABB, with A in chem - Offer but declined
    Newcastle - Medicine - AAB - offer but declined

Didn't bother with 5th/6th choices

ReputationRep:
    FF;Oxford - Maths
    F;Durham - Maths
    F;Warwick - Maths
    II;St Andrews - Maths
    I;Birmingham - Maths
    I;Edinburgh - Maths

F:will hopefully be a firm offer
    I:will hopefully be an insurance offer

ReputationRep:
    oxford econ and management- rejected
    UCL econ- conditional offer AAA- declined
    LSE econ - conditional offer AAA- firm acceptance
    Warwick econ - conditional offer AAB- insurance
    Nottingham econ - rejected
    Loughborough econ - conditional offer 200 points - declined

ReputationRep:
    bristol spanish and Portuguese abb
    ALthough the open day was appaling i still liked the feel of the city, it just seemed a nice place to be and this was one of the few places where you can do portuguese joint honours

nottingham Hispanic studdies bcc (insurance)
    I really liked the campus and the open day was fab but i just prefered Bristol. It took me ages to make up my mind though. Also although this sounds snobbish i was put off by the lower offer because some of the people i met on the open day sounded like they were a bit crap at spanish and i wanted to be pushed. Also i think being on a cmapus uni would have driven me nuts and i was really far away from me

Oxford Spanish and Portuguese- rejected

Durham bbb Spanish- declined
    there was somehting about durham that i didn't like and i'm not really sure what it was. Also the course options for spanish were a bit shite and i couldn't do portuguese. Also it was so far away so it was rejected pretty quickly.

My filler choices were exceter and cardif both for hispanic studies with bbc offer. I rejected cardif purely because half the prospectus was written in welsh and i had a panick that lectures would be taught in welsh. I can't remeber why i rejected exceter but i think it was because of the course

ReputationRep:
    all for psychology:

Durham- ABB- insurance offer- i have no intention of ending up at durham and basically put it down for the silly reason that my teachers think the uni isthe best thing since sliced bread :rolleyes:

Oxford- Rejected

Newcastle- AAB - declined my offer du to a terrible open day and disliking newcastle emmensly from the moment i arrived..

Edinburgh -BBB- declined loved the uni and the city and regret not putting it as my insurance (would love to do a doctorate here though if i have the chance).

St Andrews - ABB- declinedbrilliant psychology department but in the end i just decided it was too remote and isolated for me.

Bath- AAAB- firm acceptance i love the course as it includes a years work experience where you can go anywhere in the world. also the uni looks fab and seems a really friendly place. and bath is gorgeous too

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge - Law - Pooled from Clare, then rejected.
    Durham - Law - Unofficial offer with a gap year, AAA - declined
    KCL - Double maitrise - AAB - declined
    Nottingham - Law with French - rejected!
    UCL - Law with French Law - AAA- insurance, rather illogicially because.....
    LSE - " " " " - AAB - FIRM!

ReputationRep:
    Bad News
    SOAS - Law - Rejected
    Queen Mary - Law - Rejected

Good News
    Queen Mary - Law and Business - Unconditional Offer - Declined
    KCL - Law - Unconditional Offer - Declined
    UCL - Law - Unconditional Offer - Declined (came close to accepting)
    LSE - Law - Unconditional Offer - Firm

LSE was my top choice out of the 5 unis so I am very happy.

ReputationRep:
    For German/Italian....

Cambridge- offer- firm
    Durham- offer- insurance
    Manchester- offer- declined
    Warwick- offer- declined

For German and Linguistics

Manchester- offer- declined

didn't bother with other choices the course content is pretty much the same everywhere you go, just the quality varies a lot

ReputationRep:
    Oxford - maths - unconditional
    Durham - geography - unconditional
    Leeds - medicine - unconditional
    Manchester - microbiology - unconditional - accepted
    Bristol - medicine - rejected
    Nottingahm - medicine - rejected

Going to manchester as loved the department, city and accommodation. They gave the impression that they valued my application as much as I valued their offer... not like oxford (wadham) who drilled into me how lucky I was to be even considered!!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.