Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I only applied to three universites (all in London!) but here goes...

1. Imperial College - Software Engineering - AAA conditional
    2. UCL - Computer Science - AAB conditional
    3. Kings College - Computer Science - ABB conditional

IC and UCL both specified an A in maths.

~Darkness~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Yes - ironically I'm now one of the people who benefits from the newbury bypass as it's on the way from home to B'ham (sister) or L'pool (parents).

It is however one of the most environmentally friendly roads when it comes to run off - most roads pollute the soil and groundwater for a long way around them with the most disgusting chemicals - the A34 (and also the A31 through the new forest since it got resurfaced in 1999/2000) collects the run off in storage tanks which are periodically emtpied and the polluted water taken for proper treatment rather than left to pollute the general area.
    I still don't like the way they cut through the hills though - it looked so awful just after they did it. I never use that piece of road - only the bit from the M4 upwards (to Oxford) - if we're going southwards we use the M3. It did kick up a huge fuss though when it was built.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    2003 Entry:

UMIST - Management - Conditional - AAB - Firm
    Manchester - Maths with business - Conditional - AAB - Insurance
    Bradford - Business - Conditional - 240 points, I think thats BBB - Decline

Well, I got ABC in Computing, Business Studies and Maths, respectively, don't ask me why the hell I applied to Bradford, didn't really know what I wanted to do, or what I was after in a university, I just applied for the sake of going to uni, and I wanted to stay local. However after much consideration and thinking, I decided (forced shall I say) that I wanted to do law instead, as it's a more respected subect with good employablity rates and decent money . Having just ABC weren't good enough, so I took an extra year and worked my balls off this year to achieve AAB, and working to pump that B into an A.

2004 Entry:

Sheffield University - Law - Conditional - AAB - Firm
    Leicester University - Law - Unconditional - Insurance
    Manchester University - Law - Conditional - AAB - Declined
    Leeds University - Law - Conditional - AAA - Declined
    Manchester Metropolitan - Law - Uncondtional - Declined

Whooohh, so there we have it, I'm off to be a high flying law student in September. I do regret not achieving high grades first time round, I guess I should have revised, however this year my timetable has been so light it has allowed me to achieve other things, such as my driving test, study, etc. Plus, who knows, if I had decided to proceed with management, I would have a much changed future.

If you have the determination, then anything is possible (not trying to sound cheesy or anything).
    Ah ok, you answered an earlier question unintentionally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Ah ok, you answered an earlier question unintentionally
    And yourself? (Though don't start writing a wordy essay like I did, :rolleyes:)

ReputationRep:
    rightio me... (all for maths + psychology)

birmingham- BBB- didn't even look round, applied cos it was a uni that did my course that i'd heard of. rejected cos i didn't like the prospectus.

dundee- CCD offer (due to first year entry instead of 2nd year which is sometimes doen by 2nd years students)- absalutely loved the place, nice town, nice atmosphere and if i could fall in love with it on a cold, wet november day when i was full of cold i can live there 4 years. oh and i fancied one of the maths lecturers

keele- BC- bit boring really, not keen on the maths dept. need a bit more townlife

newcastle- ABB- wanted an A in maths. don't like newcastle united (my brother supports them)

reading- BBB- couldn't be bothered with trek down to city from uni. and had a really nasty train journey home and maths dept was really unfriendly on open day. had really rubish sandwiches in shop at lunch.

st andrews- ABB- full of rich oxbridge rejects who seemed to give me funny looks when they heard my accent (i have a bit of a merseyside twang). rubbish shops, no nightclubs, hate golf, most boring place on the planet. head of maths department had the personality of a peanut.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    applied to
    computer science for all

edinburgh - conditional
    warwick - conditional
    UMIST - unconditional
    bristol - rejected
    york - rejected
    imperial -rejected

ReputationRep:
    And yourself? (Though don't start writing a wordy essay like I did, :rolleyes:)
    Lol, my original six choices were for economics (firm was UCL - AAA). Then I declined them and reapplied through extra for Mechanical Engineering (Imperial - AAB).

(see, not a ghost of an essay).

ReputationRep:
    Bath
    Bristol
    Cambridge (Trin.)
    Imperial
    Warwick
    York

ReputationRep:
    Lol, my original six choices were for economics. Then I declined them and reapplied through extra for Mechanical Engineering.

Why the change? I too think I'm having second thoughts, I think I might want to do Medicine, thoug that would require me to take up a scinece and waste yet another extra year.

ReputationRep:
    Why the change? I too think I'm having second thoughts, I think I might want to do Medicine, thoug that would require me to take up a scinece and waste yet another extra year.
    I was getting seriously jealous of all my friends who were off to do maths/physics based subjects. In the end I just decided to go for it, rang up imperial and asked if they'd consider me.

Lol, my original six choices were for economics. Then I declined them and reapplied through extra for Mechanical Engineering.

There should be a name for people like us who reject offers from perfectly good universities to put ourselves through the nervousness of UCAS Extra!!! You even switched courses, which I haden't even considered.....until now....

I was getting seriously jealous of all my friends who were off to do maths/physics based subjects. In the end I just decided to go for it, rang up imperial and asked if they'd consider me.
    I did the same with a few departments and then picked the one where I was familiar with the admissions people!!!

ReputationRep:
    All of mine were for Medicine:

Cambridge: AAA (Accepted)

Nottingham: AAB, with As in Chemistry and Biology. Would have been my insurance, but seeing as I already had an A in Maths A-Level, it was essentially the same as my Cambridge offer, so there was no point me holding it.

Southampton: AAB. Declined because I only applied there because I liked the look of the place, I was fairly confident of getting my grades and didn't want to take up an offer which could result in someone else being rejected.

Newcastle: rejected without interview.

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    "Daddy flies us up each term from Salisbury"

I bet this sounded like

"darddy fli-es urp each te-rm forrm Saislburery"
    Do you have any idea how posh people talk?

PQ - sorry you met such awful people at Durham! There aren't even that many like that here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    There should be a name for people like us who reject offers from perfectly good universities to put ourselves through the nervousness of UCAS Extra!!! You even switched courses, which I haden't even considered.....until now....
    Oooh, imagine little old me starting a trend (Actually I lied, the 85% male students swayed me)

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, imagine little old me starting a trend (Actually I lied, the 85% male students swayed me)
    What at Imperial? I bet they all have pepperoni pizza heads, and wear glasses that are ten sizes bigger than their eyes.

How do you think I feel, in my original firm there were 15% girls on my course, in my original insurance there were 12%.........now I'm down to less than 10%......any girl taking pity on me please call me!!!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Helenia]

Do you have any idea how posh people talk?
    QUOTE]

Yeurs, its just very hard to write it down in a forum although its not very often I speak to posh people, my boss is quite posh, he has a Phd and was educated at a private school in London. My dad is well spoken being from Chelsea but I wound't call him posh.

ReputationRep:
    What at Imperial? I bet they all have pepperoni pizza heads, and wear glasses that are ten sizes bigger than their eyes.
    Don't be so presumptious! Good thing that wasn't actually my reason...

ReputationRep:
    How do you think I feel, in my original firm there were 15% girls on my course, in my original insurance there were 12%.........now I'm down to less than 10%......any girl taking pity on me please call me!!!
    I'm sure you'll bag one of them. Failing that, go clubbing!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but don't forget, Mancs has a decent night life.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.