Why do they call it a masters degree...

Watch
Furios
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Why? and secondly why are they are willing to accept people from a VERY wide range of undergraduate courses?
For example one of the economics and finance courses (masters, thinking about doing it) says theyll accept anyone from a degree where they learned intermediate micro/macro or a good level of mathematics/statistics.

Does a masters student (who came from say, mathematics) truly have the background knowledge to do a masters in economics and finance as compared to someone whos bachelor is in the same? I understand that his maths level is good enough, but surely if he knows no basic economics then how do they accept him?

Won't he essentially be doing another (in theory) bachelors? but I guess looking at a few topics in greater depth?

Can you explain..tsr.
John9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Masters is a research degree and doing a dissertation
Furios
Rep:
?
(Original post by John9)
Masters is a research degree and doing a dissertation
But you get to do a dissertation/thesis in almost all bachelors nowadays,,I dk about the research.
Furios
Rep:
?
It can't be that easy to get into a relatively unrelated masters program, they must have to assign you some extra modules or something.
John9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Furios)
It can't be that easy to get into a relatively unrelated masters program, they must have to assign you some extra modules or something.
In some masters you learn something new (unrelated to the degree), even if they are same subjects.

Moreover, the trend is towards transferable skills. someone who learned another degree might still do better than you.
Furios
Rep:
?
(Original post by John9)
In some masters you learn something new (unrelated to the degree), even if they are same subjects.

Moreover, the trend is towards transferable skills. someone who learned another degree might still do better than you.
I think I get it.
darthentantius
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it's a master level of academic knowledge. and why not? maths is important to understand economcs. rather that criteria than, say, a nurse or a veterinarian.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (68)
27.53%
No - I have already returned home (27)
10.93%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.65%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (26)
10.53%
No - I live at home during term anyway (75)
30.36%

Watched Threads