The Student Room Group

engineering

Hi, has any one ever got onto an engineering degree course without doing maths A level
Reply 1
Yeah, it's very very unlikely you'd be admitted without maths a level, if you were you'd have to do a supplementary maths course and many universities specify maths in their entry requirements for engineering. If you can't do a level maths then you will really struggle with engineering.
Reply 2
Hi, thats what I thought. I am thinking of taking a year out and just concentrating on my maths A level, do you know if it is possible to do maths As and A2 in one year.
Reply 3
Original post by sarahmed
Hi, thats what I thought. I am thinking of taking a year out and just concentrating on my maths A level, do you know if it is possible to do maths As and A2 in one year.

Everyone at my sixth form (myself included) who did further maths did AS and A2 Maths in year 12 so it's definitely possible. We all also had 3 other subjects so if you're taking a year out to concentrate on Maths it's definitely possible.
Reply 4
I'm going to Birmingham for Chemical Engineering this September and I haven't done maths at A-level. I did get an A* at GCSE although I'm not sure how much they took that into account. Also got offers from Leeds and Sheffield.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Chemical engineering isn't really the same as other types though
Reply 6
I suppose you're right but the OP didn't specify which type of engineering.

Anyway, it would be better to do A-level maths if you're serious about engineering because it'll widen the range of unis you can apply to. I think all of the top unis want a-level maths for engineering. Plus, you'll have a good foundation in maths once you actually start the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Reply 8
Thanks, thats promising, I am thinking of chemical engineering too but all the unis I have looked at so far have asked for maths.
Reply 9
Thanks, I think I will do my maths AS and A2 in one year, I just think it will open more doors if I have maths.
Original post by sarahmed
Hi, has any one ever got onto an engineering degree course without doing maths A level

sounds like a very unlikely scenario. Even though you do less maths after 1st year for most courses, its still very helpful to have a good understanding as I'm sure you'll know
Reply 11
It is possible to do a foundation year for those that don't have their maths but if you're only school leaver I'd recommend just spending a year doing your maths AS and A2.

I do know someone who did it in a year, apparently it was really difficult for him but he ended up going to Bath for chem eng which is pretty good. Think he got either a B or an A but he had an A in chemistry too. It just depends on your own capabilities and how motivated you are. If you think you can handle the workload, go for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by goodwinning
It is possible to do a foundation year for those that don't have their maths but if you're only school leaver I'd recommend just spending a year doing your maths AS and A2.

I do know someone who did it in a year, apparently it was really difficult for him but he ended up going to Bath for chem eng which is pretty good. Think he got either a B or an A but he had an A in chemistry too. It just depends on your own capabilities and how motivated you are. If you think you can handle the workload, go for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I looked into the foundation courses at some of the unis but as you say it would be better to do maths A level rather than waste money on an extra year at uni and I would probably be going over old work in physics and chemistry

Quick Reply

Latest