The Student Room Group

private dental insurance?

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of good value dental insurance?

Basically i have to pay full price for any nhs treatments as i have 16 500 in saving so cant get any reductions and as i m pretty certain i may need at least band 2 treatment so £50 plus i may as well go private so i dont have to wait. Any suggestions of good insurers?
Reply 1
Original post by claireestelle

Basically i have to pay full price for any nhs treatments as i have 16 500 in saving so cant get any reductions and as i m pretty certain i may need at least band 2 treatment so £50 plus i may as well go private so i dont have to wait. Any suggestions of good insurers?

Are there long waits for your local dentist? I've never heard of anyone having to wait longer then a week or so for a band 2 treatment on NHS.

Similarly; I doubt you'd be able to insure for cheaper than the NHS cost. I recall looking into it a year or so ago and the cost was quite extortionate.
Original post by Reue
Are there long waits for your local dentist? I've never heard of anyone having to wait longer then a week or so for a band 2 treatment on NHS.

Similarly; I doubt you'd be able to insure for cheaper than the NHS cost. I recall looking into it a year or so ago and the cost was quite extortionate.

All of the NHS dentists within a 3 mile radius arent taking on any nhs patients at the moment so it would be a long wait to see somebody on nhs prices. I d also like to avoid nhs dentists also on the basis of a lack of flexibility in appointments, taking time off to see the dentist from September onwards is just not an option.

I dont mind if it costs a little more than NHS treatment, the way i see it is if i have to pay £22 twice a year and its likely i d have to shell out £50 for an extraction so if i have to spend at least £70 this year on dental treatment, i d rather go private for a little more and be able to spread the cost out monthly too.

Most people have to pay for the dentist anyway.
But it's worth looking when you're a student as I'm sure you can still get reductions, although this would depend on your savings.
But with banding with dentists, you pay for the 1 treatment not repeat visits. So it's worth seeing what you would need and ask the dentist roughly what this would be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
Most people have to pay for the dentist anyway.
But it's worth looking when you're a student as I'm sure you can still get reductions, although this would depend on your savings.
But with banding with dentists, you pay for the 1 treatment not repeat visits. So it's worth seeing what you would need and ask the dentist roughly what this would be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you:smile:
Unfortunately, after i inherited a bit of money from a grandparent last year,nhsba have told me i m not eligible to any discounts whatsoever anymore.
I m expecting at best i require at least 2 extractions or worse after a previous dentist barely saved a couple of teeth, a dentist suggested when i was 17 that braces could be a good idea but couldnt have them at the time as they didnt fund them on the nhs for over 16s unless you paid for them. So expecting £52 for extractions or could hit £200 if they gave me braces.
Hence thinking if i got dental insurance that was less than say £100 a year i could potentially save money or at least get private treatment for a similar price.
Thank you:smile:
Unfortunately, after i inherited a bit of money from a grandparent last year,nhsba have told me i m not eligible to any discounts whatsoever anymore.
I m expecting at best i require at least 2 extractions or worse after a previous dentist barely saved a couple of teeth, a dentist suggested when i was 17 that braces could be a good idea but couldnt have them at the time as they didnt fund them on the nhs for over 16s unless you paid for them. So expecting £52 for extractions or could hit £200 if they gave me braces.
Hence thinking if i got dental insurance that was less than say £100 a year i could potentially save money or at least get private treatment for a similar price.

Have you looked at the supermarkets etc? My friend had one and he just paid a sum each month and that covered him no matter what he had done.
Good luck finding them. Some employers also offer them too. It's a case of searching around I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
Have you looked at the supermarkets etc? My friend had one and he just paid a sum each month and that covered him no matter what he had done.
Good luck finding them. Some employers also offer them too. It's a case of searching around I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didnt know supermarkets offered dental insurance, thank you i will check that out:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest