The Student Room Group

Going on the pill to stop Mirena bleeding

I had the Mirena coil fitted 4 months ago to treat heavy periods - it has worked really well overall as I used to have periods that drained the life out of me & I haven't had a proper period since going on it. Only problem is I have had spotting - some days it is quite heavy, like a light period, though it has improved over the months and some days I've had nothing. I asked my GP about my options, since I want to stay on the coil, but I'm sick of having to wear a pad daily and although my boyfriend doesn't care about the bleeding, it makes me self-conscious during sex. She's prescribed a low-dose combined pill and I'm going to start taking it tomorrow.

Just have a couple of questions though:

1) Will I need to take it the same time everyday as is usually advised with the pill or does it not matter since I'm using it to control spotting?

2) I assume the hormones in the pill won't affect the contraceptive effects of the coil?

3) If it stops the bleeding, how long should I continue taking it for?
Reply 1
Original post by The Nightingale
I had the Mirena coil fitted 4 months ago to treat heavy periods - it has worked really well overall as I used to have periods that drained the life out of me & I haven't had a proper period since going on it. Only problem is I have had spotting - some days it is quite heavy, like a light period, though it has improved over the months and some days I've had nothing. I asked my GP about my options, since I want to stay on the coil, but I'm sick of having to wear a pad daily and although my boyfriend doesn't care about the bleeding, it makes me self-conscious during sex. She's prescribed a low-dose combined pill and I'm going to start taking it tomorrow.

Just have a couple of questions though:

1) Will I need to take it the same time everyday as is usually advised with the pill or does it not matter since I'm using it to control spotting?

2) I assume the hormones in the pill won't affect the contraceptive effects of the coil?

3) If it stops the bleeding, how long should I continue taking it for?

1) It matters less taking it at the same time as you can't using it for contraception. However as with most medication it can often be helpful to have a set time of day that you take it as it will help you to remember to take it.

2) You should still be protected from a contraception point of view.

3) It will depend a lot of the pill that they have given you. It might be worth taking it for a couple of months to stabilise things.
Original post by randdom
1) It matters less taking it at the same time as you can't using it for contraception. However as with most medication it can often be helpful to have a set time of day that you take it as it will help you to remember to take it.

2) You should still be protected from a contraception point of view.

3) It will depend a lot of the pill that they have given you. It might be worth taking it for a couple of months to stabilise things.

Thanks for the answers :smile:

I've been put on Milinette 20/75 - so far not dealing with it very well, lots of pains, very emotional and the bleeding has actually got worse. One thing I was a little confused about is why I've put on a progesterone heavy pill when it's the progesterone causing excess spotting. Are there not estrogen-heavy pills that might work better?
Reply 3
Original post by The Nightingale
Thanks for the answers :smile:

I've been put on Milinette 20/75 - so far not dealing with it very well, lots of pains, very emotional and the bleeding has actually got worse. One thing I was a little confused about is why I've put on a progesterone heavy pill when it's the progesterone causing excess spotting. Are there not estrogen-heavy pills that might work better?

The main concern with some of the oestrogen heavier pills is that they can lead to a high risk of side effects like clots. So they try to avoid them in a lot of situations. How long have you been taking it now? The side effects can initially be quite grim but for a lot of people but they often pass after a cycle.
Original post by randdom
The main concern with some of the oestrogen heavier pills is that they can lead to a high risk of side effects like clots. So they try to avoid them in a lot of situations. How long have you been taking it now? The side effects can initially be quite grim but for a lot of people but they often pass after a cycle.

Only 4 days. My main concern is I've always reacted horribly to the pill whenever I've tried it - one progesterone only one seriously messed me up for months and given how side-effect free the coil has been so far, I'm loathe to compromise my health. Particularly given that I have several health problems already.
I have been on the pill for months again spotting all the time and light periods.. prescribed me desogestrel to help anyone else on this and its worked
Reply 6
Hi, did this work for you? I have been prescribed Desogestral too ti stop my mirena coil bleeding. Please let me know x
Reply 7
Did it work for you? They prescribed me this too and I’m scared to take it just incase I bleed even heavier. I also have the mirena coil.

Quick Reply

Latest