Do The English Really Prefer To Be Governed By Old Etonians?

Watch this thread
Paladian
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
our 'hereditary curse'
Jane 201010
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
mmmmm public school boys are yummy
Serine Soul
Badges: 18
Report 6 years ago
Does seem like it

(Original post by Jane 201010)
mmmmm public school boys are yummy
Have you tasted one? :erm:
Jane 201010
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by enaayrah)
Does seem like it

Have you tasted one? :erm:
yessssssssssss yummmmy
Trans black
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
We need more representation of trans folk in the goverment.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Yes

People say they want people who are in touch with them, but really, no one wants John from the pub to run the country
Serine Soul
Badges: 18
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jane 201010)
yessssssssssss yummmmy
I thought they'd be full of...

Just kidding of course
Jane 201010
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
u talkin bout my dad? Come at me bruh
(Original post by democracyforum)
Yes

People say they want people who are in touch with them, but really, no one wants John from the pub to run the country
Paladian
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by democracyforum)
Yes

Don't be so naive.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I think the electorate would prefer 'a commoner' however i don't think it's a big factor. Look at the support for Farage and Boris given their backgrounds.
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I find the instinctive dislike of someone based on their background in whatever circumstances to be distasteful. It's a shame that some seem to claim to share that sentiment but exclude the more fortunate from that treatment.

Also, while public school-educated people do have a disproportionate presence in government, they are by no means predominant, and anyway, why should it surprise us? Public schools tend to produce high-quality students. Yes, they are lucky to have been able to get in in the first place, but then if they come out highly capable, why waste them?

Instead of knocking the successful, why not pull those less fortunate up to their level?
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
As long as they're doing the best job they can carry on.

(Original post by Rakas21)
Look at the support for Farage and Boris given their backgrounds.
Because they're authentic. I think most people find much more tolerable in personal terms someone who is from a very posh background and doesn't hide it than someone who is from a quite posh background and tries to appear in all respects 'of the people'. (cf Ed's kitchen fiasco.)
HigherMinion
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I think the electorate would prefer 'a commoner' however i don't think it's a big factor. Look at the support for Farage and Boris given their backgrounds.
I think what's funny is our country is NOT being governed by "Old Etonians" and is in fact being governed by Young Etonians, who, like Young Anybodies, are naive and idealistic. They speak with a convincing finesse due to their education, but they can't put their idealism in to practice because reality slaps them square in the jaw.

Chaps like Farage and Rees Mogg for example, are either older and wiser or have family-backed principles whilst we are actually being run by self interest. Mr Cameron is not an "Old Etonian" any way you look at it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (61)
65.59%
No (25)
26.88%
I didn't use it to prepare (7)
7.53%

Watched Threads