Why is this Morally wrong?

Watch
0lut0
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Let's say I repeatedly hit someone in the head with a chair.
Why is this morally wrong.
You can't refer to Religion but you can refer to Science.
You have to explain in depth i'll be using your idea for an essay.
flibber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So you're asking TSR to do part of your assignment for you?
flibber
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 0lut0)
Was your action provoked or unprovoked?
0lut0
Rep:
?
(Original post by flibber)
So you're asking TSR to do part of your assignment for you?
Yes because I can win £20 if I give a good reason to my Philosophy Teacher.
Right now the idea I have is inadequate.
LondonBrah_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because when you hit someone in the head with a chair, the electrons on his head are repelled by the electrons on the chair and that is obviously unacceptable
NeverGnGiveuUp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because you dont want it to happen to you. Therefore you shouldnt do it to anyone else.
EXTREMEninja
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 0lut0)
Assuming that it is unprovoked... It causes them pain and possibly severe injury/death, and humans don't tend to want any of those things.

P.S Write your own damn essay.
flibber
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 0lut0)
Yes because I can win £20 if I give a good reason to my Philosophy Teacher.
Right now the idea I have is inadequate.
What is your idea at the moment?

Plus I don't feel you should be cheating...
0lut0
Rep:
?
(Original post by EXTREMEninja)
Assuming that it is unprovoked... It causes them pain and possibly severe injury/death, and humans don't tend to want any of those things.

P.S Write your own damn essay.
I have a dearth of ideas.
It's not really an essay it's just a reward question if I give an argument to my teacher tomorrow answering this question he will give me £20 and I want that £20 in my pocket.
An argument I was thinking of was that Humans have evolved by helping each other so harming another human is against this law. The teacher said this was an inadequate theory so I just need help polishing it up.
flibber
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LondonBrah_)
Because when you hit someone in the head with a chair, the electrons on his head are repelled by the electrons on the chair and that is obviously unacceptable
Plus there's the murder of a number of brain cells (if I'm right) if the impact is really strong and the same point in the head is hit.
Ikuze
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You're beating someone for what seems like no reason. That's pretty morally wrong. Oh, and the person who owns the chair might need a new one too.
EmergencyBagels
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
because humans are sociable creatures
humans create morality(/religion) to help explain antisocial behaviour
immoral actions cause problems in social groups/harm others, so are damaging to the group
therefore it is beneficial in evolutionary terms to take into account 'morality' and not to harm others, because harming others often causes negative effects by other members of the species eg revenge. we also see this in the emotion guilt which occurs.
so basically humans are sociable, so they create morality to make rules for getting along. harming others is breaking those rules and making it more difficult for the survival of the group, and so breaks the rules of morality. it is immoral.

thats just my thoughts on it. if im right then we split the money 60/40, no?

EDIT: also another thought: an argument against this might be 'well what about hurting those that threaten the group' or 'what about times in history or other cultures which have different views on morality' and well
yeah morality allows for hurting people who hurt others in your group, case in point: prison, corporal punishment, general ideas of justice etc.
as for the second part yeah its true. if you consider the romans for example who took slaves or criminals and had them killed in the amphitheatre for sport. pretty immoral by todays standards. but society was different so ideas of morality were different. for example while this isnt exactly 100% the case i think in more recent times societies have gotten big, arguably more inclusive and just generally worked on systems that benefit when all contribute and cooperate. we need mass cooperation to function. rome had very strict ideas about citizenship, eg slaves had no rights, non romans or enemies of rome were worthless, a threat to the group, outsiders, so morality stated you could kill them no problem. of course the roman empire then DID become massive and required cooperation, and this did eventually force greater ideas of morality, more rights for slaves, making every native of a colony a citizen, the adoption of the more morally strict christianity, etc.
Sylvette
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well in this context you don't know much about the situation other than the fact that you are hitting someone in the head with a chair for no apparent reason. If don't have a reasonable motif to back up your actions, and insufficient evidence to prove that what you are doing is anything but random violence, isn't that not already morally troubling?
Hariex
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Unless you hold to an objective morality you can't write a convincing answer, and founding an objective morality is extremely difficult. Good luck!
0lut0
Rep:
?
There was no motive behind the attack.
Is it still wrong and why?
0lut0
Rep:
?
And why is hitting a cucumber not viewed the same as hitting a human.
Note: Philosophy Teacher started asking questions like this.
I have to be able to explain it to pocket the £20...
EXTREMEninja
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 0lut0)
I have a dearth of ideas.
It's not really an essay it's just a reward question if I give an argument to my teacher tomorrow answering this question he will give me £20 and I want that £20 in my pocket.
An argument I was thinking of was that Humans have evolved by helping each other so harming another human is against this law. The teacher said this was an inadequate theory so I just need help polishing it up.
That sounds like a good start. You will need to expand by perhaps talking about how acts like murder etc damage society.
MrKmas508
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
trick question because morality is subjective to an individual. True question is why do you think it is morally wrong because otherwise it's a moral schrodingers cats. It is both acceptable and unacceptable according to the context and individual. If it were me it would be because of empathy.
0lut0
Rep:
?
I need answers guys!
Detailed ones too, scientific evidence and a theory linked to my theory would be much appreciated.
These sort of questions require a huge amount of thinking!
saeed97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 0lut0)
Science is not bound by morals so i say hit away.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (21)
16.8%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (22)
17.6%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (16)
12.8%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (37)
29.6%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
19.2%

Watched Threads