Sadiariya
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm wanting to do an EPQ on a psychology topic and am looking towards something mental health related, maybe a specific disorder. However I don't want to do the typical 'what causes ....' If anyone has any ideas or suggestions it would be very much appreciated
username1915455
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
You could do about the effect of a certain condition and the support people with this condition require. You could also look in general at the mental health system, is it working and/or relating it to current affairs. Perhaps you could also research the ethics of conducting experiments on people with mental health issues, using examples. Just make sure to do some prior research to make sure you find enough sources to make sure you have enough for the EPQ.
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sadiariya)
I'm wanting to do an EPQ on a psychology topic and am looking towards something mental health related, maybe a specific disorder. However I don't want to do the typical 'what causes ....' If anyone has any ideas or suggestions it would be very much appreciated
If you still want to do a question of causal factors you could make it more interesting by wording it like: Has neuroscience explained X?
Alternatively you could write an essay on the best ways to treat a disorder.
Liv1204
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Looking into the treatments used for certain disorders is always interesting I think.

For my last Masters essay I wrote about the use of exercise in the treatment of anorexia nervosa bearing in mind that exercise can be a symptom/correlate of anorexia. I loved researching and writing that because the research is generally pretty recent, and it was interesting to look at a different perspective in AN treatment.

You could look into CBT/DBT/family therapy/medication effectiveness for a particular disorder, or on the outcome of one of those disorders (prognosis, quality of life, etc).

You could do something to do with inpatient treatment (looking at the prevalence of a certain issue - self-harm, gender differences, staff attitudes, physical health in mental health inpatient units, anything...)

Stereotypes and public attitudes towards a particular disorder (or mental health problems in general), stigma, things like that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (68)
32.69%
Yes - a trusted person (58)
27.88%
No (55)
26.44%
I'm not sure (27)
12.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise