The Student Room Group

A level reforms from 2015 - should i take maths if i do biology and chemistry?

I heard that teachers are really pushing maths A level to be taken along side the sciences, even biology. I don't have bad math skills, they're decent but not amazing. The thing is, even though it isn't compulsory to take maths if you are taking sciences i know most people are going to be for reasons such as going to medical school and things(which i am not planning on doing)... do you think it is necessary to take maths at A level which goes so indepth, for the sake of the maths in chem and bio?

Sorry if i didn't explain this very well but any advice would be helpful
Just to correct something you may believe, you DO NOT need maths to go to medical school, though it may help in some aspects.
Original post by Jade Li
I heard that teachers are really pushing maths A level to be taken along side the sciences, even biology. I don't have bad math skills, they're decent but not amazing. The thing is, even though it isn't compulsory to take maths if you are taking sciences i know most people are going to be for reasons such as going to medical school and things(which i am not planning on doing)... do you think it is necessary to take maths at A level which goes so indepth, for the sake of the maths in chem and bio?

If you were taking physics I'd say you need to take it but I think you'll be okay without it for biology and chemistry as long as you understood GCSE maths quite well.
Original post by Jade Li

While the new science syllabuses are having more maths (about 10% of the new papers will be maths) you will not need A level maths to do the maths required in biology and chemistry.

Biology is going more down the stats route and even then, not stats found in A level maths. Chemistry is more equation manipulation and use but nothing more than GCSE in that aspect.

A level maths will not massively help you for biology and chemistry (though it won't hinder you anyway) and is definitely not necessary. If you want to do it and will enjoy it and will do well in it and you think it will strengthen you as a candidate then go for maths. If you are just going to take it to help with your sciences, there isn't a huge amount of point.
Reply 4
Original post by emmajones12770
If you were taking physics I'd say you need to take it but I think you'll be okay without it for biology and chemistry as long as you understood GCSE maths quite well.

Thank u x
Reply 5
Original post by Munrot07
While the new science syllabuses are having more maths (about 10% of the new papers will be maths) you will not need A level maths to do the maths required in biology and chemistry.

Biology is going more down the stats route and even then, not stats found in A level maths. Chemistry is more equation manipulation and use but nothing more than GCSE in that aspect.

A level maths will not massively help you for biology and chemistry (though it won't hinder you anyway) and is definitely not necessary. If you want to do it and will enjoy it and will do well in it and you think it will strengthen you as a candidate then go for maths. If you are just going to take it to help with your sciences, there isn't a huge amount of point.

Thank you so much! I don't think I will take maths then because I don't actually enjoy it. Thanks again
Original post by Jade Li
Thank u x

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest