The elderly (4)
57.14%
The children (0)
0%
The weak and disabled (0)
0%
The lower class (1)
14.29%
Spread food equally and hope for the best (2)
28.57%
username1862217
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
You are the leader of a large village in the third world. This year the harvest has been poor and there isn't enough food to go around. You cannot get outside help.

Who do you let starve?

A. The elderly. They are too old to contribute anymore to your society. Might as well get rid of them as thanks for their lifetime of hard work and contribution.
B. The children. They are nothing but a drain on resources and you can always produce more.
C. The disabled/weak. It's not like they can ever do anything useful anyway - although it's not their fault they were born that way or were born strong and have been in a crippling accident.
D. The lower class. No one will even miss them.
E. Spread food equally. Everyone will be low on food and starving. There will be much more pain in your village than the other options and the population will be weaker, meaning if disease hits (high probability), the death toll will be much higher than if you picked any other option.

People will die no matter which option you pick. It's time to choose.
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Who the **** would make me leader of a large village in the third world? :lolwut:

No wonder our crops failed. :rip:
jimi191
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would distribute the food to all groups but prioritize them in this order:

B) Children
D) Lower Class
C) Disabled/weak
D) Elderly

Making sure children got enough to stay healthy/develop, giving the lower class enough to function and split whats left between the disabled, weak and elderly. Basically i would accept bigger death tolls among the elderly and disabled while reducing them among children by as much as possible without being wasteful of what little food we have.

If for whatever reason that wasn't possible and i had to pick on group to let starve i would pick the elderly.
superwolf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, are we allowed to eat the children? :cookie:
username1862217
Rep:
?
(Original post by superwolf)
Also, are we allowed to eat the children?
Neigh, because kuru disease is present in your village.
superwolf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Keyhofi)
Neigh, because kuru disease is present in your village.
In that case would you mind my sacrificing them to the Gods in exchange for extra food for the years to come?*

*also cutting down on current mouths to feed, in case the Gods forsake us
DragonHearts
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd be awful and let the elderly die, because they have lived their life longer then the rest.
username1862217
Rep:
?
(Original post by superwolf)
In that case would you mind my sacrificing them to the Gods in exchange for extra food for the years to come?*

*also cutting down on current mouths to feed, in case the Gods forsake us
So you would kill children rather than letting them starve so that others in the village can eat?
superwolf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Keyhofi)
So you would kill children rather than letting them starve so that others in the village can eat?
Apparently. :dontknow:

I blame you, for putting me in charge of this blighted village.
username1862217
Rep:
?
The elderly have spent their entire lives slaving hard to contribute as much as possible, while receiving little in return. You three people who have selected that option would all open them up to death? Nothing like trying your best in life, achieving a lot, and then being left to die. Don't you think such a move could demotivate others in your society? If they believe there is nothing at the end, why would they enjoy life or work hard?

Would that even encourage people to avoid going to work (i.e. by claiming chronic sickness and being classed as disabled or not fit to work) just because they want to enjoy life rather than work hard and die?
jimi191
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
And in return i am ensuring that the future generation of their countrymen have every possible opportunity to continue to build and progress the country the elderly people helped so hard to build, kids are the future, lower class people are a essential part of any society and their death would have a huge impact on the day to day running of the society. I wouldn't be completely opposed to shifting the disabled and weak to the bottom however disabled people and people with illnesses can be beneficial to society if properly managed so i would still view them as a valuable resource to some extent while elderly people for the most part are done, they have had a life and should be happy with the knowledge that their sacrifice is an essential step in preserving the glorious Jamietoria for their decedents.

Not a nice thought but in this situation the elderly are the clear choice, in terms of people worrying about the same happening to them honestly if you are living your life with the sole goal of saving and enjoying life once you're old and unable to do anything that's great but might wana reevaluate your situation, old age should be when you start to relax not the point you want your life to get going. I think the rest of Jamietoria would understand the necessity of this action and that if it happened when they were old they would appreciate that their sacrifice is the right choice when faced with the possible alternatives.
Paladian
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
God intervenes.
username1862217
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paladian)
God intervenes.
We all know God lets people starve all the time in third world communities, so he isn't going to be of much help here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (28)
26.92%
No (76)
73.08%

Watched Threads