Begging for a gap year at Cambridge

Watch this thread
lilze
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I'm studying History and got an A*A*AA offer via the pool from Magdalene College. I think (touch wood!) I either met or exceeded this offer in my A level exams this summer. My only problem is that, if I meet my offer, I'm pretty desperate to have a gap year instead of going straight to Cambridge in October. (My school annoyingly discouraged me from applying deferred originally).

I've heard Cambridge can be accommodating about these things, and, provided I meet the offer, I was planning on phoning them up on results day and begging for a gap year. I could present some well organised travel plans with a academic/historical twist. I'm aware that my chances of success are probably reduced by the fact that I only got in via the pool and I'm probably seen as a less 'valuable' candidate to them.

Does anyone know if this will work/know anyone who has successfully deferred their place at this late stage? If so is there some other way I could get Magdalene to give me a gap year? Or should I just give up on this dream altogether?

Thanks and any input/advice would be appreciated
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lilze)
Hi,

I'm studying History and got an A*A*AA offer via the pool from Magdalene College. I think (touch wood!) I either met or exceeded this offer in my A level exams this summer. My only problem is that, if I meet my offer, I'm pretty desperate to have a gap year instead of going straight to Cambridge in October. (My school annoyingly discouraged me from applying deferred originally).

I've heard Cambridge can be accommodating about these things, and, provided I meet the offer, I was planning on phoning them up on results day and begging for a gap year. I could present some well organised travel plans with a academic/historical twist. I'm aware that my chances of success are probably reduced by the fact that I only got in via the pool and I'm probably seen as a less 'valuable' candidate to them.

Does anyone know if this will work/know anyone who has successfully deferred their place at this late stage? If so is there some other way I could get Magdalene to give me a gap year? Or should I just give up on this dream altogether?

There's no harm in asking - and you might as well ask now rather than after results day so you have more time to work on your plans. The worst they can say is no.
tomfailinghelp
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lilze)
Hi,

This is gonna be an awfully vague post because I can't really say why I've heard this, but I myself have been asking around about some similar issues, and the impression I get is that the University and general is really accommodating. I'd say at least try - afaik they cannot rescind your offer.
cerlohee
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
My college said not to leave it until results day to announce intentions for a deferred entry. I'd call them up as soon as possible and see what they say.
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
You really should contact them asap. I think they'll be quite accommodating but it'd be decent gesture from you to let them know now so that they know and be prepared they'll need to fill the place by someone who missed the condition or from summer pool after the exam result day in August. They'll get quite busy after the A-level result day for obvious reason, it won't be fair to them holding back the information until then if you have made the decision already.

If you're worried the might cancel your offer, which is extremely unlikely I think, you can approach with some tactic, like ask them what they'd think/do IF you may decide to take a gap year and wait for what they say to that. You can decide whether you go ahead with your plan or not depending upon their reply.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lilze)
Hi,

You should call them asap. Today.

They won't (they can't) cancel your offer, although they might say no to deferring. I'd say its likely they will say yes.
Doing it now let's them and you make important decisions in good time and not in a rush on results day (which is their busiest day of the year, by far).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Yes, all they can do is say no. The conditional offer made is binding and cannot be withdrawn unless something is very very wrong (like you lied about which qualifications you had). Don't leave it until results day! Admissions Officers and Directors of Studies/Admissions Tutors are crazy busy in late August and such a request won't be at the top of the priority list.
lilze
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks for all the fast responses! The general consensus seems to be that I should contact Magdalene as soon as possible to request a gap year. Does anyone know if I would significantly reduce my chances of having a gap year if I phoned up on August 13th after results? I feel a bit reluctant to ask for one now, when I haven't even made my offer yet.
Thanks
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Definitely ask - my college (Murray Edwards, which offers gap year travel funding) asked us if anyone was planning on taking a gap year when we came up for our offer holders visit. So Cambridge isn't overly against it

Definitely contact them now, they can then take someone else in the summer pool - if you wait until much later than results day they won't be able to get someone to take your place, so are more likely to say no.

Try and come up with some decent gap year plans and arguments why it would be good for you to take a year out - this will definitely help
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lilze)
Thanks for all the fast responses! The general consensus seems to be that I should contact Magdalene as soon as possible to request a gap year. Does anyone know if I would significantly reduce my chances of having a gap year if I phoned up on August 13th after results? I feel a bit reluctant to ask for one now, when I haven't even made my offer yet.
Thanks
When an actual Cambridge Admission's Tutor (Peterhouse Admissions) is advising you to call them asap it might be best to do so
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lilze)
Thanks
I'm sorry to say this but I don't understand your logic. The only thing I can clearly see is your lack of consideration and gratitude for the college who picked you up from the pool and which is going to be your 'home/family' for 3/4 years, even after all these advices and explanation why it's important for them to be informed asap,,,,,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (147)
28.94%
It went fairly well (241)
47.44%
It didn't go too well (77)
15.16%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.46%

Watched Threads