charterhouse sixth-form

Watch this thread
username1974743
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey y'all! Wondering if anyone on TSR is going to Charterhouse sixth-form this year September. I've been offered a place, but I'm still not sure if I'll go. I kind of want to do IB it seems fun but I'll have to do Eng Lit which I find difficult :P
a.dan
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I am going to apply for a place there for sixth form next year, as I am only going into year 11 now. I'm also interested in doing the IB course, and although English Lit doesn't frighten me that much, two sciences and a modern language sure do . How was the admission process (including the exams) ? Did you find it/them hard? I'm really terrified, but at the same time very very excited and looking forward to the challenge. You can PM me if you wish
handcream
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Just had a child leave Charterhouse. It was the making of him but IB isn't that popular. Most do traditional A levels and Pre U.

I strongly suspect you are female. If you can get an offer do seriously think about it. My son wasn't particularly academic but he is now going to a Top 10 Russell Group.
emtheelf
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I had a friend who did the IB at the grammar school near where she lives and she found it to be a really worthwhile course as she wasn't sure what she wanted to do later. If you're open to continuing in any path later in life, whether that be scientific or arts, then it may well be the right option. However, be sure to think through just how good you are at all the subjects you will have to take as the overall points from all the subjects will count towards your university offer, not just your higher level points.

However, if you've been offered a place at Charterhouse and were capable of passing the entrance exams to go to a private school, I don't really see that you can be too terrible at English Literature or the other core academic subjects in the IB. I decided not to do the IB because I didn't want to do any of the creative subjects that were on offer near me but, assuming you've done okay at GCSE English, surely SL English Lit won't be too bad?
username1974743
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by emtheelf)
I had a friend who did the IB at the grammar school near where she lives and she found it to be a really worthwhile course as she wasn't sure what she wanted to do later. If you're open to continuing in any path later in life, whether that be scientific or arts, then it may well be the right option. However, be sure to think through just how good you are at all the subjects you will have to take as the overall points from all the subjects will count towards your university offer, not just your higher level points.

However, if you've been offered a place at Charterhouse and were capable of passing the entrance exams to go to a private school, I don't really see that you can be too terrible at English Literature or the other core academic subjects in the IB. I decided not to do the IB because I didn't want to do any of the creative subjects that were on offer near me but, assuming you've done okay at GCSE English, surely SL English Lit won't be too bad?
Thanks for the advice!!! I've decided to do IB and I know I want to do psychology later so I know which direction to go thanks!!! I'm worried about Eng. Lit because English is my second language, and I only got A in English and Eng lit for GCSE (I didn't get any B's, all the other subjects I'm taking for IB are A*s apart from Economics, which I didn't do at GCSEs) So I'm worried, but I'm sure I can cope with enough work And I don't like the creative subjects but I can do Chemistry instead :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (8)
22.86%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
8.57%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
11.43%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
8.57%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
22.86%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
25.71%

Watched Threads