The Student Room Group

Shall I cut my hair short??!

Hey, so my hair is quite long atm and I don't like it much, especially now I have ombré hair, but ever since I was young my Asian mother had this obsession with her daughter having really long hair. :colonhash: So I have kept it long since, but I prefer having it shorter, it's easier to maintain and I don't think it will look bad on me? (Hopefully) Also It will mean I have my full black hair back. By short I mean just below my shoulders. Do you girls keep your hair long/short and which do you think will be better? will I regret cutting it short??? Any ideas? :biggrin:EDIT-below my shoulders is short in my mums eyes
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Below your shoulders is mid-length not short. :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Original post by Josb
Below your shoulders is mid-length not short. :rolleyes:

It's short for Asians I guess...:biggrin:
Go for it! It'll grow back eventually if you decide that it's too short for you.
Reply 4
Original post by Sinemetu3
Go for it! It'll grow back eventually if you decide that it's too short for you.

I know but I'm also scared of upsetting my mum :frown: she'll think I'm a failure just because I don't want the mainstream long Asian hair :colonhash:
Nah, I think the majority of guys agree that longer hair looks better. Then again, if you're not bothered for that it doesn't really matter.
Original post by arfah
Hey, so my hair is quite long atm and I don't like it much, especially now I have ombré hair, but ever since I was young my Asian mother had this obsession with her daughter having really long hair. :colonhash: So I have kept it long since, but I prefer having it shorter, it's easier to maintain and I don't think it will look bad on me? (Hopefully) Also It will mean I have my full black hair back. By short I mean just below my shoulders. Do you girls keep your hair long/short and which do you think will be better? will I regret cutting it short??? Any ideas? :biggrin:EDIT-below my shoulders is short in my mums eyes

God don't do it!

You have lovely hair, girls ruin their appearance by cutting it off!
Original post by arfah
I know but I'm also scared of upsetting my mum :frown: she'll think I'm a failure just because I don't want the mainstream long Asian hair :colonhash:

It's your hair, so in the end it's your decision. She'll get over it.
Reply 8
Original post by TornadoGR4
Nah, I think the majority of guys agree that longer hair looks better. Then again, if you're not bothered for that it doesn't really matter.

I'm not fussed about guys atm just my mum :frown:
Original post by Cadherin
God don't do it!

You have lovely hair, girls ruin their appearance by cutting it off!

You think I'll look bad with short hair?? I don't want to look uglier just want to be able to maintain it better
Original post by Sinemetu3
It's your hair, so in the end it's your decision. She'll get over it.

She won't get over it. She'll remind me of how her hair used to be so long and mine is so short compared to hers :colonhash: she does this now too! She wants rapunzel:colonhash:
Original post by arfah
I'm not fussed about guys atm just my mum :frown:

You think I'll look bad with short hair?? I don't want to look uglier just want to be able to maintain it better

She won't get over it. She'll remind me of how her hair used to be so long and mine is so short compared to hers :colonhash: she does this now too! She wants rapunzel:colonhash:

It can't be that hard to maintain it long. A relatively pretty-looking girl cut her hair to cropped in our school and it was such a shame, as she went from looking fairly attractive to an older, uglier version of Mary Creagh.
Think you should keep it long for your mums sake but if its bothering you I'd recommend talkingto her about it.. im sure she'll understand
My hair used to be below my waist, not because I wanted it to be that long but just because I hadn't cut it for quite some time and my hair grows pretty fast. I recently cut a few inches off the length and it definitely looks waay better and is much easier to maintain. It's not short now, it basically comes down to my chest, but it just suits me much better.

Personally, I don't think really long hair looks good unless you constantly style it properly, which I can't be bothered to do. I've had my hair layered and feathered both when it's long and shorter, and me and my family members all think it looks better shorter.

By the way I'm Asian as well if that helps lol.
Reply 12
It can't be that hard to maintain it long. A relatively pretty-looking girl cut her hair to cropped in our school and it was such a shame, as she went from looking fairly attractive to an older, uglier version of Mary Creagh.

Oh so I guess it's comfort VS looks :frown:
Original post by Fullofquestions1
Think you should keep it long for your mums sake but if its bothering you I'd recommend talkingto her about it.. im sure she'll understand

She always gets her way :colonhash: But I'll try. It's summer now too and I just don't like this long haired mess.
Original post by arfah

She always gets her way :colonhash: But I'll try. It's summer now too and I just don't like this long haired mess.

Dont realy know much about long hair being a guy... but if its uncomfortable and affecting your daily lifestyle then possibly get it trimmed?
Original post by arfah

It is comfort vs looks, but I would sacrifice comfort if I were a girl and had hair like you. What a shame!:frown:
Reply 15
Original post by Fullofquestions1
Dont realy know much about long hair being a guy... but if its uncomfortable and affecting your daily lifestyle then possibly get it trimmed?

Trimmed doesn't do anything. I get it trimmed like once in two months. Only to make it grow MORE. > my mums idea sigh
Lol. I hate Boy cuts on girls.
Original post by arfah

The longer the better on girls.
Reply 18
It is comfort vs looks, but I would sacrifice comfort if I were a girl and had hair like you. What a shame!:frown:

Haha it's actually not that great hair. It's really hard to control. Also comfort seems so much more attractive right now :colonhash:
Reply 19
Original post by arfah

Do whatever hairdo you wanna do. If it looks good on you then thats all that matters
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest