Help a level choices!

Watch this thread
At1fa
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys. I'm basically need help with finalising my A-level choices. I chose Chemistry, biology and maths. (As my college only requires us to do 3 options)

I didn't really work best in GCSEs because...well I was lazy and I didn't realise how important they were but I managed to revise hard JUST before my exams and they weren't so bad.

So Im more committed to revising hard from day 1 for my Alevels and I want to maybe go into MEDICINE or DENTISTRY( as my sisters a doctor and she wasn't a perfect student )

And I was thinking how hard is Alevel maths compared to GCSE and also will it be a benefit for taking either those courses? I know it's not compulsory for either but still...?
in GCSE I got solid B's and hoping for an A in my real thing.

Lastly if I didn't take maths, what subject do you reccommend? (Not physics) thank you and please serious answers only
Chicken Bacon
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by At1fa)
Hi guys. I'm basically need help with finalising my A-level choices. I chose Chemistry, biology and maths. (As my college only requires us to do 3 options)

I didn't really work best in GCSEs because...well I was lazy and I didn't realise how important they were but I managed to revise hard JUST before my exams and they weren't so bad.

So Im more committed to revising hard from day 1 for my Alevels and I want to maybe go into MEDICINE or DENTISTRY( as my sisters a doctor and she wasn't a perfect student )

And I was thinking how hard is Alevel maths compared to GCSE and also will it be a benefit for taking either those courses? I know it's not compulsory for either but still...?

Lastly if I didn't take maths, what subject do you reccommend? (Not physics) thank you and please serious answers only
Hey Atifa,

I'm a current year 2 dental student, who also didn't do well at GCSE's. I picked the same A-levels as you, with Physics.

In terms of difficulty of Maths A-level, it's very very different from GCSE maths. It's like a whole new thing, but I wouldn't say it's harder, it's just new.

In my honest opinion, you should be fine, it's easier than Chemistry and biology hands down. A-level maths is basically remembering and using formulas and methods, for similar questions of the same topic. For example, in GCSE maths you should have learnt how to solve simultaneous equations, then they'd give you a variety of simultaneous equations to solve.

I don't want to bait you in to picking maths, because there are some people who genuinely struggle in A-level Maths. But I am sure that if you were to try as you say you would, you will be fine.

If you are to replace Maths with another subject, Psychology is a good one to replace it for. Dentistry involves some psychology when it comes to dealing with patients who are tricky, like children. Not so much though, but It'll give you a bit of a head start. Keep in mind Maths is valued more than Psychology though.

Hope this helps !

If you need anything else, quote me, or pm me.

Hakim.
tcameron
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by At1fa)

I do the same subjects as you and have just started A2 biology, chem, maths and geography. I'm planning on going into medicine (providing my AS grades are good enough)

I really like A-level maths, it's more enjoyable than gcse. It is quite a lot harder though ans i would say, if you cannot do algebra well, DO NOT do A-level maths. To put it into perspective, the things you did that were A/A* grade at gcse are basically the first questions (the easiest ones) you'll get at A-level.

However if you do start hard work and work consistantly thoughout the year you will do fine. Do lots of past papers for maths as maths requires 'practise' not 'revision'.

You need to do A-level chemistry for medicine and densitry so yes it is beneficiary. Also chemistry a-level really does compliment a-level biology very well. I'd say you can take chemistry on it's own and be fine but I feel that if you were to take biology, chemistry should be taken aswell.

If you wasn't to take maths, consider economics as that is a very strong A-level and people seems to enjoy it (I wish i took it instead of geography)

Anyways good luck
Big Blue Machine
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Biology, chemistry and then maths/physics/geography/ are some common combinations. A level maths is hard, but I'd say chemistry is harder. Chemistry is really, REALLY tough.
At1fa
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by tcameron)
I do the same subjects as you and have just started A2 biology, chem, maths and geography. I'm planning on going into medicine (providing my AS grades are good enough)

I really like A-level maths, it's more enjoyable than gcse. It is quite a lot harder though ans i would say, if you cannot do algebra well, DO NOT do A-level maths. To put it into perspective, the things you did that were A/A* grade at gcse are basically the first questions (the easiest ones) you'll get at A-level.

However if you do start hard work and work consistantly thoughout the year you will do fine. Do lots of past papers for maths as maths requires 'practise' not 'revision'.

You need to do A-level chemistry for medicine and densitry so yes it is beneficiary. Also chemistry a-level really does compliment a-level biology very well. I'd say you can take chemistry on it's own and be fine but I feel that if you were to take biology, chemistry should be taken aswell.

If you wasn't to take maths, consider economics as that is a very strong A-level and people seems to enjoy it (I wish i took it instead of geography)

Anyways good luck
Thank you! Your answer really helped. I guess I'll just take maths and work my ass off lmao. Even if it's tough I guess I should take it as I'm not really sure what else to take. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.23%
The paper was reasonable (134)
36.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.67%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.29%

Watched Threads