The Student Room Group

The whole ODP vs nursing thing is making me doubt my nursing offer.

Hi guys,

I've been accepted into children's nursing. But I've been told that it's the most restrictive out of all the branches especially when it comes to career progression.
For me it was always either ODP or children's nursing but with the whole nursing vs ODP debate, my mind just isn't settling on one. And ever since I got my offer, I've been thinking about ODP. Everywhere I read, seems to point out that ODP is miles better. I don't know what to do especially since I've liked looking after kids from the work experience I've done. Any advice would be great.

Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
I d just be thinking you can progress in your career if that's what you really want , sounds like your happier with looking after children so I d stick with it. I believe odp s would start on the same pay as nurses anyway but from nursing you can go on to do a masters /PhD and not sure it's so easy to do that as an odp.
Well, do you want to be able to care for children in a variety of locations, or do you want to look after a variety of patients in the peri operative environment?

Provided you're a sensible and competent practitioner there's no reason why you can't progress your career in either role, especially if you're sensible about where you choose. To work.

What if I were to tell you you could work in theatres as a child branch trained nurse? You can, especially in the big children's hospitals in the cities.
Original post by abcd1230
Hi guys,

I've been accepted into children's nursing. But I've been told that it's the most restrictive out of all the branches especially when it comes to career progression.
For me it was always either ODP or children's nursing but with the whole nursing vs ODP debate, my mind just isn't settling on one. And ever since I got my offer, I've been thinking about ODP. Everywhere I read, seems to point out that ODP is miles better. I don't know what to do especially since I've liked looking after kids from the work experience I've done. Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

There isn't much progression in ODP either if I'm honest. At least with children's nursing you can work in the community, as a health visitor, on wards, in surgery etc

Quick Reply

Latest