Turn on thread page Beta

rubbish at driving watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    Somewhere with a 28% pass rate per annum and examiners that always seem to be striking.
    gawd that sounds like wood green. the examiners were on strike so they cancelled my last test :mad: (ive said this before, but its just annoying)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone passed the advanced driving tests?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    It does suck if you have to keep catching buses/shelling out for taxis but it's better than being unsafe.
    What? The risk is just as high, you're still on the road!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johncleaner)
    Anybody else lack driving skills? I've failed four times and my theory test certificate expires by next January!
    hey i was in the same position as you......... i had to change my driving instructor and passed on my 6th attempt!!!!!!!!!! don't let it get to you, passing the driving test is a *******

its also so damn expensive to learn how to drive, especially when you're a student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nofronting)
    What? The risk is just as high, you're still on the road!
    Yes, but you're not actually in control of the vehicle are you?!! :rolleyes:

most of the ppl i know failed on Manoeuvres not general driving, and the more tests you take the better prepared you'll be once you've passed, coz you've had someone assess and criticise your driving ability, ppl who pas first time may have fluked it coz they weren't assessed on something they are weak at

ReputationRep:
    1st time - i failed because I didn't see this woman on the other side of the road so examiner used dual control brakes

2nd time - when i was doing a parallel park I didn't stop when a cyclist went passed me

3rd time - I was going too fast at junctions apparently

4th time - completely panicked. I even went through a red light ( I personally think it was amber) and I was told I was driving like 'a bat out of hell'
    LOL Amber lights mean "STOP" as well as red ones.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else lack driving skills? I've failed four times and my theory test certificate expires by next January!
    i passed but almost crashed 4 times yesterday and accidentally joined the motorway...hmmnn

ReputationRep:
    My dad took his advanced driving test a few years ago. I remember his examiner was a police officer and i also remember being in the back of the car and had to be silent for 2 hours cos u cant talk during it.... i wish i hadn't gone with him now!!!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Do you think there should be a limit on how many times you can take your driving test? E.g. If you fail more than 5 times you should just give up, accept you're a danger on the roads and take the bus??

Not meaning to sound harsh btw although now I am expecting some abuse...
    Nah I think that's a load of crap to be honest! The test in the UK is really harsh and it's so easy to fail when you're under pressure cause one tiny thing can cost you your whole test. Your driving instructor wouldn't put you in for test if they didn't think you were ready. And anyways, practise makes perfect and even the people who pass first time aren't brilliant drivers, it's a skill that takes time to develop.

I failed my first test cause I didn't stop in time when I was reversing around a corner and another car was coming up the road. In reality I don't think I'd be reversing around corners too often and I was crawling around it so slowly anyway that nobody came to harm, but that gives you a major and so I failed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    Nah I think that's a load of crap to be honest! The test in the UK is really harsh and it's so easy to fail when you're under pressure cause one tiny thing can cost you your whole test.
    When you're driving a car down the road your life and the lives of everyone else in the vecinity are literally in your hands. To me the pressure of passing or failing a test should not be stronger than the pressure of living or dying. Therefore if you can't cope under the pressure of a driving test, how can you cope with the pressure of having peoples lives in your hands?

ReputationRep:
    dont worry about it. i didn't pass till my fifth try

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    When you're driving a car down the road your life and the lives of everyone else in the vecinity are literally in your hands. To me the pressure of passing or failing a test should not be stronger than the pressure of living or dying. Therefore if you can't cope under the pressure of a driving test, how can you cope with the pressure of having peoples lives in your hands?
    Well we obviously have a different mentality to me because when someone is staring at me watching my every move I tend to get nervous, when driving along with no examiner I feel fine. Getting through 40 minutes of driving without making any mistakes doesn't make you a fantastic driver, you could pull off the test centre car park after passing and cause a huge pile up.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.