What to expect when buying a car? Watch

bailfire
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,

Say I am pleased with the car, all the history and MOTs work out and the car is in good shape etc. What happens now? Is there some sort of contract that should be made to show proof of purchase? A receipt? Do I hand the money first? Should it be via bank transfer or paypal for security? Once the money is there, what documents do I need to make the car officially mine and in my name. I know buying a car isn't as simple as buying a second hand TV so I was hoping someone who has done this before could advise me a bit.

Thanks
KCLeblanc
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It will vary a lot depending on how much the car costs and who you're buying it from. But for cars under £500 I've generally used cash. I would insist on a receipt, ideally with the registration number or chassis number on it.

There should be document with the car called the V5C (which people sometimes call the log book). The seller will need to fill this in with your details, you then both need to sign it. There's a section they should tear off and give to you and then the rest of it they need to post off to the DVLA. It's technically against the rules but the seller might just sign the V5C and then give it to you to fill out and post. You will then be send a new V5C in a few days.

Remember you need to tax the car as soon as you take ownership of it, you can't transfer the tax anymore. Even if the car as a valid tax disk.
kernow24
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bailfire)
Hi all,

Say I am pleased with the car, all the history and MOTs work out and the car is in good shape etc. What happens now? Is there some sort of contract that should be made to show proof of purchase? A receipt? Do I hand the money first? Should it be via bank transfer or paypal for security? Once the money is there, what documents do I need to make the car officially mine and in my name. I know buying a car isn't as simple as buying a second hand TV so I was hoping someone who has done this before could advise me a bit.

Thanks
on the contrary, its just as easy.

a receipt can be helpful, but people generally treat the v5 / new keepers slip as proof of purchase, just check the address is the same as the owners etc a receipt isn't really needed, if you have the new keepers slip, have taken cash out of the bank or done a bank transfer, its more than enough proof for a court to decide that you've purchased the car.

if its a higher value car, get a HPI check done, they don't cost much, anything under a grand I don't generally bother with one, sticking the reg in to autotrader will flag up if its a write off, and finance isn't generally an issue with low value cars https://selling.autotrader.co.uk/find-car except fr things like logbook loans, which wont show up on a HPI anyway.

Go pays your money, cash / bank transfer, whatever you and the seller are happy with.

fill out the V5, get the green 'new keepers slip' and the jobs a good-un

you now own a car.

the seller should send off the V5, your new one generally takes a couple of weeks to arrive, if it doesn't, things do get lost in the post, the seller forgets to send it off etc, you can get apply for one free with the green slip you got when purchasing with form v62, it doesnt cost anything if you have the green slip https://www.gov.uk/government/public...on-certificate

use the ref number on the new keepers slip to tax online https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax or at the post office, technically tax becomes invalid the second you buy the car, in practice the systems aren't updated until the v5 is processed and the new one sent, so just driving home wont generally be an issue, and you wont be flagged for having no tax by ANPR / police etc

sort out your insurance.

Go to McDonalds drive thru - everybody does that, right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (297)
60.37%
Yes- I don't like it (24)
4.88%
No- I want it (135)
27.44%
No- I don't want it (36)
7.32%

Watched Threads