Unsure about BTEC for getting into university???

Watch
shmelissas
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello there,

I am just about to start sixth form, and considering taking A Level Maths, A Level Computing, and either A Level or BTEC Business Studies. I am hoping to take a Computer Science course at university (been looking at uni's such as Birmingham, York, Bristol), and was just wondering whether business BTEC would affect my chances of getting into university, compared to an A Level in business? I would rather choose BTEC business as I like the way that it works, and believe that I would enjoy it more than that A Level course (however I wouldn't mind the A Level course).

Has anyone been in a similar position, or has done BTECs and is at university now?

Any advice would be very much appreciated :-)

Melissa
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think doing a btec will disadvantage you for comp sci.
RedNebula
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you need to email the admissions of the courses and unis you are looking at to see what they say and whether they will accept a BTEC. I went to Sheffield uni open day today, the medical course there said they do not accept BTECs so it's worth finding out
Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did BTEC in IT and I got into all 5 of my uni choices and i am going into my second year of Computer Science at Royal Holloway, i would advise you to take the BTEC in IT over Business if possible, the IT BTEC will be similar to Computing A level but you will learn important things that do not get covered on Computing A level
shmelissas
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm going to take your advice and contact the unis themselves to see whether a mix of BTEC and A levels would be acceptable for them. Thanks again :-)
genson
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've done a BTEC (got D*D*D*) and I would say just go for A-levels. It'll open more doors for you in terms of what unis you can apply for but it also depends what unis you're aiming for. If you're happy not being able to apply to the likes of Imperial etc., do a mix of A-levels and BTEC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sarahmh_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can still do Comp Sci with a BTEC provided you get D*D*D/DDD but I would recommend doing the BTEC in IT as oppose to Business definitely.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (137)
28.48%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.51%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.33%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.36%
No - I live at home during term anyway (141)
29.31%

Watched Threads