This discussion is closed.
TS2Master
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
After reading a post by somone in the Maths Further Maths topic, I wondered what would happen if two things were travelling in opposite directions, but both at a velocity of 2x10^8 m/s. The relative velocity of one of the objects to the other would be 4x10^8 m/s. Because this is faster than the speed of light, what would be visible from one of the objects? Sorry if this i a stupid idea and there is no way it is possible, but if you think about it, its quite an interesting little idea...... at least I think it is anyway. Discuss.
Sean2004
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by TS2Master
After reading a post by somone in the Maths Further Maths topic, I wondered what would happen if two things were travelling in opposite directions, but both at a velocity of 2x10^8 m/s. The relative velocity of one of the objects to the other would be 4x10^8 m/s. Because this is faster than the speed of light, what would be visible from one of the objects? Sorry if this i a stupid idea and there is no way it is possible, but if you think about it, its quite an interesting little idea...... at least I think it is anyway. Discuss.
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i guess that as neither is moving faster than the speed of light its self, each would see a delayed version of the other- very interesting!
Sean2004
Report 16 years ago
how do you do yhat line think?
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what?
Sean2004
Report 16 years ago
that ----------------------------

blablabla
Sean2004
Report 16 years ago
the

--------------------------------------

.......dont mix drinks
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Set your signature in your profile.
Col-C
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't think you'd be able to see it. This is probably wrong, but....

Assume the other craft-thing is just visible. Surely by the time the light reaches you so that you can tell that it's just visible then it will have gone beyond the point at which it is just visible.

*after more thought*

Yes, you'd be travelling away from the craft at 4 x 10^8 ms-1 but the light from it can only travel at 3 x 10^8 ms-1, so it would never reach you.

However, in this unusual world, time dilation probably does something infinately weird to it.

So basically my reasoned answer is - I haven't got a clue.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Indeed, quite interesting.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Since the relative velocity is greater than the speed of light, the craft wouldn't see the other craft.

Phil
TS2Master
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Thanks for the answers guys. Even though I posted this over 8 months ago. Time-dilation sounds interesting though.
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TS2Master)
I read this once, I think the solution mentioned ir true: velocity is irrelevant because there is no point you coud refer to. The two travellers would never know about each other.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TS2Master)
Thanks for the answers guys. Even though I posted this over 8 months ago. Time-dilation sounds interesting though.
Isn't that nice - an oldie returns. Welcome back, oldie.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hm okay so T = t(1 - v^2/c^2)^-1/2

so the time dilation factor is a complex number? interesting, I don't think it could happen?

*waits to be bashed by all those who actually do know how to apply relativity*
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ben2111)
I read this once, I think the solution mentioned ir true: velocity is irrelevant because there is no point you coud refer to. The two travellers would never know about each other.
There's still a displacement of one ship from the other though, surely?
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
hm okay so T = t(1 - v^2/c^2)^-1/2

so the time dilation factor is a complex number? interesting, I don't think it could happen?

*waits to be bashed by all those who actually do know how to apply relativity*
Time dilation won't be complex, cos you can't travel greater than the speed of light. As v -> c, v^2/c^2 -> 1, obviously.
Mr Brightside
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Not possible, the only thing that can move at the speed of light is light itself. It has been suggested that anything moving close to that velocity, would change to pure energy itself.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
Time dilation won't be complex, cos you can't travel greater than the speed of light. As v -> c, v^2/c^2 -> 1, obviously.
Yeah I know, and time dilation -> infinity, but I don't quite understand the condition. So the relative velocity between them is v, then as I understand, the mass increases. But what mass increases, is there such thing as relative mass? Which mass increases? Because it's like:

Say you have a point O, and a mass A moving away from O at v ms^-1, and another mass B moving away from O at -v ms^-1. A is going to have one mass relative to O, and a different one relative to B?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Woodsy)
Not possible, the only thing that can move at the speed of light is light itself. It has been suggested that anything moving close to that velocity, would change to pure energy itself.
See the example above though, it's moving less than the speed of light relative to one object but faster relative to an other. I'm guessing this is where the "the concept of a velocity between them is non existant" comes in. This seems very interesting.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads