Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    do i 'need' extra time in exams..? hmm, probably not, but if i'm entitled to it then i've found you can always spend longer thinking about the questions & making essays suberb as opposed to merely A grade/upper 2.1.. am i a perfectionist?

& look into the DSA..it's not means tested in the slightest & up to ~£14,000 per year for a helper of sorts, as well as photo-copying, equipment like lap tops, dictaphones etc.
    It may be worth a look, but I am am going into my 3rd year so it may be a late. I did have extra time for my GCSEs but I only really needed it in one subject, I finished befor the deadline in the others.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry amazingtrades u are smart enough
    how is ur website going??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    Don't worry amazingtrades u are smart enough
    how is ur website going??
    Its not really, I need to find some decent freeware graphics package. I am hoping to register a domain name and hosting account tomorrow.

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    They counted special needs as people with behaverial difficulties, or bratts. That to me is very different to somebody in a wheel chair yet they are both braned under the same thing.:confused:
    It's a national thing, not just your school. Anyone that requires any special attention, for whatever reason, is classed as special needs. Very intelligent students are often classed as special needs, because they need to be 'stretched' academically.

ReputationRep:
    Its not really, I need to find some decent freeware graphics package. I am hoping to register a domain name and hosting account tomorrow.
    good luck heheh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    It's a national thing, not just your school. Anyone that requires any special attention, for whatever reason, is classed as special needs. Very intelligent students are often classed as special needs, because they need to be 'stretched' academically.
    hey harry potter again, owowo no what's wrong with his face?

it looks so sexy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    I know its a national thing (p.s I left school in 1999) but its just wrong. SENCO just covers far too many people with totaly different kind of needs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron Huntroyde)
    Has anyone read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time?
    yeah that it such a good book.

ReputationRep:
    It may be worth a look, but I am am going into my 3rd year so it may be a late. I did have extra time for my GCSEs but I only really needed it in one subject, I finished befor the deadline in the others.
    I'm a Finalist now, and if someone tapped me on the shoulder and told me I could have an extra 30 minutes; I'd bite their hand off. Get as much time as you possible can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    When that happens, even if I haven't finished the paper or its not as good as it could be, I stop. Even if I end up with a lower grade, I don't use time that I didn't need specifically because of having a disability, because I don't want anyone saying, or me thinking myself, "I only got my grades because I had extra time".

I personally would never use my extra time to go back and make everything as perfect as possible, because I've never had a real exam (as in, before I had writing problems) where I had enough time to make that possible...

i probably am over-......something......about this. but hey

rosie
    that's completely understandable.. though TBH with my essay based subjects i just included the extra time in that i scheduled for each plan/essay Q etc.

but my extra time wasn't as straightforwardly given as n the basis of something that makes writing itself difficult, more that in theory i should have a stunted vocabulary (or something.. )

but i was always a person who had time to check answers anyway!

& i didn't feel particularly concerned that i got the grades purely with extra time because my GCSEs (where i didn't!) were on a par with my A levels & most subjects were so far over the boundaries, even if i hadn't proofread again & spent a little longer planning which order to put my points in i doubt it would have had a significant impact. & my oxford entrance exam (possibly the hardest one i've ever done..) i did without any.

pfff..not sure if i think the extra time thing is a sound idea..but like Baz..i was randomly offered it so thought why not?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    yes..that was what i was saying?

..that with essay based subjects it can always be useful.. i didn't even know i should till i moved to 6th form, then took it for history, english lit & GS but found for physics, chemistry & biology wasn't really any use.
    But couldn't everyone do with extra time for essay based subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

Yeah but I guess some people need it for than others, for example if it takes you a long time to read things or write. I got extra time because of my dyspraxia which mean't it takes me longer to write things down,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

yeah, probably. only difference is most people just want it..! my 6th form told me i had to be assessed by an education psychologist & his recommendations were in line with the national exam boards criteria that i be allocated it.

there was a medical basis to it, believe it or not..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I would not view myself as a genius by eany stretch of the imagination, but yes I have aspurgers.
    That's quite rare isn't it? Do you have depression as well?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but I guess some people need it for than others, for example if it takes you a long time to read things or write. I got extra time because of my dyspraxia which mean't it takes me longer to write things down,
    I just thought about what I'd written and it is a bit stupid really because if everyone got extra time the grade boundaries would be the same comparitively (sp) so it wouldn't make any difference. I understand why some people get extra time and I think that it's fair that they do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    I get extra 25% time in exams because i have physical difficulties writing.

however i don't always need all this time in that I didn't spend that much time resting or I didn't write that much more slowly.

When that happens, even if I haven't finished the paper or its not as good as it could be, I stop. Even if I end up with a lower grade, I don't use time that I didn't need specifically because of having a disability, because I don't want anyone saying, or me thinking myself, "I only got my grades because I had extra time".

I personally would never use my extra time to go back and make everything as perfect as possible, because I've never had a real exam (as in, before I had writing problems) where I had enough time to make that possible...

i probably am over-......something......about this. but hey

rosie
    people used to get a little pissed off i got extra time in exams - though i felt i needed it. i came out with 11 A*s for gcse... i cant help but think if i hadnt had those extra few minutes to just relax and take my time/ check over at the end, i mightve dropped a grade or 2!!! specially where in an art exam you could end up with 4-5 extra hours! that irritated people.

about DSA... does anyone claim it here? i think i might apply. do you need to state specific equipment/ transport/ etc you require and they judge each request on its own... or can you just make a general vague claim for day to day expenses? not sure if you have to be registered disabled either... as i am not... dont need no more labels!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    That's quite rare isn't it? Do you have depression as well?
    I say I'm not a genius, but I am still reasonably intelligent. I do not have depression, why would you think that.

ReputationRep:
    I had thought that there can be a very thin line. I thought that some people who have aspergers, usually did have depression

(Original post by Elles)
    that's completely understandable.. though TBH with my essay based subjects i just included the extra time in that i scheduled for each plan/essay Q etc.

but my extra time wasn't as straightforwardly given as n the basis of something that makes writing itself difficult, more that in theory i should have a stunted vocabulary (or something.. )

but i was always a person who had time to check answers anyway!

& i didn't feel particularly concerned that i got the grades purely with extra time because my GCSEs (where i didn't!) were on a par with my A levels & most subjects were so far over the boundaries, even if i hadn't proofread again & spent a little longer planning which order to put my points in i doubt it would have had a significant impact. & my oxford entrance exam (possibly the hardest one i've ever done..) i did without any.

pfff..not sure if i think the extra time thing is a sound idea..but like Baz..i was randomly offered it so thought why not?!
    yeah... if you genuinly need it obviously you should have it, and last year I used all mine to the full. For one thing writing with your non dominant hand to give the other one a break is about 10000 times slower! I only dont really neeed it all when I just have one exam at once, and it's a good day on top of that.

rosie

Ps. are you prelingually deaf? sorry if youre not just a random thought from what you;d said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    I had thought that there can be a very thin line. I thought that some people who have aspergers, usually did have depression
    yeah, i htink its quite common. i only know 1 person with aspergers and they had very severe depression with psychosis and crap like that. i think its because of the lack of contact they felt with whats going on around them. this particular person was extremely talented though, and is going to have an amazing life dfrom what i can tell. apparantly theres a link with autistic spectrum disorders and psychopathy... not sure how convinced i am at that one, but i suppose there are some common symptoms like the difficulty reading others emotions.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.