The Student Room Group

Investment Banking from Law Degree

Basically, I am applying to university in September to do a degree in:
Law (LLB) - Leeds
Law (European and International) (LLB) - Sheffield
Law and American Studies (LLB) - Sussex
Law (LLB) - Nottingham
Law (LLB) - Queens Belfast

All my GCSE's were A's and A*'s and at A level I will inevitably achieve at least three A's, more likely 3A*'s, in Politics, Philosophy and Geography, as well as a projected A* in EPQ (AS subject). I flunked English so will probably only have achieved a B in that at AS.

Regardless, I'm obviously hoping to do a Law degree because the subject itself interests me. I've recently changed my mind, however, and I now have the goal of working in investment banking. It's too late for me to start re-drafting my personal statement etc. to change my course, when in all honesty, I'd still like to do the degrees I'm applying for. I was considering doing a Law and Finance Masters, post-grad, since I assume you will have had to have done a degree in Economics or similar to do a postgrad in investment banking.

Ultimately- the plan is to finish uni, do a masters and become an investment banker- as well as moving to the US at some point, either to begin a career or after a few years in one.

I have great work experience at one of London's top law firms, the House of Commons and with the local MP as well.

What else do I need to do to become an investment banker? Is my approach too far fetched or are you able to transfer after a law degree?

What would you recommend at this particular point in my life in order to progress through uni with a law degree, then go into investment banking?

Cheers for any replies.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by person3867
Basically, I am applying to university in September to do a degree in:
Law (LLB) - Leeds
Law (European and International) (LLB) - Sheffield
Law and American Studies (LLB) - Sussex
Law (LLB) - Nottingham
Law (LLB) - Queens Belfast

All my GCSE's were A's and A*'s and at A level I will inevitably achieve at least three A's, more likely 3A*'s, in Politics, Philosophy and Geography, as well as a projected A* in EPQ (AS subject). I flunked English so will probably only have achieved a B in that at AS.

Regardless, I'm obviously hoping to do a Law degree because the subject itself interests me. I've recently changed my mind, however, and I now have the goal of working in investment banking. It's too late for me to start re-drafting my personal statement etc. to change my course, when in all honesty, I'd still like to do the degrees I'm applying for. I was considering doing a Law and Finance Masters, post-grad, since I assume you will have had to have done a degree in Economics or similar to do a postgrad in investment banking.

Ultimately- the plan is to finish uni, do a masters and become an investment banker- as well as moving to the US at some point, either to begin a career or after a few years in one.

I have great work experience at one of London's top law firms, the House of Commons and with the local MP as well.

What else do I need to do to become an investment banker? Is my approach too far fetched or are you able to transfer after a law degree?

What would you recommend at this particular point in my life in order to progress through uni with a law degree, then go into investment banking?

Cheers for any replies.

Why haven't you applied to higher ranked universities? Evidently you have very good grades
Reply 2
It's based on three factors- the course itself, the year abroad and the social life.

Nottingham, Sussex and Sheffield are the only universities that offer a year abroad to the US universities I'd like to attend
Queens Belfast I chose based on the post-grad options at the time, including the JD Law Degree
Leeds is the central place for the type of music events, etc. and night life I'd hope for so although it's more of a security choice, I'd enjoy myself there

Ultimately, members of my family have well proved that it's better to enjoy your time at uni and work hard to get a First, but then progress and do a Masters at a far more prestigious university.
I know that I can achieve wherever I choose to go and it won't affect my potential so it seems better for me to enjoy my time at university with nights out, gigs etc. than go to somewhere boring if the graduate prospects are equal.
Don't bother, you can make enough money from Law. And why are you not applying to Oxbridge?
I'd echo Magnus Taylor's question. If you do a law degree at one of the IB target universities (Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, Warwick, UCL), you may be able to transfer. However, you've applied (If I can remember correctly - I can't see your post right here) to non-targets. It will be even more difficult for an IB recruiter to see a non-target lawyer as a potential IBD employee. I was speaking to a senior associate at a mid-cap PE firm the other day and he told me that it was unusual for a person with a law degree to be employed in a capacity that doesn't utilise their legal knowledge.

I've just spoken to dad, who, before he retired a couple of years ago, was an MD at a large investment bank. He told me your best shot is to get into a Magic/Silver circle law firm (maybe BigLaw if you want to go to America as well?), get into the corporate M&A department and then, after a number of years - hopefully getting somewhere near partner - transferring to a slightly smaller boutique investment bank where you can join as a senior member and so be able to do some more of the dealmaking.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Ah thank you, this is really helpful!! I didn't realise Warwick was targeted- would you recommend replacing Leeds with Warwick then?

Thank you so much, that is really helpful.
Ah thank you, this is really helpful!! I didn't realise Warwick was targeted- would you recommend replacing Leeds with Warwick then?

Yep, Warwick is a very strong target - not just for middle office and back office positions, but for front office jobs, too. It's not a hugely academic university (well, I mean, it is, just not as much as its fellow target unis) but every single BB targets there and actively attempts to attract people from Warwick over there.

Edit: Actually, scrap that. If your plan is, as my dad suggested, to do 'proper' law and then transfer, you'll need to apply to a university that's known for getting its lawyers into law firms. I don't think Warwick is one of them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Oh wow, fantastic! I'll change to apply there then- thank you!
Original post by ibzombie96

I've just spoken to dad, who, before he retired a couple of years ago, was an MD at a large investment bank. He told me your best shot is to get into a Magic/Silver circle law firm (maybe BigLaw if you want to go to America as well?), get into the corporate M&A department and then, after a number of years - hopefully getting somewhere near partner - transferring to a slightly smaller boutique investment bank where you can join as a senior member and so be able to do some more of the dealmaking.

Or get a few years work experience and get a MBA from a top business school, that would be much faster then waiting to become a partner.

And if you did make it to partner at a Magic Circle law firm, you'd have to have a screw in your head to transfer from that position to a 'small investment bank'.
Original post by ibzombie96
Yep, Warwick is a very strong target - not just for middle office and back office positions, but for front office jobs, too. It's not a hugely academic university (well, I mean, it is, just not as much as its fellow target unis) but every single BB targets there and actively attempts to attract people from Warwick over there.

Edit: Actually, scrap that. If your plan is, as my dad suggested, to do 'proper' law and then transfer, you'll need to apply to a university that's known for getting its lawyers into law firms. I don't think Warwick is one of them.

Lol as a law student I can say Warwick is definitely one of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Work experience in what sense? Also, what is an MBA? Please could you explain in more detail! This is only a recent decision I've made so I know more about Law really :/

nottingham is excellent for law is better than warwick for the course, im currently at university at warwick. notts law/econ are fine for fo ib contrary to whats said on this site. what specifically interests you about ib?
Original post by welcometoib
nottingham is excellent for law is better than warwick for the course, im currently at university at warwick. notts law/econ are fine for fo ib contrary to whats said on this site. what specifically interests you about ib?

Ahhhhh this explains a lot.
Reply 13
Yeah I've heard that about Notts actually- I'm not sure if I could apply for law and econ, however, seeing as school is over now and we've already had to extensively draft our personal statements and mine is fully about law!
I suppose the more diverse environment, the control, the responsibility and the idea of being around like-minded people. Also I suppose the money is an important factor aha, it can take years to earn much as a lawyer whereas it's rather different with IB
Original post by Adipoptosis
Ahhhhh this explains a lot.

such as?
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Lol as a law student I can say Warwick is definitely one of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok cool I just wasn't sure
Work experience in what sense? Also, what is an MBA? Please could you explain in more detail! This is only a recent decision I've made so I know more about Law really :/

Well look, I think you can move into investment banking at two stages.

If you do Law at university and you're at a good university, you can apply for analyst internships and get an offer for a proper analyst position for when you graduate. If you're at a target university, this is easily possible. There is no real degree that is perfect for IB. My friends studying medicine managed to get a summer analyst IB internship from Oxford. Many people do it when studying Law.

The other way to do it is to start working as a lawyer and then use a 2 year MBA program to move into finance. If you got an MBA from somewhere like London Business School or INSEAD (in Paris) then you'd have a good chance of moving into IB as an associate (higher than an analyst). This is more expensive and wastes a little more time but it means you can work within Law for a while before you move into IB.

I think you need to understand its more important where you study and how you do while you're there, rather than what you study.
Yeah I've heard that about Notts actually- I'm not sure if I could apply for law and econ, however, seeing as school is over now and we've already had to extensively draft our personal statements and mine is fully about law!
I suppose the more diverse environment, the control, the responsibility and the idea of being around like-minded people. Also I suppose the money is an important factor aha, it can take years to earn much as a lawyer whereas it's rather different with IB

if you want actual advice on ib, ibd apps in particular, pm, your qs will get lost quickly in threads.
Oh wow, fantastic! I'll change to apply there then- thank you!

Your grades are amazing well done!!!, you should apply to LSE/UCL/Warwick, they are heavily targeted. I think at UCL you can spend a year at Columbia University which is an Ivy league school.

May I ask why want to move to the states and where are you from (just out of curious)???
Original post by Adipoptosis
Or get a few years work experience and get a MBA from a top business school, that would be much faster then waiting to become a partner.

And if you did make it to partner at a Magic Circle law firm, you'd have to have a screw in your head to transfer from that position to a 'small investment bank'.

Yeah the MBA route is good as well

People do still transfer as partners in MC/BigLaw to investment banks. When I say small investment banks, I'm not talking piddly little things - boutique investment banks are only small on a relative scale, and can often pay the most senior guys more than top equity partners at top law firms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending