Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AS chemistry mod 3....aaaaaargh! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okies....mod 3 is driving me totally insane. Can somebody please tell me if i've managed to come anywhere near the right answer with this question...

Give the stuctural formulae of the two alkenes obtained when 2-bromo-2-methylbutane reacts with ethanolic potassium hydroxide. Deduce the names of the two products.
    I figured it was an elimination and ended up with

1) CH3CCH3=CHCH3
    2-methylbut-2-ene

2) CH2=CCH3CH2CH3
    2-methylbut-1-ene

is this at all correct in any way?!...also if it is, can't u get cis-trans isomerism on the 1st one?

ReputationRep:
    please please please somebody help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happyelf)
    Okies....mod 3 is driving me totally insane. Can somebody please tell me if i've managed to come anywhere near the right answer with this question...

Give the stuctural formulae of the two alkenes obtained when 2-bromo-2-methylbutane reacts with ethanolic potassium hydroxide. Deduce the names of the two products.

1) CH3CCH3=CHCH3
    2-methylbut-2-ene

2) CH2=CCH3CH2CH3
    2-methylbut-1-ene

is this at all correct in any way?!...also if it is, can't u get cis-trans isomerism on the 1st one?
    Basically, all the bromine atoms are being eliminated and you get the alkenes back.

er... i'm not sure of the cis-trans one... cant be bothered to draw it out... but just look at it if it could be different due to the restriction of rotation about the double carbon-carbon bond...

ReputationRep:
    im willing to answer other questions but not draw things plz lol.

ReputationRep:
    okies...so is that right what i have done then (ignoring the cis-trans thing)

ReputationRep:
    okies...so is that right what i have done then (ignoring the cis-trans thing)
    there's no cis and trans isomerism.

ReputationRep:
    is the first bit right tho?

ReputationRep:
    I got 2-methylbut-3-ene

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I got 2-methylbut-3-ene
    u can't get but-3-ene....cos u have to number the functional group with the lowest number possible. if u turn the molecule round it will be the same as but-1-ene or but-2-ene i think. can't be bothered drawing it

ReputationRep:

1) CH3CCH3=CHCH3
    2-methylbut-2-ene

2) CH2=CCH3CH2CH3
    2-methylbut-1-ene

I get 2-methylbut-1-ene and 2-methylbut-2-ene but I am guarantying that I am right.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.