Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey, do Universities in general let you access their routers in order to get an active connection rather than a passive,

for programs such as Overnet and DC++ i like to have specific ports designated for these programs (like i do at home) so i can get the maximum download speed and not have to be behind the in built firewall

or can you ask them for a certain port to be free or something?

ReputationRep:
    does bit torrent work in the universities..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
    hey, do Universities in general let you access their routers in order to get an active connection rather than a passive,

for programs such as Overnet and DC++ i like to have specific ports designated for these programs (like i do at home) so i can get the maximum download speed and not have to be behind the in built firewall

or can you ask them for a certain port to be free or something?
    You must be joking. P2P applications are mostly banned by most unis- we tried to do something similar and our hall told us no. Also, if you're on Janet then file sharing is against the terms and conditions of the connection.

ReputationRep:
    are you sure of that?

****...have you tried overnet and DC++ specifically?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the Uni, but I've tried them all at LSE (for research for my research paper about file sharing and its effects) and none of them work. The same is true for other unis as well.

ReputationRep:
    this really sucks, no p2p, no IRC, no SSH, no FTP, no nothing, so what the hell are we gonna use the net for, reading newspapers???

ReputationRep:
    WHAT The **** ! no FTP either?!

does anyone know about Birmingham Uni's internet restrictions?!

ReputationRep:
    For Edinburgh specifically, I heard that they are mapping ports to do stuff. I mean, what the hell, it's the net, everyone should use it the way they want! It's like being in a room with a drunk and really cute girl who wants to do it with you, but can't, cos she's with iron locked up knickers ;D

ReputationRep:
    FTP is throttled right back. Generally only HTTP traffic is really fast (inc HTTP based downloads). Everything else is around 1kb/sec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuvverRussia)
    FTP is throttled right back. Generally only HTTP traffic is really fast (inc HTTP based downloads). Everything else is around 1kb/sec

but HTTP downloads hardly exist anymore,

does bittorrent count?

dam, i love dc++ and overnet and cuteFTP, how will i survive? ****ing hell, ****ing hell

ReputationRep:
    WTF?

Maybe it's just my college, but as well as HTTP, FTP is lightspeed here, so is POP & SMTP and Internet gaming. Bittorrent works fine, Overnet is on the go as I write this (albeit at less than 30Kb/sec, but I think that's the people I'm downloading from rather than me. Kazaa worked last time I tried it, although Grokster didn't.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, IRC is fine too.

Thank God I didn't go to the LSE after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    WTF?

Maybe it's just my college, but as well as HTTP, FTP is lightspeed here, so is POP & SMTP and Internet gaming. Bittorrent works fine, Overnet is on the go as I write this (albeit at less than 30Kb/sec, but I think that's the people I'm downloading from rather than me. Kazaa worked last time I tried it, although Grokster didn't.

Which college are you at again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    WTF?

Chris, everything in my hall is really, really slow (I've tried most programs for 'research purposes'), especially msn file sharing. It's fast in the library though which is good. POP and SMTP are OK, but you only get a 10mb max file size which is ****, although it's ok for mp3s. I actually find it easiest to get my brother to download stuff at Warwick (they have an internal p2p network) and to email it to me.

I find it annoying, because you often need to use FTP and stuff for legitimate purposes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuvverRussia)
    Chris, everything in my hall is really, really slow (I've tried most programs for 'research purposes'), especially msn file sharing. It's fast in the library though which is good. POP and SMTP are OK, but you only get a 10mb max file size which is ****, although it's ok for mp3s. I actually find it easiest to get my brother to download stuff at Warwick (they have an internal p2p network) and to email it to me.

I find it annoying, because you often need to use FTP and stuff for legitimate purposes.
    That really takes the michael, even 30kb/s download is rather pants considering I can get 90-130kb/s at home. It is ridiculous that unis clamp down so much on internet use. I bet the the techie staff at these places are a law unto themselves and are downloading everything under the sun (not just the mp3s that we want).

ReputationRep:
    ok, here at warwick:

Bittorrent- sometimes as good as 200kb/sec
    IRC works- we have our own irc server + quakenet etc is ok
    Gaming- we have our own servers on the LAN=great pings
    DC++- internal hub, download stuff at 10mb/sec
    Kazaa- the traffic shaper used to be ****ed, was great (300+ k off kazaa per sec, they fixed it, now you're lucky to see 56k speeds).
    HTTP- works fine, up to 4mb/sec
    SMTP/POP- depends on department really.
    MSN- file transfers are really good over campus, adequate elsewhere.

Also there is NO way you'll get access to the routers here, they're worth about £50k a piece (cisco black diamond ones or something similar iirc).

Can't think of any more protocols you might need off the top of my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynox)
    ok, here at warwick:

Bittorrent- sometimes as good as 200kb/sec
    IRC works- we have our own irc server + quakenet etc is ok
    Gaming- we have our own servers on the LAN=great pings
    DC++- internal hub, download stuff at 10mb/sec
    Kazaa- the traffic shaper used to be ****ed, was great (300+ k off kazaa per sec, they fixed it, now you're lucky to see 56k speeds).
    HTTP- works fine, up to 4mb/sec
    SMTP/POP- depends on department really.
    MSN- file transfers are really good over campus, adequate elsewhere.

Also there is NO way you'll get access to the routers here, they're worth about £50k a piece (cisco black diamond ones or something similar iirc).

Can't think of any more protocols you might need off the top of my head.
    Sounds good... I'll be going to warwick if I get my grades :P
    Internet connection is included in the rent for the accomondation... right?
    Is it down often or is it always working?
    how about FTP transfers? and whats the upload like?

cheers... looking forward to using internet over there now...

ReputationRep:
    uptime is about 80%. When it goes down EVERYONE complains so it usually goes up quickly again.

I dont use FTP much apart from uploading to my webhost, get about 100kb\s then

its included in the rent, but rents went up by about £5 per week when they fitted it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynox)
    uptime is about 80%. When it goes down EVERYONE complains so it usually goes up quickly again.

I dont use FTP much apart from uploading to my webhost, get about 100kb\s then

its included in the rent, but rents went up by about £5 per week when they fitted it
    I suppose at that speed 80% uptime will do

Looks like the perfect internet connection... worth the extra £5 a week!!!

do they will complain if you download and upload 24/7 at high speeds?

Thanks for the info...

ReputationRep:
    nope

most stuff is on dc++ although a word of warning, the hub won't be there next year unless someone else on campus decides to run one as the guy whoes running it atm is graduating.

The pipe to your machine is 40mbit outside to the net and 100mbit inside.

they were going to install a commercial line for piazza (the name of the connection..) but it was too much so they use the JaNet connection instead.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.