Which university is better to study medicine: St andrews or Auckland ? Watch

H2O*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey everyone,
I'm an international student. I decided to study medicine, but I fall in a great hesitation. I don't know where to study! Indeed, I want you to advise me if I should study at St. Andrews university (UK) or Auckland university (NZ) ?

Thanks in advance.
taysidefrog
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is a UK student site. How are we supposed to advise you on NZ med schools? I worked as a doc in NZ for a year and it was a great year if very stressful. On the whole TSR is not great for advising students whether to choose uni x over uni y as most people have either experienced 0 unis as they're yet to go or just the one they went to unless they've done a masters and been to 2.
You'll have to read all the bumf visit them if poss and make your own mind up.
St Andrews has more golfers and American tourists and history, Aukland is warmer with lots of ships in the harbour.
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by H2O*)
Hey everyone,
I'm an international student. I decided to study medicine, but I fall in a great hesitation. I don't know where to study! Indeed, I want you to advise me if I should study at St. Andrews university (UK) or Auckland university (NZ)?
Thanks in advance.

:erm: *shrugs*
Thing is, noone here is going to have experience of undergrad medicine at both.
I'm at St Andrews, I love the course structure and the teaching, and I like the town and the societies I'm in; but I've got no idea what it's like to study med at Auckland so I cannot compare them for you.

I suggest you start by doing some research and compare things like course structure & content, teaching style (PBL, traditional or integrated), extent of clinical exposure early on, opportunity to intercalate; also location, fees, entrance requirements, etc. Think about what you want out of a course & what kind of area you want to live in, for example St Andrews is a very small town and a lot of people complain about the lack of nightlife, but the med school is friendly and has a community feel which makes you feel supported.

Visiting really is important if you can, you can't really tell from the website what it would really be like there.
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Most importantly its where do you want to live and practice? If its the UK then St Andrews, if its NZ then Auckland (make sure they let you practice there). If its your home country then its up to you. The two places could not be further apart on a map.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.6%
No (219)
94.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed