mzara
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
New girl here, not sure how this site works yet but I'm hoping someone can provide some sort of insight

So I'm going into 3rd year BSc Psychology, and my uni prefers group projects over individual dissertation projects. I've always felt dissertations should be individual and original, group projects kind of feels like cheating to me :/. Anyone done group dissertations before? If so, how was the experience?
Liv1204
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
At my undergraduate university, we did individual dissertations/projects but collecting data in pairs, if that makes sense. So I was paired up with one other girl, we used the same data for our projects, but she analysed the correlations between perfectionism and two variables, and I analysed the correlations between perfectionism and the other two variables. So it was individual - we wrote up our dissertations completely separately, nothing was done as a group/pair except the data collection, but it does make things easier than having 200 students all trying to collect data and send out surveys at once I guess.

Having said that, I much prefer doing it individually, I hate group projects. Have your uni given a reason as to why they prefer group projects?
mzara
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, thanks for replying!

I dislike group projects too. My Uni's reasons are pretty much what you've said - easier and quicker to gather data. But the thing is, supervisors provide a topic for research and 'employ' some students to gather data and discuss the topic further etc (but like you've said the write up is done individually), which is what I meant by it feels like cheating cuz we don't have to come up with project ideas this way :/ . I've been told a few supervisors are open to supervising individual work so I better start coming up with ideas of my own!

Can I ask, did you and the girl come up with your project topic yourselves and then decide to gather data together?
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mzara)
Hi, thanks for replying!

I dislike group projects too. My Uni's reasons are pretty much what you've said - easier and quicker to gather data. But the thing is, supervisors provide a topic for research and 'employ' some students to gather data and discuss the topic further etc (but like you've said the write up is done individually), which is what I meant by it feels like cheating cuz we don't have to come up with project ideas this way :/ . I've been told a few supervisors are open to supervising individual work so I better start coming up with ideas of my own!

Can I ask, did you and the girl come up with your project topic yourselves and then decide to gather data together?
Even if you take an idea from a supervisor you can often put your own stamp on the research if you read around the literature and suggest some things to add / change (although some supervisors may be more or less responsive to change... depending on the type of project it is).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (9)
12.86%
I need help researching courses (5)
7.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.71%
I need help with my personal statement (29)
41.43%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (18)
25.71%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.86%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.29%

Watched Threads