The Student Room Group

My mum's kicking me out.

Long story short.

My mother and I have always had a strained relationship - possibly literally from my birth. We've just never got on well for very long. I could genuinely write a book on how she has made my life difficult.

Now at 24, 25 in a couple months, if I'm honest I think we're both amazed that we've made it this far. Considering how many times she's kicked out or threatened to kick me out since my dad died.

So yesterday I came home to find a load of my stuff packed in black bags and my room basically trashed. This is the most extreme she has ever gone so it seems real now.

Anyway I know many at my age are very independent - I feel like a loser even making this thread. Thing is, I only graduated last year, I've got a job that basically gets me by, I haven't yet managed to attain a good graduate job that pays well unfortunately. And living in London rental prices so high... And I've spoken to a council and looked online and naturally I'm not considered a priority for housing support. It's not an ideal position to be in, but I suppose the struggle will toughen me up.

I guess I'm making this thread to vent and for just general advice. I imagine there are others that have been in similar positions.

Thanks
Reply 1
Sorry to hear that. Is there a relative you could stay with until you find a place to live? Perhaps speak to housing people and see whether they can help you out?
Original post by Anonymous
Long story short.

My mother and I have always had a strained relationship - possibly literally from my birth. We've just never got on well for very long. I could genuinely write a book on how she has made my life difficult.

Now at 24, 25 in a couple months, if I'm honest I think we're both amazed that we've made it this far. Considering how many times she's kicked out or threatened to kick me out since my dad died.

So yesterday I came home to find a load of my stuff packed in black bags and my room basically trashed. This is the most extreme she has ever gone so it seems real now.

Anyway I know many at my age are very independent - I feel like a loser even making this thread. Thing is, I only graduated last year, I've got a job that basically gets me by, I haven't yet managed to attain a good graduate job that pays well unfortunately. And living in London rental prices so high... And I've spoken to a council and looked online and naturally I'm not considered a priority for housing support. It's not an ideal position to be in, but I suppose the struggle will toughen me up.

I guess I'm making this thread to vent and for just general advice. I imagine there are others that have been in similar positions.

Thanks

Try a relative...or look to be a long term lodger till you can save and get a better job for your own place
Take great pride for the way you are handling it man. For whatever reason your mum made you leave, prove it to her that she made a terrible decision by your actions. I hope you scale to great heights.

The CEO of infosys who is regarded as one of top entrepreneur in the world always had 3 words. Respect Respect Respect.
Reply 4
Original post by GradMed15
Sorry to hear that. Is there a relative you could stay with until you find a place to live? Perhaps speak to housing people and see whether they can help you out?

Only blood relative in this country I have is my Aunt - and she'd never accept me as it would offend my mum, she was ostracised from the family for years because of my mum so understandably she wishes to steer clear of any conflict.
Reply 5
Only blood relative in this country I have is my Aunt - and she'd never accept me as it would offend my mum, she was ostracised from the family for years because of my mum so understandably she wishes to steer clear of any conflict.

Have you actually asked her? You may be surprised. If you are easy to live with I do not see why your aunt would care what your mother thinks - I certainly wouldn't care. Your mum's other family must be dead by now if your aunt is your only blood relative, so they certainly wouldn't care either. And if your aunt was "ostracised" by your mum, they probably have litte or no contact anyway. Ask her. Worst that can happen is she says no. Don't tell your mother where you have gone.
Long story short.

Thanks

I have been in this situation and it's not pleasant, but ultimately it is for the best. All you can do is wait for the council to provide you with housing ( I assume you have spoken to them about the situation) - but unfortunately it's not a very fast process. I recommend asking a close friend or even an acquaintance if they have anywhere you can stay until you get it sorted - because the streets are a last resort. There are also hostels but again I don't recommend them.
Since you have a job you could perhaps look for a houseshare or offer to pay friends/acquaintances to let you stay on the couch. It's not ideal but it's something.
Keep your head up,it does get better :smile:
As an afterthought, maybe you could try reasoning with your mum. Ask her if she will let you stay until you find a place of your own. She might say no, but it is worth a try.
spareroom.co.uk
My advice would be just get a council house until you get a better job/promotion or whatever so you can afford to rent and buy food and necessities etc. I'm only 18 but my mum threatens to kick me out every day (literally 10 minutes ago) I left home for 2 months over the Christmas period when I was 17 and only had a Christmas part time job, my auntie put me up but i wish she didn't as she was very patronising and felt like I owed her everything even though i had to pay her board, buy my own food, pay for transport to sixth form and even had to buy my own washing powder hahaha. But I moved back home just because i couldn't afford to live there any more as my job was temporary and I would be better off at home - right now the only thing getting me through living at home is that i'm moving to uni in 2 months. People often say just make up with your mum and they don't understand if they have a good relationship with theirs but i know its not that easy and ive tried so many times with my mum but i give up now and just cant wait to get out and move to uni!
Find a place somewhere cheap? In some areas you can rent for ~£300 a month.
That really sucks :/ I would say try your relative, you won't lose anything. But that all depends on where you are now, are you literally on the street? If yes, then as an emergency you can try to stay in a cheap hostel or ask someone that you know if you can pay them to stay on the couch or something until you find a long-term solution. Good luck!
Reply 12
I'm really sorry to say this I don't want to be rude but there are worse situations then being kicked out. I would say see this as a new freedom with persistence and determination hopefully you will get on your feet. It's definitely harder for single men, the law really does not care for single men they are not important in the laws eyes. Maybe if you have friends stay at there's for s while another option is to sort the troubles with your mother out , this sounds unlikely considering your history though. Good luck on your journey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending