Turn on thread page Beta

XcitingStuart's bucket list watch

ReputationRep:
    Here's my bucket list:
    Plain text; not started | In progress | Finished | Cancelled
    1. Start learning Arabic (MSA & some of a spoken dialect) and make adequate progress
    2. Start learning Russian and make adequate progress
    3. Continue making progress in German (emphasis on expanding vocabulary, improving listening and improving reading skills)
    4. Learn some Latin (maybe for terminology etc.)
    5. Learn basic phrases for 20 different languages (Reason linked.)
    6. Get & remain in touch with my German pen pal on-line or gain another
    7. Learn even more about English grammar (although I consider that one of my niches)
    8. Learn the basics of British Sign Language
    9. Start learning JavaScript C++
    10. Start learning HTML
    11. Learn the phonetic alphabet
    12. Learn shorthand
    13. Learn baby signing
    14. Learn the location of & name of most of the capital cities around the world
    15. Learn to draw the general world map from memory
    16. Start doing volunteer work
    17. Get a part time job
    18. Improve my CV (complementary to some of the stuff here)
    19. Get a better sleeping routine
    20. Start trying to attain a lithe body by exercising
    21. Meet up with friends (as an introvert)
    22. Learn how to style my ******hair (deliberate asterisks)
    23. Become more politically aware by firstly learning about the electoral system, and learning more about the major parties et cetera et cetera
    24. Watch Donnie Darco
    25. Finish reading Game of Thrones (more like start it, but I am still a bit of the way through.)
    26. Become very familiar with logical fallacies (so I can sum up my arguments in a mere few words and spam them to some people on TSR)
    27. Play some chess (& get better)
    28. Learn to/improve my speed reading
    29. Learn complementary medicine
    30. Learn CPR & first aid
    31. Sign up to on line banking
    32. Learn to judge metric units by instinct (Don't even have a measuring tape; I think it was lost in the recesses of hell, or a sibling's room, or something.)
    33. Learn basic stretches
    34. Learn how to circular breath
    35. Learn how to do massages
    36. Learn to flip a pen around thumb
    37. Learn to fold shirts the Japanese way
    38. Learn to juggle (I have no good things to juggle with; there are these balls I have, filled with water, but they'll be far too heavy and loud if they are dropped.)
    39. Learn to lucid dream
    40. Learn how to make animal balloons (Have no balloons, let alone of the appropriate type, and am not going into the nearest shopping centre just to get some. And I am bankrupt.)
    41. Learn how to do different knots (Have no rope, nor am I buying any for the reasons above.)
    42. Learn how to make yourself cry easily
    43. Learn how to make many paper planes
    44. Learn how to do finger whistling
    45. Learn how to wrap a bandage
    46. Learn how to write calligraphy
    47. Gain some immunity by subjecting myself to bacteria etc. lel
    48. Eat cooked mushrooms? (Those vile things, that at least deserves to be one.)(+1 for liquorice.)(Reason linked.)
    49. Learn about picnics; about good things to go in them XD
    50. Learn cocktail mixtures, and how to mix & serve bar drinks
    51. Make a casserole, make a dessert from scratch, make a loaf of bread, make & decorate cupcakes, soufflé, bagels, pasta, sponge cakes, cookies, soups, spices (For some reason my edit here is deleted, so I'll repeat myself; I should have clarified that I wasn't planning to do all of these, as opposed to these just being ideas to improve cooking, and just doing a few of them. I did in no way expect from the very beginning that I could do all of them.)
    52. Learn about juicing & smoothies
    53. Wine
    54. Pairing food & wine
    55. Nutrition
    56. Food allergies
    57. Etiquette (God I need that)
    58. Food styling & photography
    59. Indoor grilling
    60. Vegan & vegetarian cooking
    61. Plant a seed
    62. Learn how to save seeds from fruits
    63. Learn how to select good produce
    64. Keep a journal
    This'll keep me busy, even if I can't finish all of them XDD

Notable edit on Tuesday 25/08/2015: Added "Cancelled" category, for ones I can't, or won't complete.

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 11/07/2015

I have learnt the Arabic alphabet in all of their independent positions, and many (maybe a questionable word to use) of them in their initial, medial and final positions. I also know how to pronounce them (although without the impeccable native accent of course.) The initial, medial and final positions should be completed by tomorrow.

I haven't learnt any new German words unfortunately; I got a bit distracted by YouTube videos and of such. I was able to review some learnt in the early hours in the morning (I stayed up late.)

Here's some evidence for me recognising them. I couldn't find any tests for the positions though, so this will have to suffice.

Name:  2015-07-11-230212_1280x800_scrot.png
Views: 145
Size:  281.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    Sunday 12/07/15

I have learnt the rest of the Arabic script (more specifically, the rest of the positions of all the letters and how to write them). I have also learnt the phonetic alphabet (using the first table on the right in this link as my source), and started making the notes to learn all locations & names of the capital cities around the world. For the capital cities, I am using the table in this link as the source.

Evidence for the phonetic alphabet:

In this post

I done two minutes worth of revision in German, but I started watching marvel videos again :P. I later learnt five new German words in another two minutes of my time.

An email, half in German & half in English, has been just sent to my pen pal. Obviously there's no reply yet. Nothing has been achieved yet so I have highlighted the aim orange, showing it's in progress. I originally found this pen pal through the medium of eTandem, but we stopped talking ages ago.

Evidence for trying to contact my pen pal:

In this post

Overall, it's been a very unproductive day, but it is at least better than nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Evidence for phonetic alphabet:

Name:  2015-07-12-231225_1280x800_scrot.png
Views: 133
Size:  109.6 KB

Evidence for trying to contact my pen pal:

Attachment 441337441339
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Monday 13/07/2015

I haven't started to try get a better sleeping routine (well I did for one day, but last night destroyed any progress.)

Around lunch time, my pen pal emailed back and I wrote a short essay in response :-P. I expanded upon some things I said in my initial email, and inquired to some things she said, again half in German and half in English. I might get some evidence of my reply once I'm on a computer, erasing any personal stuff. I can officially tick that off my list (metaphorically speaking), but I'll keep people updated.

Click here! for the evidence!

I've started making notes for learning the majority of logical fallacies, using this link as the initial source. I do need to do further research for many of them. :-P

I started learning how to circular breath, when I was bored of making notes. Didn't do that for very long, but made progress nonetheless.

I learnt three more German words disappointingly; during the year under pressure to work I done plenty, but I just can't seem to get back into it yet; I give up after two minutes.

Overall yet another unproductive day, but I'm starting to assimilate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)

Around lunch time, my pen pal emailed back and I wrote a short essay in response :-P. I expanded upon some things I said in my initial email, and inquired to some things she said, again half in German and half in English. I might get some evidence of my reply once I'm on a computer, erasing any personal stuff. I can officially tick that off my list (metaphorically speaking), but I'll keep people updated.

I learnt three more German words disappointingly; during the year under pressure to work I done plenty, but I just can't seem to get back into it yet; I give up after two minutes.
    C'mon! German is great (I studied it at A Level and most people seem to hate it but I love it)! Why don't you do Quizlet or watch a film in German e.g. I have Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix auf Deutsch, and you can buy German stuff on Amazon using your amazon.co.uk account. German is fun! But if you just can't find the enthusiasm, do something else to make it fun Also how did you make your pen pal?

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 14/07/2015
    Volunteer work
    I've taken the initiative to start volunteer work; I went to do-it.org (I think it's that), found the vacancies closest to me and chose a vacancy from the British Red Cross as it focuses on global crisis, rather than Barnardo's, which exclusively aids the UK by focusing on child abuse; it resonated more with me. It's not that I care less about child abuse, but I think the British Red Cross focuses on the bigger picture. One has to apply via their own website redcross.org, so I searched up the vacancy I saw earlier and eventually created an account. Afterwards I filled out most of the application. All I have left to do is to get two references, one of whom I'm contacting tomorrow, but the other is still undecided.

Evidence is in this post

Logical fallacies
    For a bit, I carried on making notes for all the logical fallacies said on the aforementioned wiki page. One truly baffled me, and it is painful thinking about it (embellished here; should say "was"; I've gotten over it since). It was called "the fallacy of exclusive premises". I arrived to the conclusion that it's stating the obvious and over-complicating the issue, but I can't help but think there has to be more to it than that.

Flipping pen around thumb
    I started learning this, and done a bit of practice. It's hard to catch the pen after it spins (I think that's going to take forever just to do the first one, although I didn't try that many times.)

Better sleeping routine
    After this post, I'm going to check some messages, brush teeth and go to bed. I'll probably lie awake for ages (just like what happened when I tried to go to bed at two o'clock instead of at four two nights ago (I think), only worse.)

Then I'll wake up earlier. I may also start recording my sleeping times/waking times. I find that if I wake up late, I feel like I've already wasted the day and won't do anything, so it's time to change that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legache)
    C'mon! German is great (I studied it at A Level and most people seem to hate it but I love it)! Why don't you do Quizlet or watch a film in German e.g. I have Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix auf Deutsch, and you can buy German stuff on Amazon using your amazon.co.uk account. German is fun! But if you just can't find the enthusiasm, do something else to make it fun Also how did you make your pen pal?
    Thanks for reply! I love German (well mainly grammar) but I just find it really hard to learn anything when I'm not under pressure to do it (like for exams). I've been meaning to watch a film auf Deutsch :-P but I never seem to get around to it. Ok, I'll watch the avengers auf Deutsch tomorrow, as I've already seen it, so it won't be that hard to follow.

I made my pen pal by going onto a website called eTandem, then you have to make an application form (a very easy part to do). Then I and soon-to-be pen pal got each others email address. I think you can do mobile numbers instead (a variety of things actually), but it was ages ago since I made an application, so I can't really remember the process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow you have a lot on your list!
    And I thought mine was long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lissy14)
    Wow you have a lot on your list!
    And I thought mine was long
    I saw someone with like 100, I think; I wanted to compete.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for reply! I love German (well mainly grammar) but I just find it really hard to learn anything when I'm not under pressure to do it (like for exams). I've been meaning to watch a film auf Deutsch :-P but I never seem to get around to it. Ok, I'll watch the avengers auf Deutsch tomorrow, as I've already seen it, so it won't be that hard to follow.

I made my pen pal by going onto a website called eTandem, then you have to make an application form (a very easy part to do). Then I and soon-to-be pen pal got each others email address. I think you can do mobile numbers instead (a variety of things actually), but it was ages ago since I made an application, so I can't really remember the process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cool, thanks. I will deffo give eTandem a go. I've been meaning to get a pen pal for ages!!
    Yes I understand about the pressure thing. I was given an unconditional offer from one university and as soon as I received it, I found that I just wasn't working as well as I had done under pressure. I rejected it as it wasn't my favourite university and worked harder as a result of being under way more pressure. However I do feel that learning languages is fun rather than a chore. In my opinion, it's way easier to study languages when you're not under pressure compared to studying something else, say chemistry, for fun.
    I think films are one of the best ways to casually learn vocab. Even though you don't really get the chance to look up every single word (if you have both German speech and subtitles rather than German speech and Engish subs), you still pick things up aIong the way as they repeat lots of words. I also have Great Gatsby in German so that was helpful at AS; I could watch the film in German and revise for English Lit at the same time!
    Plus watching films are always fun (especially ones which have Iron Man and Hulk in!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legache)
    Cool, thanks. I will deffo give eTandem a go. I've been meaning to get a pen pal for ages!!
    Yes I understand about the pressure thing. I was given an unconditional offer from one university and as soon as I received it, I found that I just wasn't working as well as I had done under pressure. I rejected it as it wasn't my favourite university and worked harder as a result of being under way more pressure. However I do feel that learning languages is fun rather than a chore. In my opinion, it's way easier to study languages when you're not under pressure compared to studying something else, say chemistry, for fun.
    I think films are one of the best ways to casually learn vocab. Even though you don't really get the chance to look up every single word (if you have both German speech and subtitles rather than German speech and Engish subs), you still pick things up aIong the way as they repeat lots of words. I also have Great Gatsby in German so that was helpful at AS; I could watch the film in German and revise for English Lit at the same time!
    Plus watching films are always fun (especially ones which have Iron Man and Hulk in!)
    Do you reckon it's better to note down the words you hear, and the most, or only some?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Evidence for searching for a vacancy on do-it.org

Name:  2015-07-14-225431_1280x800_scrot.png
Views: 108
Size:  200.6 KB

Evidence for application for volunteering on redcross.org

Attachment 442139442141
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 15/07/2015

I sent an email to someone requesting if I can put them down as one of my two references.

I flipped a pencil (whose nib I broke by accidentally dropping it onto the floor one too many times :ashamed2:; a pencil that I have been savouring for some reason) around my thumb twice successfully, on two separate occasions.

I planned to watch the Avengers in German, but couldn't find the DVD case (a sibling's doing, and I know whom, but I won't play the blame game) so I then chose IRobot or Underworld, the first one. Neither had it in German, only having it in English.

I then tried out many other movies, many of which having it in languages such as Icelandic, Polish, Czech, French et cetera et cetera; some having nine different languages, but only two had it in German. Later throughout the search of movies in German I thought it would say on back cover, which was true, so some time was saved. The two movies were Batman Begins and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Have to admit it was surprising; I thought most movies would be in foreign languages such as German, probably because my old German teacher gave me that impression. I suppose they don't sell it in major languages such as those here to increase profits, and to decrease piracy. But I might be wrong.

Even the translations available in a box set of Harry Potter weren't consistent; progressively speaking there was initially Arabic subtitles, then German dubbing (or re-voicing), Hebrew dubbing, Hungarian dubbing and Russian & Ukrainian dubbing together.

Even a movie called "Munich" wasn't in German, even though it was bought especially for that purpose, after I heard about it at secondary school, where my old teacher had it with translations in German.

I watched about half of Batman Begins on both German dub and sub, writing down the words I didn't know or wasn't sure of but didn't pause for any words I missed. I guessed a few of them from context, or extrapolations of some words I already knew.

ReputationRep:
    Do you reckon it's better to note down the words you hear, and the most, or only some?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Normally I wouldn't really note down any if I'm not in the mood and just want to watch the film. You can pick up stuff without writing the words down.
    Sometimes I've written down every word I didn't know but often that means you miss out on the flow of the film and it becomes more of a chore to learn German. I'd write down only some of the words you don't know including ones you find particularly interesting and the ones that are repeated a lot.
    Obviously it is best if you get as many new words down as possible. Maybe make a few short lists and watch the film in segments rather than all the way through, then you can learn vocab as you go and it's less daunting than having one ginormous list.

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 16/07/2015

The person whom I asked if I could put down as a reference said yes.

I started translating and doing further research on the new words I came across in the Batman Begins in German. So many new words are going to be learnt soon, and paper dictionaries are so much better than on-line ones, as you can a lot more easily find their word family.

But then I went on a dog walk, had a shower and then have been arguing since on mostly this thread and this thread, both made by me. I started creating the threads at 8:00 pm, waited a bit, posted them and have been arguing since (from about 8:45 pm I think).

ReputationRep:
    Friday 17/07/2015

I've done far more German (there's quite a lot of words related to just one word, words in the same meaning-based word family) but have been on TSR for most of the day; I should get off it.

My sleeping's been awful for the last two days :mad: I've figured it's because I put new sheets on, but I think my dog must have slept on them or something when they were temporarily on the couch, because I keep getting fur in my nose and mouth (she's learnt how to open doors, and push them open despite a chair being on the other side; very devious). I've woke up in both my sleeps (can't think of a better word) the last two nights. They're going back into the wash. It genuinely has been awful getting to sleep.

Hopefully a better start tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The graph is now here! (after all the mess of this post .) :rock:

These will be updated
    I'll properly sort out what this all means another time, when I'm on a computer.

The night of...
    Saturday 11th I don't know where this one's gone? I thought I did it, perhaps I never.
    Sunday 12th 2:00am - 8:30am8:45am - 1:15pm
    Monday 13th 4:00am - 11:30am
    Tuesday 14th 2:00am - 12:30am
    Wednesday 15th - 2:00am - 5:45am on & off 7:30am - 1:25pm
    Thursday 16th 5:00am - 8:00am8:10am - 1:15pm
    Friday 17th 12:00am turning off straight after I post this - 5:45am5:50am - 9:30am9:35am - 11:30am
    Saturday 18th Went to bed at 1:00am, had a long stomach cramp, was definitely still awake at 2:00am, probably awake until about 2:30am, woke at like 12 midday, missing 8:00am alarm.
    Sunday 19th 12:10 am 2:00am 4:00am 8:30am went back to sleep to finish dream 11:30am lied in bed thinking about a nightmare, an unusual one, I had 12:00pm
    Monday 20th 4:10am 8:30am 11:30am lied in bed 12:20pm
    Tuesday 21st 2:00am (guess) - 12:00pm (guess)
    Wednesday 22nd 5:30am - 1:00pm
    Thursday 23rd 2:00am (I think) - 11:00am
    Friday 24th 2:00am (I think) - 9:30am
    Saturday 25th 2:00am (I think) -10:30am - 1:15pm (abouts)
    Sunday 26th 5:45am - 10:00am - 12:30am
    Monday 27th 3:50am - 10:50am - 1:45pm
    Tuesday 28th 5:40am - 12:00pm - 1:30pm
    Wednesday 29th 5:30am - 12:00pm (abouts) - 1:55pm
    Thursday 30th 4:30am (abouts) - 9:30am - (on & off till) 11:10am
    Friday 31st 5:30am - 2:00pm (abouts)
    Saturday 1st 6:00am (couldn't get to sleep for about 10 minutes) - 12:00pm - 1:00pm
    Sunday 2nd 5:45am - 1:55pm
    Monday 3rd 6:10am - 1:00pm (abouts I think)
    Tuesday 4th 6:40am - 1:36pm
    Wednesday 5th 6:40am - 1:15pm - 2:00pm (abouts)
    Thursday 6th 6:30am - 1:45pm
    Friday 7th 11:40pm (still awake at 00:15am because brother kept me up) - 8:15am (abouts) - 1:00pm (lied in till 1:30pm)
    Saturday 8th 6:30am (I think, give or take 20 minutes) - 1:00pm - 2:55pm
    Sunday 9th 6:30am (abouts) - 1:55pm
    Monday 10th 5:30am - 2:00pm (abouts as well)
    Tuesday 11th 8:48pm - 10:30pm updated TSR etc. 4:30am - 10:30am - (had to lie in for certian reasons) 11:00am il
    Wednesday 12th (mein Geburtstag) 2:30am (though took quite a while to get asleep) - 6:00am (time to get up to get ready to go to college to pick up results)
    Thursday 13th 6:00am - 2:00pm (abouts)
    Friday 14th 6:55am - 12:30pm
    Saturday 15th 4:15am - 9:40am
    Sunday 16th 3:20am (I think, maybe delete "I think" at a future date) - 7:30am
    Monday 17th 4:15am - 10:15am
    Tuesday 18th 2:30am - 11:10am
    Wednesday 19th 00:30 (Give or take 15 minutes, I reckon 12:20am) - 2:00 - 4:00 - 10:40am
    Thursday 20th 2:55am - 10:15am il
    Friday 21st 4:20am - 10:00am
    Saturday 22nd 2:31am - 10:25am il
    Sunday 23rd 4:10am - 10:40am il
    Monday 24th 7:25am - 1:30pm (I think? with a few wake ups in between)(Tues)day back on coach
    Tuesday 25th 4:58am - 11:15am (abouts) il
    Wednesday 26th (around, predicted) 3:00am - 10:30am il
    Thursday 27th 3:05am - 10:24am
    END OF COMPETITION

The graph is now here! (after all the mess of this post .) :rock:

The ones not in bold are slightly predicted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 18/07/2015

It was going to be nothing if I luckily didn't start doing more exercise.
    I initially created this thread for responses on how to start, despite the question in the thread title being butchered.
    I went out for mainly brisk walk (a bit of a run at the beginning) starting from 9:42pm to 10:58pm.

Week #1 of the challenge for me is complete.
    Initially very good, I think, but my work ethic started to decline towards the end of the week (let's blame TSR for that, nee?)
    Let's hope to have a more consistent effort next week.

PS I'm going to get up at 8:00am tomorrow to go on a brisk walk/run on a set route!

ReputationRep:
    Sunday 19/07/2015

Missed my alarm due to interrupted sleep ; stomach cramps, of all things, the night before.
    Then doing a major house clean for relatives expected in a few days.
    Also I've been trying to fix my laptop (well, the laptop I use), which hasn't been successful, so I've only really had my tablet to access TSR, which sucks.
    I also had a shower.

This pushed my scheduled run up past 5:00pm; I got out at 5:22pm bringing a bottle of water, done a brisk walk to the predetermined field arriving at 5:45pm, jogged around it with three breaks (3, 3 & 5 mins I think) until 6:15pm, got back at 6:45pm, after a small detour to the shop for my brother for a thing which they ran out of.

Admittedly, my eyes also took a detour when running/doing laps around the field; there was a shirtless man on the field, and oh damn was he attractive (well abs were anyway, all tanned, and hairy to a nice degree.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.