The Student Room Group

Not enough paperwork to prove eligibility to work, McDonald's interview

Hi, so basically I'm 18 and I've got a job interview at a busy McDonald's next Tuesday.
The issue is that I'll need to take some form of proof that I'm eligible to work in the UK should I get the job, and I don't necessarily have enough of that proof.
I don't own a passport as I've never really had to leave the UK or use one at all. The only option I seem to have is showing my birth certificate along with a National Insurance Letter that has my name and NIN on it. A birth certificate isn't a problem as I have that, but I've moved house a couple of times since I turned 16 and lost my national insurance letter in the process, which didn't bother me too much because I knew my number. Trouble is I'm afraid I won't get the job if I can't show enough paperwork, and although I've applied for a nee letter online it could take a few weeks to get here.

So I suppose my question is, how should I approach this situation when it comes to the interview, do you think it will matter too much? The only other forms of ID I even have are my college card and similar things but I really doubt they'd cut it. I've got exam certificates but I think they're useless in this situation.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you have lost your NI You can just ask them to send you another one. This is what my sister did because she didn't have enough proof to set up a bank account. If you tell Mcdonalds this then they may say that's fine and ask you to give them the proof before your first paycheck.
Original post by Hevachan
If you have lost your NI You can just ask them to send you another one. This is what my sister did because she didn't have enough proof to set up a bank account. If you tell Mcdonalds this then they may say that's fine and ask you to give them the proof before your first paycheck.

Mcdoanlds aint gonna hire someone without seeing an document from HMRC with the applicant's NINO. No number,no start.
Have you got an old wageslip? That will have your national insurance number on it. NI cards don't exist anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your birth certificate is enough to prove eligibility but McDonald's will require an NI number before they can pay you. A wage slip is usually not accepted as they're seen as too easy to forge... An official tax document (hmrc) is usually necessary. P60/end of year summary should do it.

(I used to work at McDonald's!... It's ok, but read that crew handbook cover to cover and know your rights. They WILL exploit everything they can!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ltaylor1987
Your birth certificate is enough to prove eligibility but McDonald's will require an NI number before they can pay you. A wage slip is usually not accepted as they're seen as too easy to forge... An official tax document (hmrc) is usually necessary. P60/end of year summary should do it.

(I used to work at McDonald's!... It's ok, but read that crew handbook cover to cover and know your rights. They WILL exploit everything they can!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did they try to exploit you?
Original post by Aldeadrid
Hi, so basically I'm 18 and I've got a job interview at a busy McDonald's next Tuesday.
The issue is that I'll need to take some form of proof that I'm eligible to work in the UK should I get the job, and I don't necessarily have enough of that proof.
I don't own a passport as I've never really had to leave the UK or use one at all. The only option I seem to have is showing my birth certificate along with a National Insurance Letter that has my name and NIN on it. A birth certificate isn't a problem as I have that, but I've moved house a couple of times since I turned 16 and lost my national insurance letter in the process, which didn't bother me too much because I knew my number. Trouble is I'm afraid I won't get the job if I can't show enough paperwork, and although I've applied for a nee letter online it could take a few weeks to get here.

So I suppose my question is, how should I approach this situation when it comes to the interview, do you think it will matter too much? The only other forms of ID I even have are my college card and similar things but I really doubt they'd cut it. I've got exam certificates but I think they're useless in this situation.

I work in McDonalds. This shouldn't be a problem. Just take your birth certificate alone and your NI number written down and tell them that you've sent for a paper NI document and its worth sending for a passport too x
Original post by ltaylor1987

Posted from TSR Mobile

I work in McDonald's now and they don't exploit you in any way.

A pay slip works fine.
Original post by Emma:-)
How did they try to exploit you?

More like they expected me to exploit my own staff... You see a lot more as a manager, It's why I left.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Harri2648
I work in McDonalds. This shouldn't be a problem. Just take your birth certificate alone and your NI number written down and tell them that you've sent for a paper NI document and its worth sending for a passport too x

You've given me the most hope so far, thanks! XD
Thanks to everyone else too, just awaiting a new national insurance letter and I'll present my birth certificate while explaining the situation to the interviewer.
If anyone has any tips about the interview that they could share, that'd be awesome!
Original post by Aldeadrid
You've given me the most hope so far, thanks! XD
Thanks to everyone else too, just awaiting a new national insurance letter and I'll present my birth certificate while explaining the situation to the interviewer.
If anyone has any tips about the interview that they could share, that'd be awesome!

Just be yourself and seem enthusiastic x
Did you get it? Im in the same boat atm
Did you get it?
Reply 13
Hi I have an interview on Monday at McDonald's and I have nothing to show because I don't live with both my parents and it's hard to get stuff of my mum and I'm 16 by the way what am I ment to do
Original post by Cloe16
Hi I have an interview on Monday at McDonald's and I have nothing to show because I don't live with both my parents and it's hard to get stuff of my mum and I'm 16 by the way what am I ment to do

How did it go? I have an interview tomorrow but I can’t go because I have no national insurance number. I even called and they said I couldn’t go to the interview whithout it. I don’t know what to do now
Original post by Fossy132
How did it go? I have an interview tomorrow but I can’t go because I have no national insurance number. I even called and they said I couldn’t go to the interview whithout it. I don’t know what to do now

Follow this process and ask to reschedule the interview when you’ve got your NI number.

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number
Original post by Admit-One
Follow this process and ask to reschedule the interview when you’ve got your NI number.

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

Do you think they would reschedule after 15 working days?😔
Original post by Fossy132
Do you think they would reschedule after 15 working days?😔

I can't say but if they won't interview you without an NI number, all you can do is ask. Just explain your circumstances and that you are the process of confirming your number.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending