The Student Room Group

Convincing parents to move out for uni??

This is probably the most frustrating thing that's been bothering me lately. My dad being a muslim hasnt helped my cause because he believes that a woman shouldnt leave home until marriage! sexist much? And whenever I try and have a civilised conversation with him about the possibility of moving out he just gets angry and it makes me wanna move out even more.

Another thing is that I'm applying for Sheffield, but I also live in Sheffield. In fact, the student union is only 40 minutes away, if you travel by bus. So if I choose to stay then I dont know any valid reasons as to why I should move out.

My relationship with my parents arent that good because theyre always at work but whenever they're there I feel so suffocated. I just want my own space and experience something new. I love sheffield and its most likely gonna be my first choice so any advice woul be helpful.

Scroll to see replies

Have you considered applying as an independent student you'll get a basic rate but it should cover rent you might need a job and most city's have a lot for students you could even work at the SU

If you do run into financial difficulty the uni student services and SU can and will help if they can with things like hardship funds and things hope I helped if not there are more drastic measures you can take but if you need them you'll need to PM me. Any way good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jonathanemptage
Have you considered applying as an independent student you'll get a basic rate but it should cover rent you might need a job and most city's have a lot for students you could even work at the SU

If you do run into financial difficulty the uni student services and SU can and will help if they can with things like hardship funds and things hope I helped if not there are more drastic measures you can take but if you need them you'll need to PM me. Any way good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah okay, that sounds like a really good idea. How should i go about talking to them about it though?
I think that you may have to make a decision without your parents consent, and just tell them that this is what I have decided. You don't need their help in any of the application process and as soon as they know you are serious then they will start to make the decision seriously. I had a friend in a similar situation and when she did move out to university she never moved back, she said it was the most liberating experience! Good luck :smile:
Original post by shanaj
ah okay, that sounds like a really good idea. How should i go about talking to them about it though?

You don't that's the whole point they won't change so to quote Nike just do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
If you want to leave home, you need to leave Sheffield its a good uni but there are plenty of others in the area like Leeds, Nottingham and Manchester if you don't want to be too far.

I used to live in Sheffield but went to Manchester because I wanted to spread my wings.
I'm Muslim and female and am off to University in leeds in September and I live 70 miles away. The difference between my parents and yours is that although culture is important to them, education is on the highest shelf of them all. You could try explaining to them using what my parents told me, "Everyone has to live their own lives one day and God forgive nothing happens in your future marriage but you need to have something to fall back on. Independence and Education so that you can stand on your own two feet".
Original post by Maker
If you want to leave home, you need to leave Sheffield its a good uni but there are plenty of others in the area like Leeds, Nottingham and Manchester if you don't want to be too far.

I used to live in Sheffield but went to Manchester because I wanted to spread my wings.

I agree with this if you say I. Sheffield your Mum and dad could find a way of making you stay at home like picking you up from uni's soon as you finish your lessons or somthing harsh like that ask Dad what exactly are you going to do if I do move out?
Reply 8
Leave sheffield
Reply 9
You don't that's the whole point they won't change so to quote Nike just do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

idk how thats gonna go down but :clap2:
Reply 10
Original post by BabyChow
I'm Muslim and female and am off to University in leeds in September and I live 70 miles away. The difference between my parents and yours is that although culture is important to them, education is on the highest shelf of them all. You could try explaining to them using what my parents told me, "Everyone has to live their own lives one day and God forgive nothing happens in your future marriage but you need to have something to fall back on. Independence and Education so that you can stand on your own two feet".

im not the religious type so i think one of the concerns is that i'll go a bit rogue lol

but yeah I need a way to tell them that I need to be fully independent now
Reply 11
Original post by Maker

I was actually considering moving to manchester or newcastle because i loved the atmosphere over there but i also love sheffield. And apparently the living costs are so much cheaper here.
What your Dad seems to fail to appreciate is he decided to bring you up here you will obviously have some British traits this is not a Muslim country and he would do well to relies we and you as second generation can and do have very different values

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a Muslim mate and he would drink smoke take drugs he got a few tattoos an by the end of uni he was even eating pork. He was not what you would call a good Muslim.
Reply 14
What your Dad seems to fail to appreciate is he decided to bring you up here you will obviously have some British traits this is not a Muslim country and he would do well to relies we and you as second generation can and do have very different values

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was raised as a christian because my dad worked abroad and, with my mum being a christian, i always went to church before he insisted that we became a muslim. He doesnt seem to get that you cant just force people into believing what he likes and conforming them into that way of living, hence why i really wanna move out
Reply 15
Original post by New- Emperor
I had a Muslim mate and he would drink smoke take drugs he got a few tattoos an by the end of uni he was even eating pork. He was not what you would call a good Muslim.

I dont think you would call him a muslim at all lol
Lol probley not let's say it was his heritage yes that fit's
Original post by shanaj
This is probably the most frustrating thing that's been bothering me lately. My dad being a muslim hasnt helped my cause because he believes that a woman shouldnt leave home until marriage! sexist much? And whenever I try and have a civilised conversation with him about the possibility of moving out he just gets angry and it makes me wanna move out even more.

Another thing is that I'm applying for Sheffield, but I also live in Sheffield. In fact, the student union is only 40 minutes away, if you travel by bus. So if I choose to stay then I dont know any valid reasons as to why I should move out.

My relationship with my parents arent that good because theyre always at work but whenever they're there I feel so suffocated. I just want my own space and experience something new. I love sheffield and its most likely gonna be my first choice so any advice woul be helpful.

Not sure any of this justifies your attempts to convince your parents to move out of their own home, just so that you can get the space you want.

Bit selfish, if you ask me.
Original post by Smonnie
Not sure any of this justifies your attempts to convince your parents to move out of their own home, just so that you can get the space you want.

Bit selfish, if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure she means she wants to move out in to halls

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty sure she means she wants to move out in to halls

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, thank you for your help there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending