Which college/exam board for Chemistry A level? Watch

hael468
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm torn between two different colleges. I will be taking chemistry a level and the two colleges do it with different exam boards...

One is OCR b salters and the other is AQA

I've heard horror stories about ocr salters and the teachers specifically say its context based compared to other exam boards. I do much better with topic based study rather than context.

So from other peoples knowledge, should I go to the college doing aqa or ocr salters? Thanks xx
Judge Jasel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
To my knowledge, I've only ever done AQA for Chemistry A-Level, so this might not be the best advice. From what you've said and from what I've heard, OCR has the same course content as any exam board, but they are rather heavy on the context of it all, with a focus on current-ish issues to do with chemistry. Honestly, that has it's advantages as well as it's disadvantages. It helps to be able to relate to everyday chemistry-related problems especially if straight chemistry was your thing, and the uni you want to apply for requests for an interview.

But other than that, AQA is the way to go. It balances how science works with the theory of it all, and anything else can be researched in your own free time really. Especially since you're better off doing topic-based studies, AQA may well be your best bet. But, it is up to you. We can't decide for everyone.

hope it helps.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hael468)
I'm torn between two different colleges. I will be taking chemistry a level and the two colleges do it with different exam boards...

I've heard horror stories about ocr salters and the teachers specifically say its context based compared to other exam boards. I do much better with topic based study rather than context.

So from other peoples knowledge, should I go to the college doing aqa or ocr salters? Thanks xx
Quite honestly, I don't think this is a particularly good factor to base your college decision on. Surely there are more important things, like how good their facilities are and how close they are to your home? I did AQA Chemistry but I also used OCR B resources and past papers because my school used to do it before AQA. I personally think it looks a lot more interesting than the AQA spec and the coursework in particular looks great (I did OCR B for Physics and whilst the course is a bit weird, the coursework was a lot of fun and genuinely felt like science). OCR B is more context-based but I really doubt it will make a world of a difference. As long as you're taught well, you will be absolutely fine.
thenextchemist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Salters is rubbish

I did AQA
And people from other sixth forms who did salters moved to our sixth form because it was that bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

A level Chemistry specifications are changing from September and you will be taking a new specification no one has any experience of so their advice is of limited use.
samuel230a
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'll be doing OCR A or B 'salters' next year depending on where I go. From September 2015 the content & exams are completely changing. From all the Salter horror stories i've heard they're all about the coursework module which everyone seemed to hate but from 2015 this has been removed and replaced with the "practical endorsement" which is basically where your teacher sets you (i think) 10 practical tasks across the 2 years and puts a ticks of the skills you used like "you can use a bunsen burner" my teacher says your basically guaranteed to pass and it doesn't actually contribute to the A-level it is displayed seperatrly on the certificate as a Pass/Fail

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (42)
13.64%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (26)
8.44%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (62)
20.13%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (44)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (36)
11.69%
How can I be the best version of myself? (98)
31.82%

Watched Threads