The Student Room Group

Higher Chemistry 2015 - 2016

Well, we can discuss the content of course.

I haven't done chemistry since 4th year so i'm kinda still catching up on the required knowledge for higher!

If you have any tips or tricks please go ahead and tell me!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Higherdude
Well, we can discuss the context of course.

I haven't done chemistry since 4th year so i'm kinda still catching up on the required knowledge for higher!

don't be part of the group that does every experiment wrong...like me lol
Reply 2
Original post by Higherdude
Well, we can discuss the context of course.

Is our course graded out of 120 marks!?!?!?
It's not too different or substantially harder than the 4th year chemistry course (int 2)...the topics are different and may take a little bit of time getting your head around at first compared with int 2...tips....hmm...get really comfortable with bonding and you should be alright....
Doing AH chem this year, I'll try to help out thought the year :smile:
Feels like only a little while since I was doing Higher Chemistry... but alas, I'm now going into my third year of uni :redface: I'll be on sometimes if anyone needs help
Original post by langlitz
Feels like only a little while since I was doing Higher Chemistry... but alas, I'm now going into my third year of uni :redface: I'll be on sometimes if anyone needs help

I am new to The Student Room and I would like some advice. I am a mature student, about to start college to study Higher Chemistry & Biology. I used to be a nurse and have my nursing degree ( 2004 I graduated). I really want to do my Bsc Forensic Science @ Abertay Uni and have spoken with the course leader. He says that I must get these 2 Highers at a B. I haven't done chemistry at school ( I am 36 so school was a good while ago). I've been teaching myself the Standard Grade stuff and so far finding it okay and I'm doing better than I expected.
I would really appreciate any advice on what I must know, learn etc before starting. I've been using a S Grade textbook, Leckie & Leckie Study Guides.
I was having a look at textbooks for the Higher, when I was in Waterstones the other day. One of the books ( in the author's introduction) basically said that Higher is much harder and even if you did well at S grade then don't think Higher will be as easy etc. I'm crapping myself!
Original post by whereisnic
I am new to The Student Room and I would like some advice. I am a mature student, about to start college to study Higher Chemistry & Biology. I used to be a nurse and have my nursing degree ( 2004 I graduated). I really want to do my Bsc Forensic Science @ Abertay Uni and have spoken with the course leader. He says that I must get these 2 Highers at a B. I haven't done chemistry at school ( I am 36 so school was a good while ago). I've been teaching myself the Standard Grade stuff and so far finding it okay and I'm doing better than I expected.
I would really appreciate any advice on what I must know, learn etc before starting. I've been using a S Grade textbook, Leckie & Leckie Study Guides.
I was having a look at textbooks for the Higher, when I was in Waterstones the other day. One of the books ( in the author's introduction) basically said that Higher is much harder and even if you did well at S grade then don't think Higher will be as easy etc. I'm crapping myself!

While it is true that higher is a big step up from standard grade, you really shouldn't struggle if you put in the time. Especially considering you already have a nursing degree then this should be straight forward for you to pick up.

I'd recommend making sure you are comfortable with:
Moles
Converting between moles and grams
Calculating volume/concentration
Different types of bonding
Intermolecular forces
Properties of solid/liquids/gases
Also brush up on your maths a bit

Feel free to PM me or quote me on here if you have questions about anything :smile:

Wait wait waaaait, lol, I would advise you to pick up some "National 5" textbooks as standard grades and int 2s have been phased out and replaced with the slightly trickier Nat 5s. These Nat 5s link up with the new higher courses better than the standard grade material so it would be worth a shout looking at them instead.
Sat Cfe Chemistry this year, with results coming soon i better watch what i say, however it was by far my most enjoyable exam! Fingers crossed that translates on the 4th lol! Don't sweat it guys, Chemistry is a fantastic subject that compared to other subjects, there really isnt that much in it! Check this years paper and im sure you will be relieved, Chemistry in a way is problem solving like the good old primary days and there is a lot of if this is this much, how much would that be? Fun course, not a lot of key information you need to imprint in your eye balls and a great thing to have!

If anyone needs help, hit me up throughout the year :biggrin: Inb4 i fail and im like for god sake, yeah for the note im not saying i am the chemistry god, just it was a nicer exam than the others i sat
Original post by Zain-A
Wait wait waaaait, lol, I would advise you to pick up some "National 5" textbooks as standard grades and int 2s have been phased out and replaced with the slightly trickier Nat 5s. These Nat 5s link up with the new higher courses better than the standard grade material so it would be worth a shout looking at them instead.

I contacted SQA for some advice and this is the reply I got: "The Standard grade & National qualifications hasn't changed that much in terms of content involved & it would depend on the level that you were studying the course at. CfE Higher is is on the same level as the old Higher so studying N5 or Credit S Grade would still have been a level below. I would advise you not to worry too much and ask that you speak to the college when you attend as they will be best placed to advise you and help going forward."
Original post by Zain-A
I wouldn't say nat 5 is trickier than standard grade. Same with the new higher vs old higher. From a chemistry standpoint the old versions were more rigorous. They don't even cover pH in the new higher, which is pretty weird
Original post by langlitz
I wouldn't say nat 5 is trickier than standard grade. Same with the new higher vs old higher. From a chemistry standpoint the old versions were more rigorous. They don't even cover pH in the new higher, which is pretty weird

I contacted SQA for some advice and this is the reply I got: "The Standard grade & National qualifications hasn't changed that much in terms of content involved & it would depend on the level that you were studying the course at. CfE Higher is is on the same level as the old Higher so studying N5 or Credit S Grade would still have been a level below. I would advise you not to worry too much and ask that you speak to the college when you attend as they will be best placed to advise you and help going forward."

Depends on the subject, I know for a fact National 5's are not on the same level as Standard Grade General, and the content is more similar to Credit or Int 2 level. Trust me, Nat 5s are comparable to SG but Nat 5s are the tricker course, mostly due to it including certain old higher topics and the assignment.

I only though to mention in for him to take a look at, but seeing as he already knows about nat 5s and has contacted the sqa its fine lol.
Original post by Zain-A
Depends on the subject, I know for a fact National 5's are not on the same level as Standard Grade General, and the content is more similar to Credit or Int 2 level. Trust me, Nat 5s are comparable to SG but Nat 5s are the tricker course, mostly due to it including certain old higher topics and the assignment.

National 5 is equivalent to SG Credit
National 4 is equivalent to SG General
There wasn't a mention in the post you were quoting about General level being equal to Nat 5?
Original post by greenladybird
National 5 is equivalent to SG Credit
National 4 is equivalent to SG General
There wasn't a mention in the post you were quoting about General level being equal to Nat 5?

Standard crade credit/int 2 is what we were told, and anyway who cares? If you read the whole thing you would see i was only trying to tell him standard grades are outdatted, which they are, so im not wrong. He can still use them to prepare for highers if he wants.
what was your grade for the preliminary?
Original post by samonfire
what was your grade for the preliminary?

If you are asking me, I got an A. Somewhere in the 80s percentage wise :smile:
Hi folks! Thank you for all your replies. I am a 'she', Nic, short for Nicola.
I am also doing Higher Biology. I did the S Grade, way back in High School ( 1994). I will be going to Edinburgh College, starting on the 24th August. While I am on here, can anyone recommend what I should swot up on in biology?
Good luck to all those who will be getting their exam results this Tuesday.
Hi folks! Thank you for all your replies. I am a 'she', Nic, short for Nicola.
I am also doing Higher Biology. I did the S Grade, way back in High School ( 1994). I will be going to Edinburgh College, starting on the 24th August. While I am on here, can anyone recommend what I should swot up on in biology?
Good luck to all those who will be getting their exam results this Tuesday.

Assuming you are doing the new higher bio? I did the old one last year and I've heard the new one is quite different. I think it focuses more on modern stuff like genetics but you would have to confirm that with someone. As long as you can read information from graphs and do simple calculations like averages and percentages the maths stuff is easy. The hardest part I found was wrapping my head around the genetics stuff. As long as you have a decent memory and take time to memorise the different cycles and things you should be fine.
Original post by Zain-A
Assuming you are doing the new higher bio? I did the old one last year and I've heard the new one is quite different. I think it focuses more on modern stuff like genetics but you would have to confirm that with someone. As long as you can read information from graphs and do simple calculations like averages and percentages the maths stuff is easy. The hardest part I found was wrapping my head around the genetics stuff. As long as you have a decent memory and take time to memorise the different cycles and things you should be fine.

I'm doing the new CfE Higher. It's going to be hard work as I need to get a B in both subject (Chemistry & Biology).

Quick Reply

Latest