Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

vector question watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A question gives the equations of 2 lines
    l1: r = i + 3j + 5k + lamda(i +2j - k)
    l2: r = 2i + 3j - 4k + mew(2i + j + 4k)

Ive already worked out that lamda is 1 and mew is 2 and that the lines are perpendicular

But now it says "the point P with x co-ordinate 3 lies on l1 and the point R with x co-ordinate 4 lies on the line l2" and I dont know how to put this information into the vectors so that I can find the area of the triange PQR.

Please help! Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    what's Q?

ReputationRep:
    Q is the point where the two lines intersect, worked it out earlier in the question to be (2,5,4)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzyj)

Ive already worked out that lamda is 1 and mew is 2 and that the lines are perpendicular

But now it says "the point P with x co-ordinate 3 lies on l1 and the point R with x co-ordinate 4 lies on the line l2" and I dont know how to put this information into the vectors so that I can find the area of the triange PQR.

Please help! Thanks x
    hm.. for some reason i get a different value of lambda :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzyj)

Please help! Thanks x
    work out the position vector of the point on line |1 when x=3,and the same for |2 when x=4.And u also have Q so then u can work out the area.
    And for |1 when x=3 then u know that 1+lambda=3.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.