What Uni courses can I do with my A-levels?

Watch
Emily Benett
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I really want to go to university but I have no idea what I want to do. I was considering Maths but I don't do further maths, unless I pick it up as an as next year and even then it's not ideal. Then I thought about doing psychology but it's looked down upon by alot of people and I don't like it as much as Maths.

I do Biology, Maths, Psychology and English language and literature but I'm dropping English as the subject didn't really suit me.

Any help would be appreciated
VannR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You should not go to university unless you are sure about what you want to do there. Take a year out, work, gain some life experience and in that time you will gain more knowledge about what you want from life, and you'll know what you want to do at university as a result.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Emily Benett)
I really want to go to university but I have no idea what I want to do. I was considering Maths but I don't do further maths, unless I pick it up as an as next year and even then it's not ideal. Then I thought about doing psychology but it's looked down upon by alot of people and I don't like it as much as Maths.

I do Biology, Maths, Psychology and English language and literature but I'm dropping English as the subject didn't really suit me.

Any help would be appreciated
you were put off psychology purely because of peoples thoughts or was there another reason? how about something like neuroscience?
I know there are some universities that would take you without FM if you got decent grades depends where you really want to go.
Emily Benett
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
you were put off psychology purely because of peoples thoughts or was there another reason? how about something like neuroscience?
I know there are some universities that would take you without FM if you got decent grades depends where you really want to go.
That and its hard to get a decent job after university without having studied it further. I also considered neuroscience but i noted that many people who studied it started of in a different degree, then moved on to it at masters whether that was through a biology degree or otherwise. But maybe i'm wrong
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That and its hard to get a decent job after university without having studied it further. I also considered neuroscience but i noted that many people who studied it started of in a different degree, then moved on to it at masters whether that was through a biology degree or otherwise. But maybe i'm wrong
i think with psychology it always depends on what your motivators are, its a good choice if you want to do something that helps people but if its a salary that will be your main motivator its possibly not the best option for you.
I think some universities offer integrated msci in neuroscience if you do want to go into neuroscience you d certainly meet the requirements with your chosen subjects if you drop english
Theres lot of other life science courses you could look into as well, although some would possibly want you to have chemistry.
Emily Benett
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
i think with psychology it always depends on what your motivators are, its a good choice if you want to do something that helps people but if its a salary that will be your main motivator its possibly not the best option for you.
I think some universities offer integrated msci in neuroscience if you do want to go into neuroscience you d certainly meet the requirements with your chosen subjects if you drop english
Theres lot of other life science courses you could look into as well, although some would possibly want you to have chemistry.
Salary isn't the main motivator, I really do enjoy the subject but it would be nice to know that I can put the degree to use in a job
ForeverFaith
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Psychology is a good choice but go with what you enjoy and whatever will benefit you most in the long term.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Salary isn't the main motivator, I really do enjoy the subject but it would be nice to know that I can put the degree to use in a job
how about going to some open days and see if the psychology talks help you decide? it would depend which kind of psychology you wanted to do really, forensic and educational take less study after your undergrad so i ve heard.
Laurasaur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you wanted to go to Cardiff uni for example, these courses are open to you (grade depending).
Accounting,
Archaeology,
Architectural Engineering,
Banking and Finance,
Biology,
Business Information Systems,
Business Management,
City and Regional Planning,
Civil and Environmental Engineering,
Civil Engineering,
Computer Science,
Computing and Mathematics,
Criminology,
Dental Hygiene,
Dental Surgery with a Preliminary Year,
Dental Therapy and Hygiene,
Diagnostic Radiography and Imaging,
Earth and Environmental Science,
Ecology,
Economics,
Education,
Electrical and Electronic Engineering,
Environmental Geoscience,
Exploration and Resource Geology,
Genetics,
Geology,
Human and Social Sciences,
International Relations and Politics,
Finance and Management,
Media, Journalism and Culture,
Law,
Marine Geography,
Mathematics,
Mechanical Engineering,
Medical Engineering,
Medicine with a Preliminary Year,
Microbiology,
Midwifery,
Nursing,
Occupational Therapy,
Operating Department Practice,
Optometry,
Philosophy,
Physiotherapy,
Politics,
Psychology,
Radiotherapy and Oncology,
Religious and Theological Studies,
Social Analytics,
Social Policy and Sociology,
Social Science,
Software Engineering,
Zoology.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (420)
56.6%
I don't have everything I need (322)
43.4%

Watched Threads