Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just wondered what to expect.

ReputationRep:
    u mean actual school.. or freshers week..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gtan)
    u mean actual school.. or freshers week..?
    the first day you got there- so i suppose freshers week...the day when you arrived at your accomodation etc..

ReputationRep:
    i would expect.. a large class.. lots of people u dont know... lots of stuff to study..??

ReputationRep:
    lots of stuff to study?! Damn, I was hoping that was just a rumour...

ReputationRep:
    You dont do any lectures for the first week do you? Except for introductory stuff??

ReputationRep:
    i dunno.. im just guessing.. i hope im wrong...?

ReputationRep:
    First week is usually fairly light.

ReputationRep:
    From a diary entry on my website: it feels really weird reading it now.

Arrival at Essex

Date: 30/09/2003

New city, new room, new friends - new everything really

Today was my first day at Essex. I spent the morning doing some last minute packing, and set off with my mum around 10.00AM. Before we left, I went to the local Natwest branch to pay in the cheque that my parents had given me towards my accommodation, I also went to the supermarket to pick up the bare essentials for the first day or so. I picked up bread, butter, cheese and milk at my mums request, so that I would have something to eat for the first day or so.

When we got there the first thing I had to do was pick up the keys to my accommodation, then go and visit it. I met the first of my four flat mates, Yoko, and spent some time with my mum looking around the room unpacking things. Soon after, my second flatmate, mark, arrived. My last flatmate, Donna, didn't arrive until much later.

In the afternoon there were a couple of fresher events taking place. On was for freshers and their parents, where you could go along for information about Essex, talks and tours of the campus. This took place pretty early when I was still unpacking and meeting my flatmates so I decided not to go along to it.

The second freshers event I went to along with my flatmate mark, the idea of this one was that you could meet more people studying your course. Each person was given
    a sticky label for the subject they studied, so I was given an economics and a maths sticker, and mark was given a psychology sticker. We wondered round a bit looking for students doing our subjects. I couldn't see anyone doing maths, and only a couple of people doing economics so I went over to get to know them.

In the evening, me and my three flatmates went out for a meal at one of the universities restaurants and got to know each other better. After that we all went to the fresher event which happened at one of the clubs at the university. The idea was we were supposed to meet new fresher. But it didn't work to well, firstly because it was open to second and third years, so we couldn't tell who was a fresher and who wasn't. Secondly because the music was way tooloud to really talk to anyone else, so I didn't end up making many new friends there.

ReputationRep:
    first day, loaded up a renault espace to the ceiling with my crap and my brothers crap before driving up to warwick (parents later drove to london with my brother). Unloaded, went to tescos, met flatmates, went out drinking with some people on my floor etc.

Warwick don't have a freshers week though

ReputationRep:
    Durham - Arrive, spent half an hour unpacking, chatted with my school mate who was at the same college with me. Met people on my landing, bought wine for the formal dinner that evening. Chatted loads with about a million people, unpacked some more, met more people, went for dinner, got loaded with people that id known for about 8 hrs. Went to sleep. Repeat x5 (along with module/library etc registration & matriculation, with lots of drinks in the evening, landing parties, getting stressed in the day with the organisation stuff, getting laggered in the evening)

ReputationRep:
    Here's my first 'proper' day at uni (I'd already been to my flat to move stuff in but hadn't stayed) taken from my LiveJournal....

Now have my laptop in my room connected to the uni network, yay!

Have had such an exhausting week so far....not even over yet...!

Arrived on Saturday (as I think I've already mentioned!) and dropped of the rest of my stuff. Said goodbye to parents and gran who gave me a lift here and then went to get some food! In the evening, me and the flatmates that were here (Andi and Rebecca) went to the bar in Broadgate and met lots of new people which was fun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark arrived on Sunday so we did some more shopping whilst his parents were there to give us a lift back in the car...! Went to the Fresher's Address in the sports' centre Sunday afternoon and then to a kareoke/disco thing at the bar in the evening.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Monday I had to register for the health centre in the senate chamber of the Trent building (v posh with marble walls and fancy staircases). Think I also registered with the school of psychology but not actually sure... Missed the night out at the Palais to go to the Broadgate party at Jumping Jaks instead, which was really good

Had my main registration on Tuesday and got my smart card. Also went to Fresher's Fair and joined the psychology society and snowsports society. Couldn't go to any of the hall parties that were on, and decided not to go to the party at Sutton Bonnington incase we couldn't get back and were left in a field all night :s

Yesterday I went to sign up for my four optional modules. I can't do them in psychology so it took ages to decide what I wanted to do out of the rest of the university's courses!

Set of at 9 to register hoping it would only take a couple of hours.

I was running around campus, queuing, swearing, being told my modules were full, etc until 3.

Then had to rush back to Broadgate to go bowling at 3.30....the bus didn't arrive till 4 so I wouldn't have needed to rush anyways... Bowling was good, not many people went though.

Have managed to sign up for some modules but not the ones I wanted most. I had to cancel one today because I was told the wrong timetable...tried to get another philosophy one but was told to arrange it tomorrow... :s

Went to Mode last night which was really, really good! Judge Jules was dj-ing which was cool Am completely shattered now though...spent today sleeping, going to the library, food shopping, washing clothes and trying to sort out my final module.

Neeeeeed sleep.

ReputationRep:
    When I got here I spent half hour chucking everything in random drawers and then met the other people living on my corridor (all 11 of them!!!) We had a freshers fortnight planned by 2nd years who lived here last year. They basically kept us going out every night for the first few weeks, showing us all the local clubs and how to get round town. Even went on a day pub-crawl to the Isle of Wight! Ended up spending entire 1st week with flatmates - sorting out uni forms/money and shopping - but it was nice to get to know people that quickly. Every club you go to in the 1st few weeks will be full of students so don't worry about getting to know people!

ReputationRep:
    Met loads of people (some people who I had gone to junior school with as well). Forgot most people's names. Almost lost my books by leaving them somewhere (freaked out a bit, but found them soon enough). And picked up several books by mistake when only 1 was needed. All in all, a pretty muddled up day!

ReputationRep:
    It was quite surreal - me and my housemates went to the bar in the evening but we didn't really know what to say to each other so it wasn't that much fun really. None of us were particularly out going people, and it did need someone like that to get everyone chatting - as it went someone would say something then we'd all start chatting then after a few minutes it would die away again. The next day I went to register but it took me ages cos the chemistry department were so unorganised, and by the time I got back everyone else had been to the Freshers Fair with people from their old schools (and I didn't know anyone from my old school who came here) so I had to have a quick look round on my own, and then decided to take myself into town, to have a look round. It was a bit annoying that everyone else knew other people here, whereas I didn't, so they all went off with school friends and I got a bit left on my own. However after a few weeks they started hanging around less wit the school people, which was better for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    It was quite surreal - me and my housemates went to the bar in the evening but we didn't really know what to say to each other so it wasn't that much fun really. None of us were particularly out going people, and it did need someone like that to get everyone chatting - as it went someone would say something then we'd all start chatting then after a few minutes it would die away again. The next day I went to register but it took me ages cos the chemistry department were so unorganised, and by the time I got back everyone else had been to the Freshers Fair with people from their old schools (and I didn't know anyone from my old school who came here) so I had to have a quick look round on my own, and then decided to take myself into town, to have a look round. It was a bit annoying that everyone else knew other people here, whereas I didn't, so they all went off with school friends and I got a bit left on my own. However after a few weeks they started hanging around less wit the school people, which was better for me.
    I thought it was quite uncommon for people to know each other from their old schools? Guess I thought wrong ... there are only around 25 people going to Uni from my school.. and most of them are staying in the South

btw- great thread

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.