The Student Room Group

Queen Mary University of London vs. Brunel University

Hi everybody! I just wanted to ask you which university do you think is the best for the Business Management course between QMUL and Brunel.

Thank you so much for the attention to my question :smile:
Reply 1
QMUL, Brunel isnt that well ranked :smile:
I'm at QMUL, albeit not studying Business Management, but one of my friends is. She's had nothing but pretty good praise to say about her course, and I really have to say that overall QMUL has been a really lovely place atmosphere wise. Plus it's nice to have a campus university that's still in a pretty good area in London.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Summerxo
QMUL, Brunel isnt that well ranked :smile:

Why does ranking matter?

And if we are going to use ranking, Brunel is above QMUL in Business Management.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Business+%26+Management+Studies
Reply 4
Original post by IamLiquid
Why does ranking matter?

And if we are going to use ranking, Brunel is above QMUL in Business Management.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Business+%26+Management+Studies

Ranking/prestige etc. The Guardian table has it higher. Anyway, the OP'd do well to factor in general uni reputation with employers as well as just the particular course. Unfortunately, QMUL being a Russell Group factors in as well.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-league-tables-2016

mermaidy
I'm at QMUL, albeit not studying Business Management, but one of my friends is. She's had nothing but pretty good praise to say about her course, and I really have to say that overall QMUL has been a really lovely place atmosphere wise. Plus it's nice to have a campus university that's still in a pretty good area in London.

I was thinking of applying (probably for Management), what's the social life like? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

I was thinking of applying (probably for Management), what's the social life like? :smile:

Really good, in my experience at least! As you might expect the uni has its own bar & kitchen places and a proper sit down Italian restaurant among other things literally on your doorstep if you live on/near campus, and although people joke about only freshers going to one of the bars the events it has have remained reasonably busy every time I've seen. It's generally a pretty good 'easy' choice if you want to go out but can't be bothered going too far afield. Regent's Canal runs right up one side of campus, so in the better weather it's really nice to just sit and chat away a couple hours by it, a lot of people I know do this and it's a really nice way to chill out without even spending much money!
There's an absolute tonne of societies and sports clubs that have regular socials, too, which also helps. The student union organises a much bigger amount of day trips, live music and comedy events and the like than I expected, too - I remember being quite bowled over early in the year when I got a copy of the union events calendar and was shocked to see that there was something cheap or free on campus I was genuinely interested in doing pretty much every week (maybe I just had low expectations though!).
There are quite a few other places you can eat or get a drink off campus but really nearby (including the old reliable Wetherspoons and this place that does absolutely AMAZING desserts), since the uni is on a road which stretches all the way along to Whitechapel station. That also means it's really really easy to get to the West End from campus.
I'm not the most prolific party animal, but there's pretty much always been something decent to do whenever I've felt like it, and everyone is really friendly. You'd be hard pushed to decide you have nowhere to go.
Reply 6
Original post by mermaidy
Really good, in my experience at least! As you might expect the uni has its own bar & kitchen places and a proper sit down Italian restaurant among other things literally on your doorstep if you live on/near campus, and although people joke about only freshers going to one of the bars the events it has have remained reasonably busy every time I've seen. It's generally a pretty good 'easy' choice if you want to go out but can't be bothered going too far afield. Regent's Canal runs right up one side of campus, so in the better weather it's really nice to just sit and chat away a couple hours by it, a lot of people I know do this and it's a really nice way to chill out without even spending much money!
There's an absolute tonne of societies and sports clubs that have regular socials, too, which also helps. The student union organises a much bigger amount of day trips, live music and comedy events and the like than I expected, too - I remember being quite bowled over early in the year when I got a copy of the union events calendar and was shocked to see that there was something cheap or free on campus I was genuinely interested in doing pretty much every week (maybe I just had low expectations though!).
There are quite a few other places you can eat or get a drink off campus but really nearby (including the old reliable Wetherspoons and this place that does absolutely AMAZING desserts), since the uni is on a road which stretches all the way along to Whitechapel station. That also means it's really really easy to get to the West End from campus.
I'm not the most prolific party animal, but there's pretty much always been something decent to do whenever I've felt like it, and everyone is really friendly. You'd be hard pushed to decide you have nowhere to go.

Thanks so much! :smile: personal repped as Im out of normal rep

Is there a really big/lively clubbing scene going on for Freshers? I want to apply to mainly London unis, but my friends at Nottingham/Leeds etc. seem to have been on some amazing nights out where most of the uni seems to go, it would be nice to have the same thing :smile:

Just been to the societies/sports club page, it looks amazing :biggrin:

Oh so it's like a campus uni but still next to a lot of London things like the canal and places to eat out? :smile: Awesome :yep:
Thanks so much! :smile: personal repped as Im out of normal rep

Is there a really big/lively clubbing scene going on for Freshers? I want to apply to mainly London unis, but my friends at Nottingham/Leeds etc. seem to have been on some amazing nights out where most of the uni seems to go, it would be nice to have the same thing :smile:

Just been to the societies/sports club page, it looks amazing :biggrin:

Oh so it's like a campus uni but still next to a lot of London things like the canal and places to eat out? :smile: Awesome :yep:

Aww, you're welcome, thank you! :h: Yeah, it's like a little self contained student world in itself, but situated in such a place that you can easily go to more central parts of London and go to clubs there and things (although inevitably this will probably be expensive - it is London after all!). Of course, during the freshers fair there was a good number of people handing out the typical wristbands for discounted or free entry to clubs, vouchers for free or cheaper drinks etc., so evidently clubbing was a pretty popular and provided for option. I didn't actually go to that many clubbing events myself during freshers as I found I was just too bloody knackered to be honest, but the calendar was pretty full for that kind of thing even on campus that I recall - including a Krispy Kreme night at one of the bars. You paid entry and got unlimited Krispy Kremes all night meanwhile, finishing at something like 3am. Suffice to say that one was pretty popular! There have also been throwback themed nights and things like that. The university is really, really diverse, so there's obviously going to be a decent number of people who for religious reasons for example won't drink, so the scale of group sizes from the uni going clubbing is perhaps not the same as you might find at places like Nottingham or Leeds, though (although that's just a guess!).
I apply to Brunel and Queen Marry university of London and got accepted in both but QMUL has offered me a foundation year and Brunel has offer me direct admission with work placement. my course is Business Managment. so I am confused which option to choice? I terms of finances Brunel seems to have the edge but if you talk about ranking and reputation QMUL have the edge. I am more consurned about the students I will meet in the university and teachers. Will they be helpful in terms of motivating me to do somethings in life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending