The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steveluis10
I'd be happy for Ofsted to look at my books, even the ones that aren't marked. I'd tell them that they say they don't expect frequent marking and that we're 2 weeks into a new year with new classes so of course you won't marking every class' books right now. I'm sick of the constant pandering to Ofsted - we need to take action or there'll be no qualified teachers left in the profession in ten years time.

It's quite different in primary, when your lessons follow on from each other every day. You can't teach tomorrow's maths lesson without knowing how well they understood today's, which often comes from the marking. So often they seem to get something when you're doing it together on whiteboards, but the minute they're left to their own devices they haven't got a clue what's happening.
I was a bit sneaky with marking this year, in the knowledge that Ofsted are due (and as CarnationLilyRose said, I'd rather they came now before I have the chance to get into a marking backlog).

I got my Y8 groups to write "Start of year reflections" on the first day, saying what they were good at last year, what they enjoy in the subject, what they will need help with. Then I marked them straight away with a tip/link to an online resource to help them with the area they identified as a weakness. So I figured they'd look good and give a first impression even if I then get a bit behind.

I'm currently marking my Y11s for the 2nd time, have marked Y10 once, Y8 twice (if you count the cheaty first time when they hadn't really done any work) and one of my Y7 groups once. Y7 are absolute bottom priority when it comes to marking because they don't write anything substantial for me to mark and Y7 is all about building up core vocabulary knowledge. So I'm doing fortnightly vocab tests instead to track learning and if Ofsted (or SLT) query my marking of Y7 books I'll show them the test scores.
How sad is it that we mark thinking of how we can pass a SLT or Ofsted test rather than doing what's best for the pupils in own time and using our own judgements.

But anyway, another week down! I am truly shattered - it's been a week of highs and lows.
How sad is it that we mark thinking of how we can pass a SLT or Ofsted test rather than doing what's best for the pupils in own time and using our own judgements.

A sad reflection on the state of monitoring in the profession. I often stick photo evidence in books - does the kids no good at all, but shows ofsted and SLT what we did in the lesson.
Soo... I got asked to do a thing today and I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it. I also have to keep it to myself for the time being (well, a couple of colleagues who have also been asked are in the loop) so would like to sound some ideas out here.

Putting it in spoilers as it's long and kind of private...

Spoiler

Any thoughts?
Reply 85
Original post by myrtille
Soo... I got asked to do a thing today and I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it. I also have to keep it to myself for the time being (well, a couple of colleagues who have also been asked are in the loop) so would like to sound some ideas out here.

Putting it in spoilers as it's long and kind of private...

Spoiler

Any thoughts?

You should go for it :smile:
Anyone else finding the last week or so really tough?

We've been back since 25th August so it's now been almost 6 weeks (ie: the length of a normal term). I feel so ready for the half-term break.

Whilst I've been much more organised about my own planning and marking (have marked ALL classes books at least once already, most twice, and Y11 4 or 5 times) it feels like there's always something else that can fill the time and there's a lot of pressure due to the fact that Ofsted are due and our exam results were lower than expected.

The overall mood is positive (onwards and upwards!) but it just feels like there's a lot to do and we're spending a lot of time discussing it which is taking away from time for marking etc.

I've just been feeling knackered and like my teaching isn't up to my usual standard because I'm feeling tired and uninspired when planning lessons.
Reply 87
Original post by myrtille
Anyone else finding the last week or so really tough?

We've been back since 25th August so it's now been almost 6 weeks (ie: the length of a normal term). I feel so ready for the half-term break.

Whilst I've been much more organised about my own planning and marking (have marked ALL classes books at least once already, most twice, and Y11 4 or 5 times) it feels like there's always something else that can fill the time and there's a lot of pressure due to the fact that Ofsted are due and our exam results were lower than expected.

The overall mood is positive (onwards and upwards!) but it just feels like there's a lot to do and we're spending a lot of time discussing it which is taking away from time for marking etc.

I've just been feeling knackered and like my teaching isn't up to my usual standard because I'm feeling tired and uninspired when planning lessons.

So very true.

For me it was last week that nearly got me to a breakdown as I just didn't have the time to completed everything expected of me. This week was a bit better. It's still 3 more weeks for us before the break though.
Absolutely feeling it as well.

We're on red hot alert for Ofsted so the box ticking is rife at the minute.

I've got better at planning and marking this year but I still haven't marked year 8 books and my 7 and 9 books aren't marked in detail. I just have no idea how I'm meant to mark every classes' books to what staff and pupils expect me to. My very few free periods are spent either planning lessons or taking care of all the other little bits and bobs that are part of the job.

I spend a lot of Sundays marking but I can't mark more than say 7 or 8 books when I come home from work and I don't see why I should spend Friday nights or Saturdays marking (though I've had to today)

In terms of my behaviour management I have improved in some respects but I've still lost some classes and I don't know how I can get them back. If I enforce the policy I get such awful attitude and aggressive comments back. Sometimes I enforce the policy but then they won't come to a detention so I pass it on to my HOD and they don't always follow it up. There are so many loopholes for the kids to find whereby they can get away with so much and it's a constant strain on me.

I love the job and some days are amazing but I just don't know how long I can do this. I care too much about letting the good pupils down and I don't feel like the school is good enough at supporting teachers in trying to command respect and basic manners.
Not sure if I'm enjoying my new school too much. Finding it a bit repetitive, boring, and haven't really met anyone I 'click' with to talk to. Oh well... Might get better?

I also had some issues today with Year 9 pupils (chatty and unfocused) and as I only have them once a week and this was the second lesson of chatty behaviour, I emailed home (prefer email to phoning, I'm terrible on the phone, and the parents at my school seem to prefer emails). I'm just wondering if I jumped to parental contact too soon - or whether it was best to nip it in the bud. Like I wish I'd contacted home sooner at my last school.

I keep doubting myself because I have very little departmental support. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by outlaw-torn
Not sure if I'm enjoying my new school too much. Finding it a bit repetitive, boring, and haven't really met anyone I 'click' with to talk to. Oh well... Might get better?

I also had some issues today with Year 9 pupils (chatty and unfocused) and as I only have them once a week and this was the second lesson of chatty behaviour, I emailed home (prefer email to phoning, I'm terrible on the phone, and the parents at my school seem to prefer emails). I'm just wondering if I jumped to parental contact too soon - or whether it was best to nip it in the bud. Like I wish I'd contacted home sooner at my last school.

I keep doubting myself because I have very little departmental support. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

IMHO, never too early :smile:
I don't think it's ever too early to contact home, if you can find the time to do so.

Parents generally appreciate it, and if their child is normally not too badly behaved but are playing up a bit because you're new and they don't have many lessons with you, it could help to make their parents aware of the situation before it gets out of hand.

I am just about dragging myself into school each day now. An 8 week term is just too long, and I've had a lot on with trying to organise my first residential trip. I've now got nearly enough pupils to run it, but it's taking so much time and effort in terms of redoing budgets based on different numbers, contacting parents, chasing reply slips, etc.

On top of that, I'm trying to buy a house and just haven't had the time to do much about it so I think the estate agents are going to start pestering me soon for mortgage/solicitors details.

Overall I think this is going to be an OK year though, once we're through the long Winter terms.

My mediocre top-set Y11 (top of 2) have really knuckled down this year and they're doing everything I ask of them now so they're much better prepared for their assessment this week. My bottom set are still really challenging as I'm teaching 2 different qualifications in the same room, but after half-term one pupil with complex mental health needs should be taken out and supported by a new member of support staff, and after Christmas the bottom 6 pupils will have finished their qualification and gone to extra English/Maths intervention, so I'll just have my GCSE candidates who are mostly lovely. Things can only get better!

My Y10s, 9s and 7s are great too, it's just Y8 I'm finding difficult. They're much better than the Y8s I had in my NQT year (they stay in their seats, they don't throw things or swear) but they're just really chatty, slow to follow instructions, and don't work hard enough.
Last week I was fine. This week - melt down. So ready for half term.

We've got a county inspector in today in preparation for Ofsted. We spent so long focussing on getting displays up last week that my class hardly did anything in literacy or topic, aside from finishing off presenting work for the wall. What a waste.

I got up at 5am yesterday and worked till half 11 at night, with a couple of hours off to cook and eat dinner. Had a row with my boyfriend because i'm generally stressed and moany. I'm knackered and my health isn't the best (I have a long term condition which has been acting up since August).

Just this week and next week, then we're off. Next week is also a 4 day week for us, and one of those is a trip. Between that and doing assessments, it should be an easy enough week.

Just got to get through this day first.... not even finished marking all of my literacy books, but I just can't face it. They don't need them for today's lesson - if they're asked for by the inspector I'll probably say I've left them at home... in fact, I really may just leave them at home. Is it Friday yet? :frown:
How's everyone doing? Would you believe, the county inspector never did so much as a learning walk! She was just locked in the head's office all day looking at data. Oh well.

I've taken a bit of a more laid back approach to the rest of the week, after killing myself on Monday and Tuesday.

Is everyone else still at school next week, or does anyone finish for half term tomorrow?

All my kids are ready for a break too, now. They're not acting up or anything, but a lot of them are poorly. I've had at least 2 out of 25 off every day this week and the ones that are in are sniffling, coughing, complaining of headaches, feeling dizzy, feeling sick etc. I feel like a nursemaid, not a teacher!!

We've got assessments next week, but I'm desperate to get them started - I want to know how they've done! But I need to get their big bit of writing done today and tomorrow as a matter of urgency, so I don't think I've got time to start any tests today.

Hope you're all good!
I break up tomorrow, but we did start back on 25th August so it's been nearly an 8-week term.

Kids are definitely ready for a break and so am I.

I have an insane amount of marking to do over half-term but am going way for 4 days so not totally sure how it will all fit in. I've photocopied some assessments and might get them marked on the plane or something.

My trip is also causing me loads of hassle especially as there's been an issue with our online payment system today so I have no idea how many parents have paid the deposit. I've managed to recruit 24 kids (wanted 30) which means I'm going to have to increase the trip price from £300 to £350 per pupil unless I can blag some other funding or recruit more kids. Need to pay the ferry company the initial deposit tomorrow so am going to have to deal with finace in my lunch break. Haven't eaten lunch properly for the last couple of weeks at all. :frown:

I still have planning to do for tomorrow but my Y10s are so good I want to mark their writing assessments first. Half-way through the pile and I've given 2 A*s already!
Crawling to the end now. I did not eat all day, only managed to get something to eat about half an hour ago. One more week to go, so need to sleep, going to have an early night.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm done with this term and done with my school. Hate coming in at the minute.
Original post by pgce2013
Crawling to the end now. I did not eat all day, only managed to get something to eat about half an hour ago. One more week to go, so need to sleep, going to have an early night.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm done with this term and done with my school. Hate coming in at the minute.

Can only offer support and sympathy and say that it's completely normal and nearly everyone will be feeling the same.
Original post by pgce2013

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's when you know there's something not right. No matter what you have to give yourself some time off during the school day - even if it's only 30 mins.

I'm in primary and I've decided to do that. Every lunch break I go out for the last 15-20 mins and play footy and patball with my old class. Some of them are becoming really good at it and enjoy it when I'm out there. I'm not gonna sit in my room or the staff room and think about photocopying and printing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I usually take a lunch break of 30mins so this was an exception. I'm ready to break up to be honest. I think I'm grinding to a halt and need to recharge my batteries.

Posted from TSR Mobile