PhD Interview - 10 minute presentation

Watch
AmyLaurenB
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

I have been shortlisted at my chosen university to interview for a PhD scholarship and GTA position. It's all been a bit of a whirlwind (I only just got my BA results last week, I'm skipping a masters and moving straight forward with PhD - hopefully). Basically, I have been asked to prepare a 10 minute presentation for the interview addressing the following: "choosing one research methods topic, outline how you would teach this to undergraduate students."

I've decided to go with qualitative research, given that my subject area is film and I've competed much more qualitative research than quantitive. I've also decided to refine the topic further. I know many other participants will also be interviewing for the PhD scholarships they have, and I want to offer something a little different. I understand they will not just be assessing what I cover in the presentation, but also how I present. What I wanted to ask you all was if you think what I've chosen is appropriate.

I thought I'd speak about generating primary, participant based research for extended research assessments. Basically, how to create professional and academic surveys for assessed case studies, dissertations, ect. I completed an extensive research survey in a case study module in my final year, receiving 90/100 for my work, with the feedback highlighting my survey as one of the projects biggest strengths. My presentation will cover my suggested lesson plan and objectives for undergraduates, methods of teaching in workshop style format, practice assignments to test learning, how to write surveys academically, pitfalls to avoid, ect.

I'd really appreciate any feedback, positive or negative. Do you think what I'm covering is broad enough? Any tips for presenting in interviews will be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Amy-Lauren.
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Surveys aren't usually qualitative. Are you sure you meant you'd focus on a qualitative rather than quantitative approach? Also qualitative and quantitative research are categories that encompass a large number of distinct research methods. So if I were responding to that question in a ten minute presentation I'd want to pick a specific method to teach rather than trying to talk about qualitative or quantitative methods in general.
AmyLaurenB
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Craghyrax)
Surveys aren't usually qualitative. Are you sure you meant you'd focus on a qualitative rather than quantitative approach? Also qualitative and quantitative research are categories that encompass a large number of distinct research methods. So if I were responding to that question in a ten minute presentation I'd want to pick a specific method to teach rather than trying to talk about qualitative or quantitative methods in general.
True, I understand how what I've said above doesn't make complete sense without context. I do mean qualitative, as in a survey with OPEN answers that ask the participant to write a response, rather than yes/no or numerical data. I used this method in a research topic about a TV show, posting the survey on a fan site and received excellent results that I would consider in a qualitative capacity, rather than quantitative.

The presentation at the moment spends a little time talking about how I chose surveys and my example/previous experience with them. It then dissects a detailed teaching plan I have created. Perhaps I'm just not explaining myself too well on here. I understand what you mean about them being large categories, that's why I've selected something more specific.
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AmyLaurenB)
True, I understand how what I've said above doesn't make complete sense without context. I do mean qualitative, as in a survey with OPEN answers that ask the participant to write a response, rather than yes/no or numerical data. I used this method in a research topic about a TV show, posting the survey on a fan site and received excellent results that I would consider in a qualitative capacity, rather than quantitative.

The presentation at the moment spends a little time talking about how I chose surveys and my example/previous experience with them. It then dissects a detailed teaching plan I have created. Perhaps I'm just not explaining myself too well on here. I understand what you mean about them being large categories, that's why I've selected something more specific.
I see. Well in that case it sounds fine to me Congratulations on your undergrad results :yy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (159)
73.95%
No (56)
26.05%

Watched Threads