The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Picking up on something that Vesicle said, are any of you a little worried about how the type of course Cambridge does will affect your ability to be a good doctor (as opposed to a good scientist in the medical field)? It's just a feeling that I have picked up in the medical forum--that the course is so science focussed and with such little early patient contact that it does not develop communication skills etc etc. This is just something that's been playing on my mind. It's not that I don't feel that I am suited to the course, or that the course is not suited to me, it's that I'm worried about what happens after the course. Hmmmm, I am a big worrier, it would seem, as this is at least 6 years away! So yeah, any thoughts on this matter would be helpful, and sorry if this post was a bit (well very!) rambly. :smile:
Well we do have limited patient contact in the first three years, but we also have three years to get up to scratch with our communication skills and the rest of that stuff during our clinicals. And im sure that you will a good doctor as well as being a good scientist. so dont worry:smile:
Reply 122
zedliv
Picking up on something that Vesicle said, are any of you a little worried about how the type of course Cambridge does will affect your ability to be a good doctor (as opposed to a good scientist in the medical field)? It's just a feeling that I have picked up in the medical forum--that the course is so science focussed and with such little early patient contact that it does not develop communication skills etc etc. This is just something that's been playing on my mind. It's not that I don't feel that I am suited to the course, or that the course is not suited to me, it's that I'm worried about what happens after the course. Hmmmm, I am a big worrier, it would seem, as this is at least 6 years away! So yeah, any thoughts on this matter would be helpful, and sorry if this post was a bit (well very!) rambly. :smile:

Really wouldn't worry about it. Your patient contact is limited, but as long as you actually aren't a total social recluse, you'll be developing your people skills all the time when you meet all these new people at uni etc! Once you get to clinical school it's all taught very well (to the point of excess at some times) and most people are fine. Those who are not so good at it, I suspect would not be brilliant no matter how long they are taught for, so it's not something for most of us to worry about.

It's something to be aware of, and worth thinking about as you go along - what impression you're giving of yourself, what the patient thinks/wants etc, but you'll certainly have plenty of time to practise.

Edit: Oh, and I got rejected from Newcastle without interview. Never got any feedback either. I wouldn't worry too much about one place's comments - you know for yourself whether that's going to be really true or not.
n1r4v
Oh to *stars and stripes*, I'm going to have to start my injections quite late as well and for the problem of not getting them all done by Oct, I think you only need 2 of the injections out of 3 by then, and the first 2 are separated, I think, by the space of a month, so I think it would be possible. I'm not sure if they would reject you on the grounds of not getting the injections done though. Hope not anyway!

Thank you, but my situation's sorted now anyway...I'll just about be able to squeeze my last one in about 3 days before I go *grades permmiting of course* I also got some paperwork from Emma and they said you only need to have the first 2 done, so you're right anyway! :smile:
Reply 124
thats cool. I just realised, are you on NMM as well... Danielle[some numbers]
Reply 125
I'm ether369... I recall you posting on there!
aster100
thats cool. I just realised, are you on NMM as well... Danielle[some numbers]

Yes, though I'm on TSR much more often :smile:
Reply 127
On the subject of Hepatitis B injections:
I'm so petrified of them; I've got my second really soon and its so annoying, I hate them so much I can't stop worrying about them! It's getting so bad, I can barely concentrate :frown:. Any advice?
aster100
On the subject of Hepatitis B injections:
I'm so petrified of them; I've got my second really soon and its so annoying, I hate them so much I can't stop worrying about them! It's getting so bad, I can barely concentrate :frown:. Any advice?

Concentrate on the fact that by having them, you're going to be a doctor? I don't know really, sorry I'm not much help- injections and suchlike have never bothered me in the slightest. Is it the needles you have a problem with? One of my friends was really petrified of them, but she decided to have acupuncture and now she can manage her fear OK... I think she also tried hypnotherapy, if that helps :smile:
*stars and stripes*
Yes, though I'm on TSR much more often :smile:

Stars and stripes is Danielle!!!
greenerwhiterblacker
Stars and stripes is Danielle!!!

Well done :wink:
Reply 131
*stars and stripes*
Concentrate on the fact that by having them, you're gong to be a doctor? I don't know really, sorry I'm not much help- injections and suchlike have never bothered me in the slightest. Is it the needles you have a problem with? One of my friends was really petrified of them, but she decided to have acupuncture and now she can manage her fear OK... I think she also tried hypnotherapy, if that helps :smile:

Thanks very much!!! Indeed, the motivation to be a doctor is quite a good one to overcome my fear and it is indeed the needle I have a problem with. It's sort of because it goes against instict really, I mean if I knew I was going to meet pain soon, I would do my best, hence worry(!) to avoid it and the fact I have to override my instinct feels a bit uncomfortable. Sorry about my weird explanation, but that is kinda what I feel in my head!
But your advice was brill, thanks:biggrin:
aster100
Thanks very much!!! Indeed, the motivation to be a doctor is quite a good one to overcome my fear and it is indeed the needle I have a problem with. It's sort of because it goes against instict really, I mean if I knew I was going to meet pain soon, I would do my best, hence worry(!) to avoid it and the fact I have to override my instinct feels a bit uncomfortable. Sorry about my weird explanation, but that is kinda what I feel in my head!
But your advice was brill, thanks:biggrin:

No, that makes sense to me :smile: That's OK, I'm not sure about it being brill, but there you go... another tactic that seems to work well (being at a girls' school when the BCG vaccinations occur is not a pretty sight!) is to take someone along with you whose hand you can squeeze really, really hard. My poor form tutor was subjected to this, but she said as long as it stopped people from becoming hysterical, she didn't mind!
Reply 133
lol!
Reply 134
I think I understand where you're coming from. I had a blood test done recently and it felt completely different on 'the other side of the needle' as it were. It was a bit like 'oh, am I really going to let this perfectly nice person stick a piece of metal into my arm...', but then I'm quite used to ignoring thoughts like that. It's just a bit incongruous- as I'm sure no where in our evolution was it ever advantageous until now to have stuff injected into you.

On another note. Everywhere I've tried in Manchester- even travel clinics have refused to vaccinate me. Though my GP were very nice and did blood tests, forms and letters explaining exactly why. Apparently they're not trained to inform me about other blood disease risks and stuff. But Cambridge have said that it's okay and they'll vaccinate me when I get there.
Finance forms!

... are we meant to write down the duration as the 6 year course or the 3 year preclinical?

&& what month does the last year of the course finish on/where can I find out? :smile:

<3
invisibleforest
Finance forms!

... are we meant to write down the duration as the 6 year course or the 3 year preclinical?

&& what month does the last year of the course finish on/where can I find out? :smile:

<3

Glad you thought to ask these questions, because I don't know either!

Sorry I can't help...this was actually a really pointless post lol :redface:
Reply 137
yep I want to know that too!
And another question ... we put down the fee as £3145 ... do we have to put anything down about the college fees, or is that all sorted out by them?

*confuzzled*
invisibleforest
And another question ... we put down the fee as £3145 ... do we have to put anything down about the college fees, or is that all sorted out by them?

*confuzzled*

Don't you only pay college fees if you aren't applying for student support? :confused:

http://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduates/finance/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending