The Student Room Logo

Cambridge Medicine Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XingBairong
Thank you! I only have 7A*s 2As and a C in English (English is not my first language, you see Y_Y + I was so unlucky that I had the worst essay question to do: 'Describe what make you happy') Hopefully, it would be sufficient >_<.
Oh yes, would my 'C' in English be my obstacle in my quest of getting into Cambridge?

and I have another three questions:
1) How would they check that you have retaken modules?

2) Since I am taking Further Maths and Maths, I will get my A-level Maths this year, would it help at all if I have an A* (Full A-Level) already?

3) Between Spanish and Further Maths A-Level, which of these is more useful? I mean I will have the AS's in these subjects anyway, I'm not sure which one I should take to A2 yet.

Dunno about the C. If it's not your first language, then they might make allowances. I've no idea really.

1) You have to fill in an online form, on which you must declare if you have done any resits or are intending to do any.

2) Maths is considered relevant, so a high percentage score will help your chances.

3) Further Maths
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Dunno about the C. If it's not your first language, then they might make allowances. I've no idea really.

1) You have to fill in an online form, on which you must declare if you have done any resits or are intending to do any.

2) Maths is considered relevant, so a high percentage score will help your chances.

3) Further Maths

I have to disagree with the last one. Most universities don't consider Further Maths to be a separate subject for medicine admissions, and many want you to have completed 3 full A-levels in your U6th year. This means that if you did take FM with Chem and Bio, you run the risk that they might not consider that appropriate - the fact that you have another full A-level a year earlier is irrelevant. So I would either take Spanish, or get the school to re-jig some modules so that you don't technically finish Maths until the summer of U6th.

A C in English won't necessarily be a problem, though you will have to check the individual requirements of all the universities you apply to as some want more. Your written and spoken English is naturally required to be of a high level.
Original post by Chief Wiggum

3) Further Maths

Original post by Helenia
I have to disagree with the last one. Most universities don't consider Further Maths to be a separate subject for medicine admissions, and many want you to have completed 3 full A-levels in your U6th year. This means that if you did take FM with Chem and Bio, you run the risk that they might not consider that appropriate - the fact that you have another full A-level a year earlier is irrelevant. So I would either take Spanish, or get the school to re-jig some modules so that you don't technically finish Maths until the summer of U6th.

A C in English won't necessarily be a problem, though you will have to check the individual requirements of all the universities you apply to as some want more. Your written and spoken English is naturally required to be of a high level.

Thank you!!

I think I will take IELTs exam to support myself. Hopefully, I could get 8.00 or above. But speaking would be a pain because most questions are something that I don't really care or have basic knowledge about.

And they only consider the first 3 A-Level right? so I won't have to worry about Spanish too much if I take it. I stand more chance of getting the A* in Further Maths than I do in Spanish because of the speaking exam where you literally need 94% to get A* >_<.
Original post by XingBairong
Thank you!!

I think I will take IELTs exam to support myself. Hopefully, I could get 8.00 or above. But speaking would be a pain because most questions are something that I don't really care or have basic knowledge about.

And they only consider the first 3 A-Level right? so I won't have to worry about Spanish too much if I take it. I stand more chance of getting the A* in Further Maths than I do in Spanish because of the speaking exam where you literally need 94% to get A* >_<.

The thing is, even if you do get an A* in FM, I don't know if Cambridge or other medical schools will accept it - as I've already said, some don't consider it as a separate subject from Maths. So if you take only Bio, Chem and FM in U6th, having already completed A2 Maths, there is a very real chance that some places may not consider you eligible.
Reply 1444
Original post by Helenia
The thing is, even if you do get an A* in FM, I don't know if Cambridge or other medical schools will accept it - as I've already said, some don't consider it as a separate subject from Maths. So if you take only Bio, Chem and FM in U6th, having already completed A2 Maths, there is a very real chance that some places may not consider you eligible.

Cambridge I think will be ok - on the website it says further maths counts as a 'science/mathematics' subject... also, I have heard anecdotally of people being given offers based only on two A-levels (eg AA) if they already have an A in mathematics. However I applied before all this A* business happened so I would not give my advice too much weight.

The question really for the applicant is do you only care about studying medicine at Cambridge or do you want to study medicine in the UK in general? (I'm not clear whether you're an international applicant doing UK qualifications or if you live in the UK) If the latter, it would probably be advisable to take Spanish, rather than FM, for the reasons Helenia has already stated - lots of medical schools in the UK won't count FM separately from maths.
(edited 11 years ago)
Helloooo!,

I am currently in Year 11 and I will sit my GCSEs later this year and I was wondering what sort of GCSE grades I would realistically need to get to stand a chance of getting into Cambridge to do Medicine.

I am doing all three sciences and all other core subjects. I am also doing French and Latin for languages and Geography and RS for Humanities.

So, what do you think I should be aiming for to help me get into Cambridge?

7 A*, I'm afraid. All the best though :smile:
Oh okay...that sounds reasonable and also are short course subjects counted as half an A*?

Thanks again!
The GCSE requirements are CCC in maths and 2 science subjects. http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/medicine/requirements.html

However, know that to get into medicine you have to show Cambridge you're a better applicant than everyone else who applies. I don't have figures on this, but the average applicant for medicine will probably have at least 7A*s. I think anyone with less than 7 would probably stick out as a weaker candidate, and if you get 10+ then you will stand as a stronger candidate. If you're GCSEs aren't great you may be in danger of getting rejected before the interview.

I think it's also worth noting that Cambridge look at more than just GCSEs. AS grades and scores, BMAT (an admission test), the interview, extra circulars and work experience will play a big role when they decide

And short course subjects are counted as half a GCSE. Good luck :smile:
If you're going for cambridge why wouldn't you aim for straight A*s to maximise your chances?
To get into Medicine anywhere you want to be aiming for the best GCSE results you can. Certain places like Oxford and Birmingham have very high GCSE requirements; Cambridge officially isn't so strict and is more interested in AS UMS, but I think the average applicant will have something like 6/7 A*s at least.

I would strongly recommend you do a lot of reading about the Cambridge medicine course as it isn't right for everyone. If, however, you do want to go for it, you will need the best GCSEs you can get, then high UMS in your ASs - you will need to take at least 3 sciences to AS for Cambridge. On top of that, you need to get all the relevant work experience and voluntary work that you need for a medicine application anywhere, and do well in the BMAT and interview.
Thanks for all the replies :smile: and I am aiming for a* but I do not think I will get a* in all 13 gcses I am doing.
Also @Helenia why do you think it is not right for everyone, just out of interest??
Thanks again! :P
Original post by Skyandstars
Thanks for all the replies :smile: and I am aiming for a* but I do not think I will get a* in all 13 gcses I am doing.
Also @Helenia why do you think it is not right for everyone, just out of interest??
Thanks again! :P

The course is very traditional, with lots of pretty dry hardcore science for the first three years, which not everyone wanting to do medicine will enjoy. You will only get to see a handful of patients in your pre-clinical years and will not learn basic clinical skills like history taking and examinations until 4th year, while other med schools teach this in the first few weeks. I don't personally think that this matters in the end, but for some people it's a big deal.
Yeah I have heard about this and I think that this would suit me better so I am definitely going to have a go in applying later next year and thank you so much for the advice :smile:
Original post by Sugarandspies
Hello!

For the CSAS, I understand that Cambridge is more likely to reduce an offer to AAA if you have had unfortunate disruptions to your education, but are they also more likely to consider you if you have taken any module resits or have an AS average UMS <90%?

Super thanks in advance! :smile:

I know this is late but I applied via CSAS this admissions cycle for Medicine at Robinson College. They were brutal about my UMS marks of 93% (Chem), 93% (Maths) and 91% (Biology - full marks on written exams but flunked practical) being low in the list of applicants. They also told me that only one or two applicants have ever got a reduced medicine offer and they had more mitigating circumstances than myself. I only took one resit in Chemistry Unit 1 to go from 81/100 to 95/100. Despite getting a 9.5/10 in the interview, I was still rejected. My BMAT was average but not laughable (4.7, 5.5, 4A) and my GCSE's were supposedly above average when adjusted to my school's performance (adjusted from 5A*'s+4A's to 8A*'s+1A). They cited that I would struggle with additional pressure (already young carer) with such a difficult course.

I would recommend that you give it a shot, but to be realistic of your chances of getting a place and applying wisely. Some colleges love maths beyond recognition e.g Jesus, Downing and Jesus and other are obsessed with UMS marks like Trinity and surprisingly Robinson.
(edited 11 years ago)
Could any third year medics link me to Facebook groups for students transferring to London for clinical school? I have a friend who applied to one of the London schools, but I'm not sure which one, and I don't want to put my foot in it if he hasn't got in. I've already seen the Imperial group, which says groups exist for the other schools, but they're not appearing when I search for them, probably because they're invite only. Thanks.
They're not invite only. You should be able to find groups for King's/UCL if you search for them. Anyway, it's probably best to just ask your friend...
Hi, I'm a prospective medical student and I was just looking at the different colleges, and I was wondering whether some colleges base their interviews/offers strongly on BMAT and which don't? As if some don't look at BMAT as much, it may give me a better chance encase I mess it up.

Is the AS UMS score and BMAT score used just to see whether you can get an interview, or is it still a fundamental factor after interview to see whether you get an offer? Or is getting an offer purely based on your interview skills?

And are any of the cambridge colleges for medicine less competitive? :redface:

Reply 1458
Original post by StaedtlerNoris
Hi, I'm a prospective medical student and I was just looking at the different colleges, and I was wondering whether some colleges base their interviews/offers strongly on BMAT and which don't? As if some don't look at BMAT as much, it may give me a better chance encase I mess it up.

Is the AS UMS score and BMAT score used just to see whether you can get an interview, or is it still a fundamental factor after interview to see whether you get an offer? Or is getting an offer purely based on your interview skills?

And are any of the cambridge colleges for medicine less competitive? :redface:

AS and BMAT scores are not just interview criteria, they also do play a factor in deciding whether to give you an offer or not. Obviously there are always rumours of some colleges putting more weight on certain things, but I've never really heard specifically of any that do not look at the BMAT very much (then again I didn't apply for medicine).

Bear in mind that even if there are some colleges which put less weight on your BMAT score and more weight on interviews, you will not take your BMAT until AFTER you have chosen a college and applied via UCAS. So you will have to pick your college before you know your score.

You've also made a mistake in your spelling, it should be incase not encase.

Finally none of the colleges are less competitive for medicine.
Original post by v2p
AS and BMAT scores are not just interview criteria, they also do play a factor in deciding whether to give you an offer or not. Obviously there are always rumours of some colleges putting more weight on certain things, but I've never really heard specifically of any that do not look at the BMAT very much (then again I didn't apply for medicine).

Bear in mind that even if there are some colleges which put less weight on your BMAT score and more weight on interviews, you will not take your BMAT until AFTER you have chosen a college and applied via UCAS. So you will have to pick your college before you know your score.

You've also made a mistake in your spelling, it should be incase not encase.

Finally none of the colleges are less competitive for medicine.

What did you apply for, out of curiosity?

I know they're only rumours, but I've heard people say that Caius or Emma are infamously hard to get into, so as I don't really have any preference to which college I apply for, I thought that I may as well avoid the really competitive ones.

I'm aware that the UCAS deadline is ~10th of October, and BMAT is somewhere in November. Hence I thought that even if I do slightly underperform in it, I'd rather choose a college that did use BMAT as a crucial factor for deciding who does/doesn't get an interview. As at school there was an Oxbridge information evening, and the admissions tutor for Churchill said that they don't really look at BMAT too much when deciding candidates for interview, but looked at their UMS scores a lot more.

Ah yes, I always spell that word wrong :rolleyes:

I think that in a sense they may not be less competitive, but some may suit your academic profile a bit more, perhaps you have extremely good AS scores, and a college may look at your UMS more than others. That's kind of what I was trying to ask :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Latest