The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Are the following unis good?: Sitrling, Lincoln, Oxford Brookes, Sheffield Hallam...

Hello,

Im from Germany and would like to study my masters in UK.
Unfortunately I reached only a 6.0 result in IELTS. Because of that my possibilities for choice of a university are very limited.
At the moment Im searching intensive for institutions, which accept my IELTS result. My target is to study something in the direction of television production or similar.

Currently I have the following unis on my list: Stirling, Lincoln, Oxford Brookes, Sheffield Hallam, Staffordshire, Leeds Beckett.

The first 3 make a good impression to me, but its difficult to find reliable information about their quality and reputation. Maybe someone here knows something about them :smile:

I also welcome each advice about a university, which is not on my list.

I have also an addition question. I saw a lot of English language requiriments of unis and some of them looks like: "overall 6.5 and no less than 5.5 in each component".
My result looks like this:
Listening: 5.5
Reading: 7.0
Writing: 6.0
Speaking: 6.0
Overall: 6.0

Is there no chance to be accepted with my result? Im not under 5.5. My problem is only the overall.

I appreciate any help!

Thank you.

Sincerely,
dimahagem
Well, I have heard that Stirling is academically quite excellent, so search around Stirling?
Nevertheless, all the universities you have stated are all deemed quite excellent or reasonably well and thus I advise you to just attend the opening days or talk to some of the professors.
I wish you all the best.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by dimahagem
thank you :smile:

You can be accepted by better unis if you take (and pay) their pre-sessional English courses.
Example:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/clie/graduate-preparation-courses/pre-sessional

I advise you to improve your reading and listening comprehension. It's not difficult.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Stirling is the more academic on your list. The others are FHs. Concur that a resit would be advisable with regard to cost benefit.

Good luck
Reply 5
Im waiting at the moment for an answer of a university. They must tell me how long they can wait for the results of a second IELTS try. This month I have to finish my bachelors thesis and have no time to prepare myself for the test. So, a try at the beginning of August would be difficult. Could happen that I get a worse result than now and loose the last chance to study in UK. Its only reasonable to retake the test at the end of August.
Original post by dimahagem
Hello,

Im from Germany and would like to study my masters in UK.
Unfortunately I reached only a 6.0 result in IELTS. Because of that my possibilities for choice of a university are very limited.
At the moment Im searching intensive for institutions, which accept my IELTS result. My target is to study something in the direction of television production or similar.

Currently I have the following unis on my list: Stirling, Lincoln, Oxford Brookes, Sheffield Hallam, Staffordshire, Leeds Beckett.

The first 3 make a good impression to me, but its difficult to find reliable information about their quality and reputation. Maybe someone here knows something about them :smile:

I also welcome each advice about a university, which is not on my list.

I have also an addition question. I saw a lot of English language requiriments of unis and some of them looks like: "overall 6.5 and no less than 5.5 in each component".
My result looks like this:
Listening: 5.5
Reading: 7.0
Writing: 6.0
Speaking: 6.0
Overall: 6.0

Is there no chance to be accepted with my result? Im not under 5.5. My problem is only the overall.

I appreciate any help!

Thank you.

Sincerely,
dimahagem

I'm going into my last year at Stirling so if you have any questions, feel free to drop me a message :smile:
Reply 7
You have a message :smile:
Hm, I think for your subjects there is probably and own league table and maybe universities usually not good might excel, so try to find someone already working in that field.

And do you already have offers? Because otherwise you need to wait a year anyway, and then you should have plenty of time to improve your English and the IELTS results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending