Nurseclaire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm thinking of buying a mac book for starting uni in september but Someone told me their not comparable with Microsoft office, word etc which I will be using at uni. Is this true? Thanx in advance.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nurseclaire)
I'm thinking of buying a mac book for starting uni in september but Someone told me their not comparable with Microsoft office, word etc which I will be using at uni. Is this true? Thanx in advance.
No, there are Mac versions of Office and other plenty of productivity suites (iWork, Google Docs/Sheets/Slides, OpenOffice etc) that can export documents in Office-compatible formats.
Nurseclaire
Rep:
?
Thanx for replying, sorry I'm not very clued up on all the terminology. Does that mean if I'm doing something at uni on Microsoft works (office) or summit and I save it on my usb. Can I then access that and continue working on it or would I be best just buying a normal laptop? Thanx again.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nurseclaire)
Thanx for replying, sorry I'm not very clued up on all the terminology. Does that mean if I'm doing something at uni on Microsoft works (office) or summit and I save it on my usb. Can I then access that and continue working on it or would I be best just buying a normal laptop? Thanx again.
Yes, they all use the same file formats.
BioGeek
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Office for Mac 2016 has just been released.
Nurseclaire
Rep:
?
(Original post by BioGeek)
Office for Mac 2016 has just been released.
Ok thanx for your help.
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's not really been my experience - if I open a Word document in Pages and try to save, it will prompt me to save it in Pages file format. Obviously I can just do a Save As back to Word format, but it's not really the same as opening a file, editing and then saving.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
12.12%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (23)
23.23%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (44)
44.44%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
16.16%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
4.04%

Watched Threads