The Student Room Group

Why is depression so common now?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jessyjellytot14
For example, not having access to social media means that they haven't been introduced to this system that can give out a delusional view of life.They don't have to put up with all the exam pressure that we do, the stress of applying to university, the stress of having to write a CV and a personal statement in order to please other people.

I'm sure they would much rather have those problems then having to deal with malnutrition, rife poverty, constant fear of their safety, lack of clean water, war, widespread corruption, lack of opportunities, dying of curable diseases, HIV/AIDS etc. Also if they are so happy then why are millions of them immigrating to first world countries?
Original post by cynicphysicist
I think it's always been this way, but what with the attempted destigmatisation of mental health people are a lot more open about depression and so it's seen as more common. I may be completely wrong, of course, but it's just a theory.

Yes it's definitely that plus healthcare in, say, the 50s was not as efficient as it is today. Plainly, doctors have gotten better at diagnosing and recognising depression.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending