The Student Room Group

Are you aiming for greatness?

I notice that I meet three kinds of people.

Type 1 - are out for money. They are solely after financial security and that is their main target. This group includes anyone cynical enough to be working in financial services or corporate law and most well-educated, attractive women that work less than full time permanently or not at all (husbands money)z

Type 2 - have no ambition in life. They just sit on their computer watching YouTube videos and making Memes or animated gifs. Often they are keyboard warriors and insult everyone they encounter because of their own insecurities.

Type 3 - people who are after greatness in whatever field they choose.

I wrote this post because I met someone today from that last category. She's a doctor working in Oxford. We were discussing about career choices and which speciality within medicine we wanted to go to. She wants to go into Geriatric Medicine. This is basically a speciality which you can't make much money in. It's not that prestigious and it's not as respected or as desirable as say, orthopaedics. I was so surprised and I let her know that. A girl with a distinction from Oxford Medical School, with 10+ publications including original research could basically do whatever she wants and she's picked a speciality like this?! But it turns out she's genuinely interested in helping the elder population in this country. She's done research into it and she talked about it so passionately - I was astonished. She just wanted to excel in that speciality and the money was irrelevant.

I wish I was like her. Everyone should aspire to be great rather than rich. I think the richness follows.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Type 3.
Reply 2
I remember this quote from a great film I saw a while back "Pursue excellence, and success will follow, pants down."
Reply 3
Richness doesn't always follow but you can be sure your happiness will always be there and money/living expenses will take care of itself. I agree everyone should aim to be type 3, but then again we can't all have successful laywers,doctors,psychologists...etc. We need those criminals, drug addicts, mental people...etc in order for some people in those profession to be successful in the 1st place.

This is why lot of radical ideas that seems all good and well in theory can never actually work such as state communism,,,etc(don't wanna go into debate about this please just accept as example) because once all the mass aim to do it then it loses it appeal.
Kind of. My drive isn't as strong as it once was but I still want to do something goodgreat
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Adipoptosis
I notice that I meet three kinds of people.

Type 1 - are out for money. They are solely after financial security and that is their main target. This group includes anyone cynical enough to be working in financial services or corporate law and most well-educated, attractive women that work less than full time permanently or not at all (husbands money)z

Type 2 - have no ambition in life. They just sit on their computer watching YouTube videos and making Memes or animated gifs. Often they are keyboard warriors and insult everyone they encounter because of their own insecurities.

Type 3 - people who are after greatness in whatever field they choose.

I wrote this post because I met someone today from that last category. She's a doctor working in Oxford. We were discussing about career choices and which speciality within medicine we wanted to go to. She wants to go into Geriatric Medicine. This is basically a speciality which you can't make much money in. It's not that prestigious and it's not as respected or as desirable as say, orthopaedics. I was so surprised and I let her know that. A girl with a distinction from Oxford Medical School, with 10+ publications including original research could basically do whatever she wants and she's picked a speciality like this?! But it turns out she's genuinely interested in helping the elder population in this country. She's done research into it and she talked about it so passionately - I was astonished. She just wanted to excel in that speciality and the money was irrelevant.

I wish I was like her. Everyone should aspire to be great rather than rich. I think the richness follows.

Type 3 people could easily get rich but they choose to be poor.
Reply 6
I'm not aiming for greatness. Greatness aims for me.
Reply 7
Original post by Raven of the Sun
Type 3 people could easily get rich but they choose to be poor.

Most of the billionaires in the world are type 3, apart from a few all the techs, movie stars...etc don't start out and aim to be rich. No one 'choose' to be poor unless it is morally wrong in their belief. Even if you work at foster home and if someone offer you £100k a year you don't turn that down for £30k a year and 'choose' it.
I'm currently aiming to be earning enough money for myself to live on and have a little bit spare for poops n' giggles. I don't see why I'd bother pursuing it further, I'm happy in being content.
Original post by Ecro
I'm not aiming for greatness. Greatness aims for me.

-_________________-
I am already great. I can't be tied down into your sections or types. I am different from anyone else. :proud:
I make for an astronomical Type 3, I really do. I'm gonna be so ****ing huge - just you guys watch.
Reply 12
Original post by + polarity -
Kind of. My drive isn't as strong as it once was but I still want to do something goodgreat

Such as?
Original post by Write
Such as?

I think robots and AI are really cool and have a lot of potential to be useful to us, so maybe a contribution to the field. But it's so big and busy and interdisciplinary that I don't (yet) know what I would want to focus on in particular, (or how important any individual contribution can be).
There are people with money who are unhappy.

Health is wealth.
Original post by Adipoptosis

At least part of your impression is because you're viewing from outside medicine. When you work with these specialities each day, the people you respect are those that are evidently incredibly intelligent and are good at their job. If anything you get less respect for being an orthopod - they're stereotyped as only knowing about fractures and nothing else. Gerries lands you the normal (very good) wage every speciality gets has excellent job security with our ageing population.
(edited 8 years ago)
I would aim for nothing less.

Although now that everyone else has said they aim to be great I sound very cliche. I'm not bothered so much by money etc (although I do want to live comfortably), but I'm ambitious and get what I want; if I don't, I don't let go without a fight.
I want to be great enough to have a biopic after I die :yep:
Original post by nexttime
At least part of your impression is because you're viewing from outside medicine. When you work with these specialities each day, the people you respect are those that are evidently incredibly intelligent and are good at their job. If anything you get less respect for being an orthopod - they're stereotyped as only knowing about fractures and nothing else. Gerries lands you the normal (very good) wage every speciality gets has excellent job security with our ageing population.

Well, when you say people respect you for being knowledgeable and have an excellent command of your own speciality, these are some of the important motivations for people aiming for 'greatness' as opposed to money. And I agree that orthropods get less respect within medicine.

HOWEVER, when it comes to wages its a different story. Geriatrics and Acute Medicine are basically the only undersubscribed ST jobs available. Everything else within medicine is more competitive. And then CT1 surgery (and even more so ST1 surgery - RT) is far more competitive than CT1 medicine. And I believe this is all down to private practice potential. Yes, excellent job security, but thats true of anything in medicine. Ageing populations also get NOF#s and arthritis!
Reply 19
I think you've missed a type 4 tbh, I meet some hard working retail staff at Tesco who want to do better but lack the resources. Despite hating their jobs they aren't lazy and find pride in working for their money. The world isn't black and white.. tbh there are 1000000000000s types of people, your three groups are just a drop in the ocean.

Quick Reply

Latest