The Student Room Group

Exam boards?

Hi! I'm in year nine and was wondering what are the differences between the different exam boards for gcse (AQA, OCR, EDEXCEL...). I'm taking all my GCSEs with AQA except triple science with OCR and electronic products with EDEXCEL. Also do universities, sixth form etc prefer certain exam boards or are they all equal? Thanks! 😊
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Well, for me personally, AQA had less content but more application than OCR science wise (i did AQA, My bro did OCR)

It doesn't make a difference to universities, you still get the same qualification
Reply 2
Original post by Toastie2001
Hi! I'm in year nine and was wondering what are the differences between the different exam boards for gcse (AQA, OCR, EDEXCEL...). I'm taking all my GCSEs with AQA except triple science with OCR and electronic products with EDEXCEL.

There isn't a massive difference as they all have to contain the content required by OFQUAL

Also do universities, sixth form etc prefer certain exam boards or are they all equal? Thanks! 😊

They are all equal - different boards might suit different people but overall there is minimal difference and they are cross checked every year to ensure the standards remain comparable.
Reply 3
WJEC in the house:biggrin:
Not much of a difference, and it's subject dependent.

For Modern World History, OCR is widely regarded as the most difficult due to the sheer amount of content to be learned and then applied.

Skips :smile:
Hi! I'm in year nine and was wondering what are the differences between the different exam boards for gcse (AQA, OCR, EDEXCEL...). I'm taking all my GCSEs with AQA except triple science with OCR and electronic products with EDEXCEL. Also do universities, sixth form etc prefer certain exam boards or are they all equal? Thanks! 😊

Exam Boards offer different course for different subjects. Each developed the own course, know as a specification, and the department at you school will pick their preferred specification offered by the different exam boards. One might have three exams, the other two and coursework, etc. Exam boards also offer different subjects, for example, AQA is the ONLY exam board to offer A-Levels in History of Art, Philosophy, Archeology and Creative Writing, so the history of art department would have to go with AQA. The same applies to edexcel for Italian and Music Technology A-levels and OCR for Home Economics, Latin and Classical Greek. When applying to university, they won't even know which exam board you did for GCSE/A-Level, all your application will say is that you have GCSE Electronic Products at grade B for example, so they are all equal.

As far as universities or sixth forms are concerned, they're all equal (you're not going to have any advantage by taking a certain exam board, or IGCSEs over GCSEs). Exam boards differ in terms of what you learn (though this is probably more relevant at A Level) and some people will argue that some boards are harder/easier for certain subjects but really, the differences between boards are small. Don't worry about it.

Quick Reply

Latest